Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    You guys really don't get it do you?

YES it is terrible that the government restricts our freedoms....YES they should not have to do that....but when it costs as much as it is costing us to keep people alive because of their unhealthy habits then something needs to be done.

You should be thanking the government, while they take away your big sippy cups they are saving you...yes YOU and me billions if not trillions of our tax dollars.

Some of you say let people live and die....that's a great theory until it's you...or your wife...or dad...mom..uncle..aunt..son...daughter...and the insurance company drops them cause they cost too much. Not to mention the vast majority of America is unhealthy...if we all die then who is left to keep the country going?

You scream like a teenager...just let me live free and do whatever I want...but when you have to file bankruptcy because your medical bills cost too much, remember that maybe buying a smaller coke, or carrying a 12 pack in the cooler...or drinking WATER...wasn't such a bad alternative after all.

All of this is relevant to healthcare....insurance companies are notorious for being there when it's time to collect your monthly payment...but when you get in a bind they tend to run...leaving you to file bankruptcy...this is why the government is stepping in there...don't believe me? Look it up
    Winston Churchill: "If you are not liberal when you are young, you have no heart... however: If you do not grow to be conservative, you have no brains".

Repeat after me student: "It is NOT the govt's job to regulate lives... it is the govt's job to guarantee individual freedoms and rights." What people do with those rights is not the govt's responsibility.

The problem lies in folks thinking someone has to 'fix' these issues... The answer is to let folks who make bad choices suffer the consequences of those choices. You would be amazed at how FAST folks make good choices when they have to suffer the results of bad choices.

IMO the problem is we do not teach the Constitution (and the other founding documents) as they were written and intended. If we did teach them in schools two things would happen:

1) Folks would understand these things, and
    2) We would not have such a worthless govt wasting our tax $$$'s.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Dear God Printer. The concept of FREEDOM is not based upon what is "good for the community", it has a little more to do with 'individual rights' and 'individual freedom of choice'. We are not an ant colony!
    What is a country and it's countrymen ? A community? Where is there a lack of freedom of choice? Buy two drinks if you need the sugar rush. But you do realize the soft drink and food retailers manipulate you to eat more so they can make more profit, that is the reason for the jumbo sizes. They know human nature and are playing with it, playing with your freedom of choice. Is it good for your country?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Maybe we should start arresting people if they dont exercise three times a week? Or how about no ice cream if your over a certain weight? I know thats not what I want our government involved in. People should be able to make their own decisions when it doesn't effect anyone else but themselves. And yes that includes seatbelts too. The government should not be so involved in personal behavior. But it is convenient for them to give tickets like we're criminals and make money for not wearing a seatbelt like we're some sort of danger to society. I prefer to be able to think for myself.
    But it does effect everyone else. All the health effects whether due to food, exercise, or seat belt choices effect all the others that pay for insurance or taxes since you have medicare for those over 65 (I think, feeling foggy today and do not feel like looking it up).
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Printer, I go to Waffle house here. I order a double order of bacon, a double order of sausage, 3 eggs over easy. And toast. I weigh 145# soaking wet.

What is theoretically worse? 6 slices of bacon, 4 sausages, 3 eggs, and toast slathered with extra butter...... or a big gulp?

Just answer that. What is worse? Then tell and explain to my Ethiopian body-frame why you need to tell me how much I am allowed to eat by your biased and prejudiced standards of 'what is safe for me'.

There.

Want to adjust my menu with your invasive liberal agenda? I just want you to leave me alone. I am a live and let live kinda guy.

I find it stunning that liberals come on here and cry about conservatives trying to regulate behavior. Sheesh! Soda-pop? Really? LOL!
    So you tell me, where do you start? What is your solution to 2/3rds of your country being overweight and 1/3rd being considered obese? The problem is that there are so few of you 145# soaking wet bacon, sausages, eggs, and toast slathered with extra butter eating Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I will concede that what the government is doing could be seen as in the best interest of the people en masse. But individual freedom is very imprortannt to many Americans and it sets bad precedents. Its dangerous because where does it end? If you give them an inch who knows what they will tell you what you cant do next? Playing football or skiing is dangerous maybe we should outlaw that too? I dont want anyone telling me, a consenting adult how much I can drink, any more than I want anyone telling me what is allowed or not allowed in the bedroom etc. I dont consider myself an over the top freedom guy but how much I can drink, come on. If you dont draw a line, they could walk all over you and treat us like we're babies or worse. I dont like it at all.
    Of course it is a question of balance. And the public will tell the government how far is too much, or do you guys not have control over your politicians? There is so much talk from you guys about freedoms but so little about responsibilities. Do you not realize being a citizen of a country involves both? You are talking like a bunch of liberals (by your definitions), you want to have it all (all 32 ounces) and none of the responsibilities. You would think liberals being liberals that they would want free soft drinks or at least buckets of pop subsidized by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Winston Churchill: "If you are not liberal when you are young, you have no heart... however: If you do not grow to be conservative, you have no brains".

Repeat after me student: "It is NOT the govt's job to regulate lives... it is the govt's job to guarantee individual freedoms and rights." What people do with those rights is not the govt's responsibility.

The problem lies in folks thinking someone has to 'fix' these issues... The answer is to let folks who make bad choices suffer the consequences of those choices. You would be amazed at how FAST folks make good choices when they have to suffer the results of bad choices.

IMO the problem is we do not teach the Constitution (and the other founding documents) as they were written and intended. If we did teach them in schools two things would happen:

1) Folks would understand these things, and
    2) We would not have such a worthless govt wasting our tax $$$'s.
    You are wrong....people will not and do not make good choices FAST when they have to suffer the consequences...do you realize how many people we have dying, fat, can't even walk to the toilet...but they won't stop eating big macs or drinking big sippy cups.

We Americans are some of the most hard headed fools on this planet, and being fat will not change our way of thinking...we will just get fatter....unless there's a diet pill we can take so that we don't have to exercise.

I will repeat after you....It's NOT the govt's job to regulate lives....unless you count the nation being fat under the General Welfare clause of the constitution.

For some reason I still don't believe that if your loved one was sick with no insurance that you would just let them suffer and die a slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    So you tell me, where do you start? What is your solution to 2/3rds of your country being overweight and 1/3rd being considered obese? The problem is that there are so few of you 145# soaking wet bacon, sausages, eggs, and toast slathered with extra butter eating Americans.
    I would start by discriminating against fat people.

Not to insult anyone! Some folks can no more help being heavy than I can help being thin. Just born that way.

I would start with government workers, they have great health insurance on the public dime. If they are obese, loose it in 6 months or "you're fired".
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

We had a frozen pizza for supper tonight.... just for those who are against it.

It was good too.

You are wrong....people will not and do not make good choices FAST when they have to suffer the consequences...do you realize how many people we have dying, fat, can't even walk to the toilet...but they won't stop eating big macs or drinking big sippy cups.

We Americans are some of the most hard headed fools on this planet, and being fat will not change our way of thinking...we will just get fatter....unless there's a diet pill we can take so that we don't have to exercise.

I will repeat after you....It's NOT the govt's job to regulate lives....unless you count the nation being fat under the General Welfare clause of the constitution.

For some reason I still don't believe that if your loved one was sick with no insurance that you would just let them suffer and die a slow death.
    No sir, I think YOU are wrong. Example: Cut off ALL the financial support of someone living on the dole, and look how fast they get a job. I have literally witnessed this repeatedly. If you do not understand the basic instinct of survival... well perhaps you have never had to use it? Maybe life has been so easy (read that fixed at other's expense), you have never had to sweat and struggle?

It is not the educated high minded folks that succeed... it is the hard workers. Get used to this, because WHEN the GOP and Mitt take over govt in January, you will loose all that tax-payer subsidized support... and will have to work for a living like the rest of us.

I notice you did not respond to the quote by Winston Churchill... Ever think Mr Churchill might be smarter than you are? Like maybe the guy that ran WW2 might have a little more understanding of human nature than a student who is mostly dreaming of what 'should be'... rather than experienced at what IS?

To answer you quotes:
    First; statistics I have read suggest obesity is on the way DOWN. Might want to keep on top of the latest trend there guy.
    Next: You have still not addressed why it is my problem if someone else is irresponsible.
    Next: The general welfare clause was NOT written to mean a nanny govt; it was written by folks who believed the ONLY job of govt was to protect given rights and freedoms... NOT run folks lives.
    Next: My Dad IS dieing a slow death... he lives with me. Might want to be sure you are on firm ground before you open your mouth and shoot from the hip... Remember that saying: Better to be quiet and let folks wonder about your intelligence... rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt?
    BTW: There is a HUGE difference between a family member or a close friend needing help... vs the govt managing folks lives by extorting tax $$$ from one group to buy votes from another group.

Now: I am willing to wager a $1 bill (a Washington), that if you google long enough, you will find someone in the food service industry that is getting a windfall from this proposed law. You see, govt is corrupt. They 'sell' folks on some idea which has good feelings attached to it... when in reality it is crony politics to buy votes. If you do not realize EVERY polecat does this regularly, you are as niave as a new-born kitten when it comes to politics.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

No sir, I think YOU are wrong. Example: Cut off ALL the financial support of someone living on the dole, and look how fast they get a job. I have literally witnessed this repeatedly. If you do not understand the basic instinct of survival... well perhaps you have never had to use it? Maybe life has been so easy (read that fixed at other's expense), you have never had to sweat and struggle?

It is not the educated high minded folks that succeed... it is the hard workers. Get used to this, because WHEN the GOP and Mitt take over govt in January, you will loose all that tax-payer subsidized support... and will have to work for a living like the rest of us.

I notice you did not respond to the quote by Winston Churchill... Ever think Mr Churchill might be smarter than you are? Like maybe the guy that ran WW2 might have a little more understanding of human nature than a student who is mostly dreaming of what 'should be'... rather than experienced at what IS?

To answer you quotes:
    First; statistics I have read suggest obesity is on the way DOWN. Might want to keep on top of the latest trend there guy.
    Next: You have still not addressed why it is my problem if someone else is irresponsible.
    Next: The general welfare clause was NOT written to mean a nanny govt; it was written by folks who believed the ONLY job of govt was to protect given rights and freedoms... NOT run folks lives.
    Next: My Dad IS dieing a slow death... he lives with me. Might want to be sure you are on firm ground before you open your mouth and shoot from the hip... Remember that saying: Better to be quiet and let folks wonder about your intelligence... rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt?
    BTW: There is a HUGE difference between a family member or a close friend needing help... vs the govt managing folks lives by extorting tax $$$ from one group to buy votes from another group.

Now: I am willing to wager a $1 bill (a Washington), that if you google long enough, you will find someone in the food service industry that is getting a windfall from this proposed law. You see, govt is corrupt. They 'sell' folks on some idea which has good feelings attached to it... when in reality it is crony politics to buy votes. If you do not realize EVERY polecat does this regularly, you are as niave as a new-born kitten when it comes to politics.
    What statistics have you read to suggest obesity is declining? Don't know how credible these guys are but it is a neat slide show.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

It is not your problem if you have a bunch of people that can not get through doors anymore, but it is the governments. They have a vested interest in keeping healthy productive taxpayers around.

How will anyone make an extra buck from smaller drink sizes? Maybe by selling more cups but since the soft drink and restaurants are against it then I guess it is the cup manufacturers. Mind you, if it were just a case of government being corrupt you would think the soft drink manufacturers would have deep enough pockets to win this one, which they probably will.

So since we are not covering any new ground I will add one final thought and bow out. So in a nutshell, liberals want a healthy population while conservatives (not really sure what word to use there, use the term that you like) are happy to have a country where 2/3rds of the population is fat or obese.

To answer you quotes:

This is not just about the masses getting a job...which is going to be hell anyway with the requirements these days. This is about healthcare, and just like corrupt government, it's also about corrupt insurance companies.

I DID address why it is your concern if other people are irresponsible...it costs you and me...taxpayers...money.

You can live your life doing all the right things...working a job...paying for insurance...and then one day you get sick and the insurance company drops you, leaving you to pay the bill...you can't do it so you have to file bankruptcy.

The number of medical related bankruptcies is well over 50% of all bankruptcies in America and the majority of those people had medical insurance before they got sick.

The General Welfare clause......remember this line?

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

When bankruptcies become a huge issue in America due to medical bills the government does have the power and the right to do something about it. You might also look up the definition of the words General...and Welfare.

You assume that I'm just a guy who sits on his butt collecting government checks....that is not at all the case.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    What statistics have you read to suggest obesity is declining? Don't know how credible these guys are but it is a neat slide show.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

It is not your problem if you have a bunch of people that can not get through doors anymore, but it is the governments. They have a vested interest in keeping healthy productive taxpayers around.

How will anyone make an extra buck from smaller drink sizes? Maybe by selling more cups but since the soft drink and restaurants are against it then I guess it is the cup manufacturers. Mind you, if it were just a case of government being corrupt you would think the soft drink manufacturers would have deep enough pockets to win this one, which they probably will.

So since we are not covering any new ground I will add one final thought and bow out. So in a nutshell, liberals want a healthy population while conservatives (not really sure what word to use there, use the term that you like) are happy to have a country where 2/3rds of the population is fat or obese.
    First: Just about ANY discussion, one can find info on the net to support BOTH sides of the discussion... so siting links is IMO kinda like saying a polecat says this or that... not worth the electrons to light up the screen.

IMO we still are missing the point: In the USA, the founding fathers and the founding documents are clear the govt is NOT to engage in this behavior. Their ONLY job is to guarantee freedom and rights. It is the responsibility of each citizen to take care of themselves... and if they do not they suffer the consequences. Nanny govts do NOT make life better, unless you are one of the folks living on the dole and like it.

Which means I am supporting your ineptness... which is violating my right to freedom.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

This is not just about the masses getting a job...which is going to be hell anyway with the requirements these days. This is about healthcare, and just like corrupt government, it's also about corrupt insurance companies.

I DID address why it is your concern if other people are irresponsible...it costs you and me...taxpayers...money.

You can live your life doing all the right things...working a job...paying for insurance...and then one day you get sick and the insurance company drops you, leaving you to pay the bill...you can't do it so you have to file bankruptcy.

The number of medical related bankruptcies is well over 50% of all bankruptcies in America and the majority of those people had medical insurance before they got sick.

The General Welfare clause......remember this line?

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

When bankruptcies become a huge issue in America due to medical bills the government does have the power and the right to do something about it. You might also look up the definition of the words General...and Welfare.

You assume that I'm just a guy who sits on his butt collecting government checks....that is not at all the case.
    However, I am not part of what you refer to as a dishonest medical/insurance mess... I use a private Christian ministry that shares medical bills... and they DO pay when I need it (not when I frivously want it).

If we took govt TOTALLY out of the picture... the system would take care of itself... it is called the marketplace. When one co charges too much, folks just quit buying from them and buy from the less costly one... and the co 'gouging' the customer has to either become competitive or go out of business. The marketplace is has worked for decades, centuries, even millienium... until govts get involved and screw it up... USUALLY IN THE NAME (INCORRECTLY MIND YOU) OF FAIRNESS.

I am closing in on 60 years of age... I have seen a lot of stuff younger folks have not. My observations say most of the folks who want govt control, also want 'govt nanny state'... which is both illegal (constitutionally), as well as violating the rights of the working and tax-paying citizen.

So tell me student: What gives you the right to take my $$$ against my will? The govt? What happens when the govt takes YOUR $$$ against your will to finance something you do not like? Will you agree with it?
    I have seen countless young folks who are liberal... learn the HARD way govts take unfair advantage of EVEYRONE... they either live in denial or they become conservative.

Reminds me of a story:
    Kid wants to start a lemonaid stand... they are written a ticket by the govt for:
    NO tax license
    NO business license
    NO healthcare license
    NO food vending license
    NO inspection
    NO proper cash handling facility (cash register)
    and about a dozen more.
    There was a whole hour John Stossel on FOX about this a few mos back.

When John Stossel went to local govt agencies to inquire about how to start the lemonaide stand... nobody even knew what all he had to do... but they KNEW he could not do it legally, and they WOULD enforce the law.
    SOOO: the govt will not even bother to tell you what the law is... but hey sure as heck will fine you as much as their greedly little minds can get away with if you violate the same laws they will not bother to explain.
    Sounds more like a third world banana dictatorship than a democracy to me.

So tell me student; when does this institution called govt need to be regulated... and how would YOU regulate the govt to make it FAIR for ALL interests... AND keep within the bounds of the Constitution?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast