Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by James 3528
    Don't let your kids work at restaurants. Meth and Crack heads love to wreck other lives and restaurant help are notorious drug users that mess with young hire ins.
    Now there's a sweeping generalization. I've had hundreds of employees over the years, and not a one has been a meth or crack user.

Originally posted by yocona
    Don't let your kids work at restaurants. Meth and Crack heads love to wreck other lives and restaurant help are notorious drug users that mess with young hire ins.
    Now there's a sweeping generalization. I've had hundreds of employees over the years, and not a one has been a meth or crack user.
    Good for you. I have worked at hundreds of restaurants. Other than that, I have a bail bondsman that sits to my left every morning, couple of lawyers and a juvenile judge and then there is the friend that has a strung out daughter thanks to that environment that often employees the down and out. Maybe you had a 401K, retirement package and drug testing at your place. Bet I can find a witness here

OUT HERE ON THE WEST COST CRANK OR METH HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS.IT'S THE BIGGEST DISTROYER THERE IS.I HAVE LOST ALOT OF FRIENDS BECAUSE OF IT.BE IT JAIL OR DEATH IT WILL WIN.THAT CRAP HAS DISTROYED MY MOTHER AND FATHER IN LAW. I WOULD LOVE TO MOVE TO A PLACE WHERE IT IS'NT.DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PLACE?I AM SERIOUS.I WOULD MAKE PLANS AND MOVE THERE.IF YOU ARE STARTING TO SEE IT POP UP IN YOUR TOWN STOP IT ANY WAY YOU CAN.

Good for you. I have worked at hundreds of restaurants. Other than that, I have a bail bondsman that sits to my left every morning, couple of lawyers and a juvenile judge and then there is the friend that has a strung out daughter thanks to that environment that often employees the down and out. Maybe you had a 401K, retirement package and drug testing at your place. Bet I can find a witness here
    Yes, but you are still making a big generalization--it's inductive reasoning based on a limited set of facts. For starters, look who your witnesses are: bondsmen, attorneys and judges. They are professionals who spend their 9 to 5 in the legal world. Of course they have plenty of experience with drug-addicted delinquents with restaurant experience.

What you aren't considering is the fact that the restaurant industry is the largest private-sector employer in this country. With more than 12 million employees, we employ nearly 5% of the total U.S. population AT ANY GIVEN TIME. (The estimate is that 2 out of every 5 American adults worked in the food service industry at some point in their life.) I have yet to see any data that shows addiction to be more prevalent in my profession than in others percentage-wise. It seems to me that it is sheer volume of employees that makes the restaurant industry seem to have more than its share of corrupting influences and delinquents.

Something else that you have to consider is the fact that over 25% of those 12 million workers are between the ages of 16-19. That's over 3 million teenagers. If you had 3+ millioin teens working part-time in the HVAC industry, your friends in the legal profession would be seeing them in those same unfortunate circumstances.

The fact that restaurants employ the down and out, and are therefore necessarily unsavory work places, is merely a perception. Though you may not see it from your experiences, my reputable work place and I are not in the minority within this profession. Just like the HVAC industry, a majority of us run operations in which a crack head could not survive because they couldn't pull their weight.

http://www.restaurant.org/aboutus/faqs.cfm
    http://www.bls.gov/iag/leisurehosp.htm

BTW, I don't do drug testing. My policy is I never ask my employees to do something that I'm not willing to do. And we don't have a retirement plan, but I do provide 100% health insurance premiums for all full-time staff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12