Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Are you quoting Hunter Thompson? one of my favorite authors you know.

In a Democracy, you get the government you deserve.

I thought this was a Republic.
    Don't recall who said it. Seems to hold true for whatever political system people adopt.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Yup, we have a constitution that serves to place limits on the power of government thru the system of checks and balances (three opposing-balancing-checking groups) as well as a Bill Of Rights.

The problem now is that all three branches are ignoring our constitution and going their own way with the media acting as if they are a forth branch of government spinning the truth or refusing to cover the truth.
    All that sugar makes a compliant people.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    All that sugar makes a compliant people.
    I do agree with you on this... When folks have it too easy... they tend to let govt get away with too much. Let times get tough... and they start to watch govt again.

Just wish folks would have 'eternal vigilance' watching govt... we would not have near the mess we have today.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I do agree with you on this... When folks have it too easy... they tend to let govt get away with too much. Let times get tough... and they start to watch govt again.

Just wish folks would have 'eternal vigilance' watching govt... we would not have near the mess we have today.
    But there is a flip side. If the people were to take more responsibility for themselves then you would not have government types want to do it for them. As much as it may seem the government wants to run our lives the people making the rules really are just responding to conditions that they see unfolding. If 1/3 of the population did not look physically obese and we did not have the health effects to go with it then drink size would not be an issue.

I wish people would look after themselves. If they did then we would not need government to do it for them.

But there is a flip side. If the people were to take more responsibility for themselves then you would not have government types want to do it for them. As much as it may seem the government wants to run our lives the people making the rules really are just responding to conditions that they see unfolding. If 1/3 of the population did not look physically obese and we did not have the health effects to go with it then drink size would not be an issue.

I wish people would look after themselves. If they did then we would not need government to do it for them.
    Your missing the big point here printer. What is government for anyhow? Most patriots believe it should only protect our rights and freedom. Like a military and justice system to punish criminals and not to control our rights in anyway. You are indeed a liberal for sure. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Your missing the big point here printer. What is government for anyhow? Most patriots believe it should only protect our rights and freedom. Like a military and justice system to punish criminals and not to control our rights in anyway. You are indeed a liberal for sure. Thank you, thank you very much
    Not missing the point. The government is there to look after the good of the country. If people did not bang into each other with their cars there would be no need for seat belts. It took government to get car manufacturers to do the right thing and put them in all cars. The soft drink thing strikes me the same way. The companies offering the larger sizes are putting people at risk knowing quite well that if they offer a bigger bucket for a few extra cents that the public will buy it and finish the whole thing. And at 10 teaspoons of sugar to a 12 oz can of coke, with the big cups being offered being 42 oz. That is 35 teaspoons of sugar. Who in their right mind would offer someone 35 teaspoons of sugar to consume in, say an hour, other than soft drink manufacturers and restaurants trying to make a buck?

The US federal government's purpose is not to look after the good of the people.
    It's purpose is to do a few essential tasks that have been delegated to it by the people.

All other powers were reserved by the states or by the people.

I don't have a problem with Bloomberg doing what he did. He's a mayor, it's a local law, if the locals don't like it they can throw him out.

On a personal level, I don't drink sugar drinks. I've long understood the role of sugar and other high glycemic index foods in obesity, diabetes and other imbalanced nutrition related health issues.

I don't believe in a nanny state. As a general principle, I think what he did intrudes on personal choice and as a knee jerk reaction think it's unreasonable and entirely uncalled for.

Upon further reflection, I think his policy is entirely reasonable. He's not banning the sale of a product, only limiting container size.

We'll see if it has a positive effect in a few months... or until they throw him out.
    That's what state and local government are for. We'll see how the law fits and if it has the desired consequences. I suspect it may not work, we humans are clever about finding our way around restrictions
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Only one question, for those on the right.

Are you all for total legalization of use and supply of all drugs?

yes or no and why?

It may look to be off subject, but is this not, the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Are you quoting Hunter Thompson? one of my favorite authors you know.

In a Democracy, you get the government you deserve.

I thought this was a Republic.

I'll bet you like Thompson's gun collection Que' No?!
    We are actually a Democratic/Republic. We elect by popular choice and the winners rule by proxy.
    I'm not sure if Thompson was critical of popular elections or what follows in DC.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

It's interesting being next to Canada that USA citizens are so different. Many USA Americans think Canada is a more rational and civilized country and the USA is the wild west. Nether civilized or rational.
    The idea of, lets work together, seems to have different responses in the two countries. The US has changed since WW2. More fear based and less cooperative.
    People here often take the path of least resistance. It's easier to be fat that work to change.
    It's easier to destroy other nations than find a solution.
    The world's not suposed to work, is it?
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

The problem that many of you are failing to see is that people refuse to take care of themselves in a responsible manner....and when they get sick they get treatment then skip the payment or go bankrupt trying to pay the bill.

So take your pick...spending billions if not trillions of government dollars keeping people alive and healthy....or having to buy two cokes instead of one big one.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Two points:

1) If someone wants to eat/drink themselves into obesity... it is their right to do so... and THEY take responsibility for it. They get to pay higher insurance rates (IF someone will insure them, which IMO is totally fair). Nothing like responsibility to make someone take care of themselves.

2) Glenn and a few others hit the nail square: The responsibility of govt is to guarantee our rights and freedoms... NOT to control out lives. The latte is our responsibility... and anyone who does not do take that responsibility wisely... well they NEED to SUFFER the consequences of their bad decisions... it is called learning by experience... which is IMO the way life works.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Only one question, for those on the right.

Are you all for total legalization of use and supply of all drugs?

yes or no and why?

It may look to be off subject, but is this not, the same issue.
    I would favor totally dis-mantling the 'war on drugs'... as I think it is govt hypocrisy at its finest.

Study prohibition in our US history... the example is clear to me.

And BTW: Prescription drugs are a govt sanctioned monopoly also... they should be 'over the counter' also.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast