trane rtaa temp sensor installation

are the refrig temp sensors position sensitive, seems to me I thought I remember that they have one or two orifices in the sensor body on 180 degree sides that allow a controled flow patteren and or flow rate to make good contact on the sensor, not sure if I am remembering this right or just dreaming it. I have a chiller that customer has changed to the upgraded EXV, new upgraded control boards, new sensors and still has allot of hunting on the one circuit.

I think I have found my own answer to this. No they are not position sensitive.

They are position sensitive in the pipe, as in depth. You ideally want the tip of the sensor to be in the center of the pipe diameter.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Thank you, changed out the sensors and problem cleared up, never changed anything else so sensors must have been defective, we did insure connections and wiring to txv was good. Another question I have is I know you can not splice the new sensors in, and is it true you can not cut the length of the new sensors, the ones that were installed had the excess wire cut to length to reach the panel connection points, the new ones were left at the length and wire tide up.

Never splice as it's very hacky, but does work, I've seen a sensor last 10+yrs with a splice.

I cut them to length all the time with no issues. I have never heard you can't cut them. I can't imagine that wire cut a few feet throws the resistance off enough to make a difference.

Either way you did good.

The biggest mistake you can make with those sensors is over tightening that ferrule nut.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Thank u

I'm sure you have found out that Trane sells the sensors as a pair, for the saturated evaporator temp and the compressor suction temp. When I installed the new sensors in the past I have always tied up the excess wire instead of cutting it to length. I agree that the most important thing when it comes to positioning them is the center of the pipe.