Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo trouble

Post Likes

turbo trouble

Turbo aire. TST72sd
    long story short evaporator had a leak replaced evaporator capillary tube clogged week later. Changed with supco #3 52" cap tube.. Charged with 19oz. 134a. Unit. Still in at 10hg suction and 110 liquid Box temp 70. Changed spun copper filter blew system out with co2 appeared no clogs...... any advice on next step would be greatly appreciated...

Post Likes
    Is that OEM size or did u convert it?
    Maybe try OEM tube or get exact OEM size

Post Likes
    Oh...in case I forgot...turbo aire is absolute crap. Lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Oh...in case I forgot...turbo aire is absolute crap. Lol
    There all crap!

Is the cap tube bonded to the suction line?

Replace the suction line / cap tube assembly.
    Refrigeration Hardware Supply or Case Parts can supply it.

Post Likes
    this is what you are URI suggested (conversion)....Case has a backorder? Guess ill wait
    Tube not bonded coiled up 2 part.......

Post Likes
    Your best bet is replacing a compressor and cap tube, if you go only with cap tube you be back to that call in future. Go with Oem size, I know some of turbo air have metric size cap tubes.

Post Likes
    What is turbo air and its use?

Post Likes
    I'm going to school at this time to get my certificate in HVAC.

Post Likes
    I do not trust R134a, especially used with cap tubes. In fact one of my schools' food service director asked me for a recommendation of a new pass thru cooler, I advised her NOT R134a.

The issue as taught by Sporlan, is that the POE oil used with R134a breaks down into a waxy substance to clog the cap tube. Replace a clogged cap tube, and/or some torch heat melts the wax, and soon back in a clogged cap tube. Sporlan sells a series of filter driers with a designation of "...-HH". The smallest is bigger than is needed on a cooler such as Turboair, so you willl need to adjust refrigerant level.

Oh, and warn your customer about the wax/cap tube clog AND that it will cause the compressor to run hot which aggravates the wax, and DOES shorten compressor life. (If you replace the cap tube then soon you may face a dead compressor and unhappy customer if you do not warn them.) I have lost count of how many school type milk cooler cap tube and compressor changes I have done. I ALWAYS put in the Sporlan -HH.

Caliboy, Turbo Air is a reach in low budget cooler or freezer, used in commercial kitchens.

Post Likes
    If you had a leaking evap there is probably water in the oil and it's freezing at the cap tube outlet. That's why it seems fine when you purge with CO2 and is restricted when running. Change the compressor oil and install an oversized real filter dryer (not spun copper)

Post Likes
    Yup don't use those crappy copper driers...use a quality sporlan HH Capt drier as stated

Post Likes
    Yup, HH drier. Making sure the cap tube is not plugged. On those little units, I always charge through the high side and be sure the suction comes up. More so on the quick down and dirty repairs.

Likely the compressor is still functional if it's pulling down to 10"hg.

Haven't heard about the waxy thing with POE and 134a, interesting. But have never had a problem, and I see a fair amount of True and Turbo Air boxes running 134a.

Post Likes
    If the manufacturers would have put TXV's on these crap 134 systems we probably would not be dealing with this curse. Oh well job security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast