Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Two points:

1) If someone wants to eat/drink themselves into obesity... it is their right to do so... and THEY take responsibility for it. They get to pay higher insurance rates (IF someone will insure them, which IMO is totally fair). Nothing like responsibility to make someone take care of themselves.

2) Glenn and a few others hit the nail square: The responsibility of govt is to guarantee our rights and freedoms... NOT to control out lives. The latte is our responsibility... and anyone who does not do take that responsibility wisely... well they NEED to SUFFER the consequences of their bad decisions... it is called learning by experience... which is IMO the way life works.
    If it were a small portion of your population that eats/drinks themselves into obesity I doubt it would be much of an issue. So tell me, how many percent of Americans do you think are obese?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    If it were a small portion of your population that eats/drinks themselves into obesity I doubt it would be much of an issue. So tell me, how many percent of Americans do you think are obese?
    Honestly Printer, I really do not care. It is not my responsibility to take care of someone that will not take care of themselves... and it is NOT the govt's responsibility to do so either.

What we need to do is get away from the nanny state mentality and make folks pay the consequences for their bad decisions. You would be amazed at how fast folks will start taking responsibility when they KNOW they will NOT get a handout.

Having said all this; there IS a place for charity... however govt is definitely NOT that place. IMO it needs to be handled on a LOCAL basis, by private interests. And while I am it... IMO there should NOT be a career of managing charities... it should be a volunteer thingy. Folks receive more from the physical act of volunteering than they do from the act of giving $$$.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Not to interrupt,.. but let me throw this in for consideration:

Should we limit cigarettes to smaller sizes? Should we limit beer cans to 6 ounces? Should we limit butter sales to 1 stick packages? Should we limit bacon packages to 4 slices? Should we limit steak cuts to 8 ounce portions?

I am just trying to point out the foolishness of limiting sizes. I am not advocating drinking a gallon of coke a day, it is just a foolish waste of time and effort AND MONEY by any government to try to regulate such stuff. I am not saying it is theoretically wrong in a utopian wonder-world liberal heaven, but just stupid in practical application here and now. Today.

They cannot control crack-cocain, meth, daily murders, potholes,.... I am just saying that it is foolish in allocation of resources, and practical application.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Honestly Printer, I really do not care. It is not my responsibility to take care of someone that will not take care of themselves... and it is NOT the govt's responsibility to do so either.

What we need to do is get away from the nanny state mentality and make folks pay the consequences for their bad decisions. You would be amazed at how fast folks will start taking responsibility when they KNOW they will NOT get a handout.

Having said all this; there IS a place for charity... however govt is definitely NOT that place. IMO it needs to be handled on a LOCAL basis, by private interests. And while I am it... IMO there should NOT be a career of managing charities... it should be a volunteer thingy. Folks receive more from the physical act of volunteering than they do from the act of giving $$$.
    Who is saying anything about a handout or charity? I thought this was about regulating the size of sugar loaded soft drinks.

Does the government regulate seat belts in a car? Damn nanny government sticking its nose in the car buying public's business all these years. Not like the car companies fought against making them mandatory.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 33.9% (2007-2008)
    Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

Since the government has not been regulating the size of drink cups (which the retail and soft drink industry have been increasing constantly so that bigger seems normal) along with the other lifestyle choices being made truly shows that 68% of the population will not take care of themselves. If you think this will not cost you in the long term or put a financial strain on your country you have your head in the sand.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Not to interrupt,.. but let me throw this in for consideration:

Should we limit cigarettes to smaller sizes? Should we limit beer cans to 6 ounces? Should we limit butter sales to 1 stick packages? Should we limit bacon packages to 4 slices? Should we limit steak cuts to 8 ounce portions?

I am just trying to point out the foolishness of limiting sizes. I am not advocating drinking a gallon of coke a day, it is just a foolish waste of time and effort AND MONEY by any government to try to regulate such stuff. I am not saying it is theoretically wrong in a utopian wonder-world liberal heaven, but just stupid in practical application here and now. Today.

They cannot control crack-cocain, meth, daily murders, potholes,.... I am just saying that it is foolish in allocation of resources, and practical application.
    But buying a bucket of pop is not like buying a package of bacon. You do not necessarily finish the bacon off in one sitting, might even share it with someone. Don't know too many people that pass around the huge cups of pop they get in the movie theater. It is not foolish reducing the sizes. It is well proven that if you put bigger size helpings of food in front of people that they are going to finish it when the same person would be satisfied with the next size smaller if that was all that was offered (which is still bigger than the sizes offered 20 years ago).

So I just came out of a 130 degree attic and I cant get as big a drink as I want? Just because someone else is obese? What am I, four years old?
    F that! And in a similar vein, the cops can give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Who am I potentially hurting but myself? I dont need another mother. Whats next, If the cops find me with more than 30ozs. of pop will I spend the night in a fat cell?

But buying a bucket of pop is not like buying a package of bacon. You do not necessarily finish the bacon off in one sitting, might even share it with someone. Don't know too many people that pass around the huge cups of pop they get in the movie theater. It is not foolish reducing the sizes. It is well proven that if you put bigger size helpings of food in front of people that they are going to finish it when the same person would be satisfied with the next size smaller if that was all that was offered (which is still bigger than the sizes offered 20 years ago).
    Printer, I go to Waffle house here. I order a double order of bacon, a double order of sausage, 3 eggs over easy. And toast. I weigh 145# soaking wet.

What is theoretically worse? 6 slices of bacon, 4 sausages, 3 eggs, and toast slathered with extra butter...... or a big gulp?

Just answer that. What is worse? Then tell and explain to my Ethiopian body-frame why you need to tell me how much I am allowed to eat by your biased and prejudiced standards of 'what is safe for me'.

There.

Want to adjust my menu with your invasive liberal agenda? I just want you to leave me alone. I am a live and let live kinda guy.

I find it stunning that liberals come on here and cry about conservatives trying to regulate behavior. Sheesh! Soda-pop? Really? LOL!

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    So I just came out of a 130 degree attic and I cant get as big a drink as I want? Just because someone else is obese? What am I, four years old?
    F that! And in a similar vein, the cops can give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Who am I potentially hurting but myself? I dont need another mother. Whats next, If the cops find me with more than 30ozs. of pop will I spend the night in a fat cell?
    No you will not be in jail for having a 30 oz pop. You will not be able to buy one in a cup. But if you decided to buy one bottled you can drink to your heart's content.

Do you need a mother? I don't know. Are you one of the 68% of Americans that are overweight? Oh, and who might you be hurting by not wearing your seat belt? Your family?

No you will not be in jail for having a 30 oz pop. You will not be able to buy one in a cup. But if you decided to buy one bottled you can drink to your heart's content.

Do you need a mother? I don't know. Are you one of the 68% of Americans that are overweight? Oh, and who might you be hurting by not wearing your seat belt? Your family?
    Dear God Printer. The concept of FREEDOM is not based upon what is "good for the community", it has a little more to do with 'individual rights' and 'individual freedom of choice'. We are not an ant colony!

Maybe we should start arresting people if they dont exercise three times a week? Or how about no ice cream if your over a certain weight? I know thats not what I want our government involved in. People should be able to make their own decisions when it doesn't effect anyone else but themselves. And yes that includes seatbelts too. The government should not be so involved in personal behavior. But it is convenient for them to give tickets like we're criminals and make money for not wearing a seatbelt like we're some sort of danger to society. I prefer to be able to think for myself.

You guys really don't get it do you?

YES it is terrible that the government restricts our freedoms....YES they should not have to do that....but when it costs as much as it is costing us to keep people alive because of their unhealthy habits then something needs to be done.

You should be thanking the government, while they take away your big sippy cups they are saving you...yes YOU and me billions if not trillions of our tax dollars.

Some of you say let people live and die....that's a great theory until it's you...or your wife...or dad...mom..uncle..aunt..son...daughter...and the insurance company drops them cause they cost too much. Not to mention the vast majority of America is unhealthy...if we all die then who is left to keep the country going?

You scream like a teenager...just let me live free and do whatever I want...but when you have to file bankruptcy because your medical bills cost too much, remember that maybe buying a smaller coke, or carrying a 12 pack in the cooler...or drinking WATER...wasn't such a bad alternative after all.

All of this is relevant to healthcare....insurance companies are notorious for being there when it's time to collect your monthly payment...but when you get in a bind they tend to run...leaving you to file bankruptcy...this is why the government is stepping in there...don't believe me? Look it up

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Maybe we should start arresting people if they dont exercise three times a week? Or how about no ice cream if your over a certain weight? I know thats not what I want our government involved in. People should be able to make their own decisions when it doesn't effect anyone else but themselves. And yes that includes seatbelts too. The government should not be so involved in personal behavior. But it is convenient for them to give tickets like we're criminals and make money for not wearing a seatbelt like we're some sort of danger to society. I prefer to be able to think for myself.
    I agree, but in this case, decisions are being influenced, by marketing methods, and there are many who are unable to make a decision (children).
    Plus being obese does effect others, OK the medical issue and associated costs, are well documented, but lets look at productivity, this falls driving up costs, reduces margins or increases retail prices, driving employment off shore. Plus basic physics determines the greater mass the more energy required to move it. My seem a small amount, but across the population, how much more energy has to imported, effecting the balance of payments.
    Obesity is not just a personal issue, it is a social issue, therefore our Representatives (govt), should act on behalf of the people. In the same way Tobacco has its limitations. With Tax increases and education, smoking is reducing.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    I agree, but in this case, decisions are being influenced, by marketing methods, and there are many who are unable to make a decision (children).
    Plus being obese does effect others, OK the medical issue and associated costs, are well documented, but lets look at productivity, this falls driving up costs, reduces margins or increases retail prices, driving employment off shore. Plus basic physics determines the greater mass the more energy required to move it. My seem a small amount, but across the population, how much more energy has to imported, effecting the balance of payments.
    Obesity is not just a personal issue, it is a social issue, therefore our Representatives (govt), should act on behalf of the people. In the same way Tobacco has its limitations. With Tax increases and education, smoking is reducing.
    I will concede that what the government is doing could be seen as in the best interest of the people en masse. But individual freedom is very imprortannt to many Americans and it sets bad precedents. Its dangerous because where does it end? If you give them an inch who knows what they will tell you what you cant do next? Playing football or skiing is dangerous maybe we should outlaw that too? I dont want anyone telling me, a consenting adult how much I can drink, any more than I want anyone telling me what is allowed or not allowed in the bedroom etc. I dont consider myself an over the top freedom guy but how much I can drink, come on. If you dont draw a line, they could walk all over you and treat us like we're babies or worse. I dont like it at all.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast