Thread: Orfice/Piston change to do or not to do?

Post Likes

Question

Five years ago I had to replace my outside Carrier unit with a Janitrol. The old Carrier size was 2.5 ton, and the replacement was a Janitrol 3 ton. The inside coil is a Carrier 3 ton (Why would an installer mix inside and outside unit sizes?) The piston was never changed or checked to match the configuration. The house cools but not usually below 76-77-78 and upper 40% in humidity. Would matching the piston to the current configuration make a difference in the cooling capability of the system? Unit is installed in an attic 2 story home. Would it be worth the expense to correct this? Would it make a consideralbe difference in the cooling capability?

[Edited by DIY_Greg on 07-13-2006 at 07:15 PM]

Post Likes
    more then likely yes it should be part of the install but most goodman installers are hacks so thats what you get and thats why there product name is not very good

Post Likes
    also janitrol and goodman are the same thing

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thomefan2579
    more then likely yes it should be part of the install but most goodman installers are hacks so thats what you get and thats why there product name is not very good
    This is pretty funny, as I have a few GOODMAN'S I have installed that have run longer trouble-free than some name brands installed by "professionals",and I'm not an INSTALLER! Your comments are worthless.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    the piston should always match on tonnage
    Knowledge comes with experience

Post Likes
    Originally posted by DIY_Greg
    Five years ago I had to replace my outside Carrier unit with a Janitrol. The old Carrier size was 2.5 ton, and the replacement was a Janitrol 3 ton. The inside coil is a Carrier 3 ton, (maybe the initial install was done to increase SEER or just cookie cutter community installs.?). The piston was never changed or checked to match the configuration. The house cools but not usually below 76-77-78 and upper 40% in humidity. Would matching the piston to the current configuration make a difference in the cooling capability of the system? Unit is installed in an attic 2 story home.

Simply put, yes. The indoor piston size must match the size as stated on the outdoor units rating label. Carrier 3 ton if I can remember right should be around a #65 piston but don't quote me on that. They do need to match though.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thomefan2579

I have put in Alot of Goodman,Trane,American Standard and im NOT by any means a Hack and ive seen just as many hacked A/S, Trane and carrier units hacked by lousy installers

Post Likes

Question

Thanks for the input. To do this, I know it will require the system to be purged, piston changed in the attice on inside coil, vacuum pulled for leak test, and recharged. Will this affect the dryer, or lead to possible contamination? I am not a Technician, nor would I attempt to do this. I like to be as educated as possible to ensure I am receiveing the best service. Would doing this help with the cooling of the house? Is it worht the time and money?

Post Likes
    What size piston? When you mismatch, how do you do it? Everybody seems to call for a different size. So if Goodman wants a 73 and you hack a Goodman on a Carrier coil, do you put in the 73 that the Goodman might want vs a 70 that Carrier does?

We were on a 12 SEER Goodman on a Trane air handler. It had a 77 piston for a 3 ton which is what Trane calls for. Low head and high suction. Obviously that was wrong. We put in a smaller piston and got the suction down a bit.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by DIY_Greg
    Will this affect the dryer, or lead to possible contamination?
    I will rather replace the dryer if I have changed a major part of an AC.

Post Likes
    guys chill you must remember i am talking baout my area NE Ohio and in my 8 years in the field 90 percent of hack jobs are goodman and janitrol since they will sell to almost anyone. Also most top of the line contractors wont touch them or will use them only if the customer has a very tight budget smokin also how can you say goodman and trane are equal as it seems you are. the quality of workman ship and noise levels are not even close no matter how well you install them im just stating the facts I know you love your little janijunk and goodcrap systems but dont have to be defensive I would never buy a kia or put the kia hvac system in a customers home

Post Likes
    Thomefan,

First off I don't bash any brand,even though I can name some highly over-rated equipment. Second, compare apples to apples. A 13 seer Trane is pretty darn similar to a 13 seer Goodman. You state noise levels. The last Goodman I installed we had to check the lineset because you couldn't hear it running.

A well-running Kia beats a broken down Caddie anyday.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    we will agree to disagree this site is not for us guys to fight its to help people from screwing up and to guide them

Post Likes
    Why not put an expansion valve in?

Open her up, add TVX, dryer, and hard start.

Post Likes

Question

What is the purpose of a hard start kit? Replacing the dryer or adding an additional in line dryer, which would be best? Is there any advantage using a TXV versus a matched piston? Opening the system like this, would there be a need for an additional charge of oil? The climb from outside unit to attic roughly 25 feet or so, then additonal 15 or so feet of horizontal run to the coil.

Post Likes
    What's the temp in the attic? when your maintaining 78.
    What's the duct ? how good is it insulated

Post Likes

Question

Attic temp 105+ when inside maintaining 78. Eight inched of blown fiberglass. Flex duct on all runs. All vents upstairs and down are furthest away from windows, opposite side of room. Relatively easy fix on second floor to reposition, but first floor on slab. Last year, tech came out unable to reach superheat, added freon, and had to remove to balance system. Also last year, load calculation performed and suggested 2.5 ton unit, saying 3 ton system to large for duct work in place now. Was thinking of overlaying ducts with insulation to improve R-value. Attic vented via ridge vent and soffit vent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in