+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compressor died! Why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

compressor died! Why?

So yesterday i ran a no cooling call. 5ton trane heat pump for a training room. Low pressures, 40deg superheat, no subcooling, flahsing sight glass, and going off on freeze stat. I charged the unit to 10deg superheat as specified by trane per the space and ambient conditions. Today no cooling. Go back out and compressor is dead. Pulling 91amps then tripping the internal. I weighed out the charge and i was dead nuts on the charge per the installers notes. I personally am ok with it but the account manager wants a detailed explanation as to why this compressor died. I dont beleive i did anything wrong but Im not perfect. Any one have an idea?

Post Likes
    Oops. This doesnt belong here.

Post Likes
    OK, moved to tech to tech.

Anyway, I'd guess comp was damaged from running hot with the 40° superheat. Them running it low on charge probably did it in.

Post Likes
    Kinda what i thought. A system running that low on charge and then actually getting loaded up and doing work could cause a failure. You just sorta feel bad when stuff like that happens.

Post Likes
    You slugged the hell out of it when you recharged it....j/k.

Having to defend my service practices to an accouns manager would piss me off to no end. I once lost a compressor after a quarterly and got the 4rth degree from that companies facilities manager. He wanted to know why I didnt catch it.

I told him s**t happens.

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. You do your best and dont apologize

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    You slugged the hell out of it when you recharged it....j/k.

Having to defend my service practices to an accouns manager would piss me off to no end. I once lost a compressor after a quarterly and got the 4rth degree from that companies facilities manager. He wanted to know why I didnt catch it.

I told him s**t happens.

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. You do your best and dont apologize
    True so true. I came up on a unit in real bad shape, no PM in years. cleaned it up, checked it out, left it running as designed. Dropped dead two days later..

don't give an 80 yr old man a 20 yr old tune up sometime they can't handle it

Post Likes
    just tell the jack@@@; you were not there when it took a dump
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    just tell the jack@@@; you were not there when it took a dump
    this would be my reply

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=bowhunter86;13345131] I personally am ok with it but the account manager wants a detailed explanation as to why this compressor died.

If you change it out, throw it on his desk and tell him to tear it down for his answer.

Post Likes
    Running a system low on refrigerant overheats and stresses the compressor. It''s a gamble, it could last for years, it sometimes fails quickly.

I can cut the compressor apart and do a detailed autopsy. It will cost you an additional $$$.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    can you reverse the roation and break it loose? Scroll compressor? Did you hit it with a hamer, you would be surprised that sometimes works. Hard start kit?

The account manager is just doing his job, hes not accussing you, is he? He has to give an answer to the customer

Post Likes
    Depending on how long it was working improperly, it got used to that. Now all of a sudden it has to do work and it doesn't like doing work. How many times have we seen this with condenser motors? The day after you clean a plugged coil the motor takes a crap.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    A guy i worked with was servicing a unit on a milk cooler, while pumping it down to change the drier the compressor died... Luckily the customer could see that it was just a coincidence.

Years later on another farm i replaced three small milk tanks with a 15,000L one, left a smaller tank running in the room next door, while i was back there the next day finishing off i heard the old compressor start to labour then a hum and silence! Not a day too soon!

I have offered to have compressors sent away for a failure report (compressor rebuilder here do them) but once the customer realised they would have to pay for this service they soon changed their mind. I expect though you would have to be careful or you could end up with a customer wanting you to provide a report for free proving you didn't kill it.

Everything that has been made will fail and turn back to dust in, its just a mater of time.

Post Likes
    Before i put power back to it after the internal closed i hit it with a hammer a few times. Once it came on there was no doubt she was shot. It sounded all broken apart inside. And no i dont think hes doubting me hes just looking for an explanation for the customer. But the way i see it thats his problem. He sits in the air conditioning all day and talks on the phone. I work in the heat all day and fix people like hims' air conditioning. I figure thats his job and it doesnt concern me.

Post Likes

HAPPENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter86 View Post
    So yesterday i ran a no cooling call. 5ton trane heat pump for a training room. Low pressures, 40deg superheat, no subcooling, flahsing sight glass, and going off on freeze stat. I charged the unit to 10deg superheat as specified by trane per the space and ambient conditions. Today no cooling. Go back out and compressor is dead. Pulling 91amps then tripping the internal. I weighed out the charge and i was dead nuts on the charge per the installers notes. I personally am ok with it but the account manager wants a detailed explanation as to why this compressor died. I dont beleive i did anything wrong but Im not perfect. Any one have an idea?

Number of things; (this has happend to me before)
    Oil and refrigerant mix in the system, low refrigerant pressure = low oil pressure. The motor also ran without a load which causes it to overheat.
    It could of had damaged windings by the time you got there. I always OHM windings and test caps when refrigerant loss happens to insure me that the motor is not failing, but to be honest there are no clear signs of a upcoming lock up
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post Likes
    I will have to throw a hammer in my veto!!!!!!!!lol

Post Likes
    Well hvac17011. I dont think you should be hitting those digital scrolls with a hammer. Thats something us working men do to try and get a customer some ac. It never works but its worth a try. Just stick with your digi cools and fancy screw drivers. Im always here to do your repair work on a saturday if you need me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter86 View Post
    Well hvac17011. I dont think you should be hitting those digital scrolls with a hammer. Thats something us working men do to try and get a customer some ac. It never works but its worth a try. Just stick with your digi cools and fancy screw drivers. Im always here to do your repair work on a saturday if you need me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
    We use to hit Dunham Bush Medium Screw Compressors with a 2 pound sledge hammer.

Oil float would stick.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in