Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane 14.5 seer AC unit vs. Rheem 16 seer unit -- which bid to take?

Hi everyone--

Thanks in advance for your help and for taking the time to answer homeowner questions.

I live in South Florida in the Fort Lauderdale area and am in the process of replacing my old Trane 920XE (circa 1986) with a new unit that is more efficient and has an air handler that isn't rusted out like mine currently is! I bought this house about 2 years ago.

I am currently deciding between two quotes. Both include air handlers and all required installation extras like slabs and air handler stands.

Quote #1:
    Trane 4 ton 14.5 seer R410A a/c system.
    Trane condenser model # 4TTR3048D1000A.
    Trane air handler model # GAM5AOC48M41SA.
    Price: $

Quote #2:
    4-Ton Rheem Split System 16 seer 410A system (didn't get model numbers)
    Price: $

I know that Trane is supposedly the Cadillac of all AC units and, given the fact that mine has lasted 26 years, that seems to be the case. I don't know much about Rheem, but I've been quoted a unit that has a higher efficiency rating and is less in price, which makes me suspicious that it isn't as reliable or sturdy as the Trane unit. Trane comes with 10 years parts and 1 year labor, Rheem comes with 5 years parts, 3 years labor.

Again, I'm in South Florida, so my AC runs pretty much year round. Which is the better deal? Is it worth it to get the Trane for a bit of extra money and 1.5 less in seer ratings?
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-01-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: price

we dont allow pricing on this site so please remove. look at BBB ratings for each contractor that submitted the bid. the 16 seer seems like a better deal to me, but I also have recently become a fan of rheem over trane. I have had a few ECM indoor control modules and outdoor fan motors go bad on recently installed equipment. others may chime in.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Looks like someone else did it for me and that edits aren't allowed.

Let's say the contractors are a wash. Both are solid, reputable contractors, so my decision will be based solely on which unit gives me the most bang for my buck.

The Rheem should be a RARL something. JEZ is the standard unit and JEC is the communicating unit. Both are quite a notch above the XR13. The JEZ has a big fancy board monitoring operation and reporting faults. It has a compressor cover, 5 year replacement warranty if you lose the compressor. The JEC communicates with matching air handlers and thermostats. The RARL has the 2 stage scroll like a Trane 16i.

The XR13 is a nice 13 SEER unit bumped up with the use of the efficient blower motor. Couldn't find a rating with the GAM5 so not sure if it is really getting 14.5 or not. It does with the variable speed TAM7.

The GAM5 is a fixed speed high efficiency motor, a league below the TAM7 or the variable speed Rheem.

There's no reason the Rheem bid should be less. It should be lots more since you aren't comparing like products. It is comparable quality to Trane. It will have 10 year parts if registered. I'd sure want to see model #s from the Rheem dealer.

Oh, and I almost forgot-- this is a 4-ton system. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Air Movers

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Rheem should be a RARL something. JEZ is the standard unit and JEC is the communicating unit. Both are quite a notch above the XR13. The JEZ has a big fancy board monitoring operation and reporting faults. It has a compressor cover, 5 year replacement warranty if you lose the compressor. The JEC communicates with matching air handlers and thermostats. The RARL has the 2 stage scroll like a Trane 16i.

The XR13 is a nice 13 SEER unit bumped up with the use of the efficient blower motor. Couldn't find a rating with the GAM5 so not sure if it is really getting 14.5 or not. It does with the variable speed TAM7.

The GAM5 is a fixed speed high efficiency motor, a league below the TAM7 or the variable speed Rheem.

There's no reason the Rheem bid should be less. It should be lots more since you aren't comparing like products. It is comparable quality to Trane. It will have 10 year parts if registered. I'd sure want to see model #s from the Rheem dealer.
    Thanks BaldLoonie for the great post. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Rheem bid but will first ask for model numbers and post them here. On the contract, the work to be completed also includes:

New filter dryers for liquid line
    New filter dryer for suction line
    New condenser fuse box
    New electric whip for air handler ( if needed )
    New electric whip for compressor ( if needed )
    New drainage shut off switch
    New close valve to protect evaporator coil
    Outside elbow for drainage pipe
    Side glass for liquid line
    Extra liquid seal inside plenum for better leak protection
    Modification of air handler stands for better support

Is this missing anything potentially important and necessary for a new install?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    New filter dryer for suction line..
    Unless your existing unit has/had a burnout compressor, you don't want to install this, it will rust in no time in Fort Lauderdale and you will have a refrigerant leak.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

After 26 yrs the liquid line filter drier should be replaced out of hand and paint can stop the rust.

If they can't change the lineset, they should flush it and blow out with nitro. New liquid drier comes with the Rheem and is built in on an A-S. I wouldn't want a suction drier either.

Thanks all-- so is this quote missing anything important? And should I tell him not to put a suction drier on?

no suction drier..... they are a temporary thing....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast