Quick question about flow direction.

Hey guys,

First off, sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect place.

Secondly I'm new to the industry, about 2 months in actually, and I just recently worked on my first water-source heat pump.

Upon digging into the unit I found that the inlet and outlet lines on the unit were reversed. Supply line from the loop was being feed into the outlet of the unit, and return loop was hooked up to the inlet on the unit. I'm curious as to what symptoms would show due to this incorrect installation, if anything serious?

If I recall correctly the unit is a McQuay single stage horizontal, 3/4 ton.

I've got some more detailed information about the units/building if needed.

Might have a little high head pressure in cooling. The water and refrigerant is more then likely supposed to run in opposite directions so the hottest refrigerant hits the hottest water and the water gets cooler as the refrigerant goes through and cools down.

The new coaxial coils are toughted to be extensively engineered for optimal exchange and performance. If the flow direction is reversed, it could not be described as "optimal". How far it is off from optimal could be argued ad nauseam. Correct diagnosis would be to schedule service to fix piping issue from original install and move on.
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

Honestly I don't see a difference in loop direction with new style u bends. Only a thinner profile. A u-bend is still just a u-bend when placed 200+ft down in the ground. Under optimal lab conditions "maybe" but even then it's gotta be minimal advantages

If the McQuay has a coax HX then the flow would not be counter but concurrent (same direction) and the heat exchange would be less.

I made a mistake. I was think of the geothermal loop coils.