Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Before i put power back to it after the internal closed i hit it with a hammer a few times. Once it came on there was no doubt she was shot. It sounded all broken apart inside. And no i dont think hes doubting me hes just looking for an explanation for the customer. But the way i see it thats his problem. He sits in the air conditioning all day and talks on the phone. I work in the heat all day and fix people like hims' air conditioning. I figure thats his job and it doesnt concern me.

HAPPENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter86 View Post
    So yesterday i ran a no cooling call. 5ton trane heat pump for a training room. Low pressures, 40deg superheat, no subcooling, flahsing sight glass, and going off on freeze stat. I charged the unit to 10deg superheat as specified by trane per the space and ambient conditions. Today no cooling. Go back out and compressor is dead. Pulling 91amps then tripping the internal. I weighed out the charge and i was dead nuts on the charge per the installers notes. I personally am ok with it but the account manager wants a detailed explanation as to why this compressor died. I dont beleive i did anything wrong but Im not perfect. Any one have an idea?

Number of things; (this has happend to me before)
    Oil and refrigerant mix in the system, low refrigerant pressure = low oil pressure. The motor also ran without a load which causes it to overheat.
    It could of had damaged windings by the time you got there. I always OHM windings and test caps when refrigerant loss happens to insure me that the motor is not failing, but to be honest there are no clear signs of a upcoming lock up
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

I will have to throw a hammer in my veto!!!!!!!!lol

Well hvac17011. I dont think you should be hitting those digital scrolls with a hammer. Thats something us working men do to try and get a customer some ac. It never works but its worth a try. Just stick with your digi cools and fancy screw drivers. Im always here to do your repair work on a saturday if you need me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter86 View Post
    Well hvac17011. I dont think you should be hitting those digital scrolls with a hammer. Thats something us working men do to try and get a customer some ac. It never works but its worth a try. Just stick with your digi cools and fancy screw drivers. Im always here to do your repair work on a saturday if you need me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
    We use to hit Dunham Bush Medium Screw Compressors with a 2 pound sledge hammer.

Oil float would stick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12