Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 289

Anybody own the fluke 289 what Do u think. I would like to have a meter of that caliber but am worried it would be far to big for day to day use.

I have not used mine enough to really comment . I would not consider using this ( 289 ) for day to day for what I do ( I use a 333 with a broken selector dial , lol ).

Go online and read the user manual for it. If it looks like it would see some decent use out of you then by all means purchase it.

If it looks like you will never use most of the features of the meter then pass on it.

I have a 189...nice meter but I dont drag it around with me. It stays in the truck.

I got a good deal on it...... thats the only reason I bought it. Use it only when I think some jackhole is gonna question my readings.

You know the guys .... "Did you use a fluke or some other brand".......lol

It would be great to have a data logger. But I think it will stay in my truck most of the time. I do need a new meter so I think I will hold off and get something i think i can use day to.day. I'm looking at the 1589 now it has a built.in megger

I use a 902 for day to day volt/amp stuff, and have an 87V for more serious jobs. 52-2 for temperature. This has worked for me for years. I'll probably get a 381 iflex and a 289 in the future.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I have a 289,as I post this it is sitting on my kitchen table.Took it home as my stove was out,no bake.Open glow coil!

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I got a good deal on it...... thats the only reason I bought it. Use it only when I think some jackhole is gonna question my readings.
    What good does that do unless you have a current calibration tag though? Fluke instrument specifications are only guaranteed with annual calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    What good does that do unless you have a current calibration tag though? Fluke instrument specifications are only guaranteed with annual calibration.
    For what it may be worth .... At least with a 289 it greatly reduces the odds that someone would show up with a better tool. And if they do you could say " lets track this issue for a few days and see where we're at " , lol.

We are not talking court of law here....... we are talking about fellow co workers or others in the industry who might question my meter.

You know the guys.... The guys who will question anything but a fluke......lol

The jackholes.....who have 5 years in the biz and will tell you flat out to your face that no meter is as accurate as a fluke.....or that if it isnt a fluke then they dont trust it.

Thats who its for.

We work in a 10 percent world...... some people have a hard time understanding that and some people have a hard time coming up with a reason why something is not working right and a lot of them blame it on their or your tools....

Could you elaborate on the statement "we work in a ten percent world"?

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Could you elaborate on the statement "we work in a ten percent world"?
    Perhaps 1 in 10 know what the **** they are talking about when push comes to shove( I'm just guessing ).

I have been to many commissioning meetings in that the engineering firm used cheap tools. Every reading will be different from a Fluke 289 as compared to a 333 . It's always best to use the higher end instrument in cases like this and then play dumb , lol.

That's kinda what I was thinking, and I would agree with that sentiment. I also think the kind of people who read this forum after work are more likely to be 10 percenters than anything else.

-Thomas Jefferson

Is a yearly calibrated 289 going to read "that" much differently than one that was never calibrated??
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast