Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok I just got the model number for the Rheem. Does it look like a solid unit?

Condenser model :14AJM49A01
    Air handler model : RHLLHM4821JA

Mexican made builder model. No pressure switches. Haven't caused us much trouble though. Good numbers, 16 SEER, 13 EER. Good for a 4 ton. B

Long ways from an RARL that I was thinking. That 049 is a new one in the line with more efficiency. So my comment on pricing doesn't apply. The builder Rheems are low priced so not surprising this comes in similar to the XR13. This is not a variable speed air handler but neither was the Trane bid.

Eeek. I don't like the sound of a Mexican-made builder's unit. So basically this is a base model Rheem without any kind of modern efficiencies like multi-speed blowers and multiple stage compressors?

Hey Baldloonie and others--

Thanks for all the help. I'm out of the Rheem builder's model game. I'm going to do a bit more research and find some other models and brands that look good to me and then re-post. You guys are awesome.

Even some of the deluxe units are made "South". For the money, the 14AJM getting 16 SEER is a good deal.

The RHLL uses the X13 motor which is a fixed speed high efficiency. It doesn't vary but uses less electricity than even variable speed in a lot of cases which is why mfrs. love them.

VS and 2 stage compressors gets pricey. I like VS motors but not 2 stage outdoor units personally.

I'm a bang-for-the buck kind of guy. It's not necessarily that I'm adverse to the idea of getting something made outside of the US, but right now Florida Power & Light is giving a $780 rebate (am I allowed to say that?) on 16 SEER units, which would make some of the more cost prohibitive models on par with some of the entry level models in terms of pricing. If I can get one of the premium models for a few hundred more than a builder's model, it makes sense to go for it... right? I hear "builder's model" and I think something that is cheaply made.

I've started to look at American Standard since they're the same company as Trane but you don't seem to pay as much for the name. Tomorrow I'm going to be getting some prices on two models, the Platinum and Gold series compressors.

I'm looking at the 4A7A5049E Gold XI compressor or the 4A7A6048E Platinum XM compressor. The question is whether or not it's worth it to fork over the extra $$ for the two-stage compressor or the variable speed handlers. Any thoughts? What would you recommend for a solid, efficient, durable AC compressor/handler for South FL?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12