+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trane RTU

Post Likes

Trane RTU

Trane
    M/N TSC036A3REAO1E1000000A3B4A

I was leak checking this unit today, and saw a LL drier on the compressor discharge. Was thinking someone screwed up because it's 3/8 and just assumed it was the LL. Also, what can happen with a LL drier on the gas discharge? Will it damage the drier or system in any way? Will the drier do it's job effectively?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tek1 View Post
    Trane

I was leak checking this unit today, and saw a LL drier on the compressor discharge. Was thinking someone screwed up because it's 3/8 and just assumed it was the LL. Also, what can happen with a LL drier on the gas discharge? Will it damage the drier or system in any way? Will the drier do it's job effectively?
    Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure it is not a muffler? Drier in hot gas line will fall apart eventually
    then crap in system I do not believe drier will do it`s job at all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tek1 View Post
    Trane

Thanks in advance.
    It will eventually take out that compressor.

Post Likes
    Seen this a few times. It's a screw up. Someone changes the compressor, and see's the small line, hey, we'll put it in here!
    As earlier said, designed for filtering liquid, so can't do the job with hot gas. Easy to spot when clogged, frost on the downstream side of the dryer.
    LN

Post Likes
    xpuser, I am sure it's a drier. I read it right on the side of it.

Post Likes
    Well hopefully it didn't damage the compressor...I guess I'll find out when I eventually start the unit up.

Post Likes
    I would remove it and re-pipe the line, then I would check the liquid line to see if there is a drier installed. It would be a good idea to replace the liquid line drier.

Post Likes
    They usually have that red Shiite from the factory on either end of them.
    LN

Post Likes
    I was able to get back over there today. I fixed the leak, repiped where the drier was in the discharge line, and added a LL drier to the proper place. I left it with a nitrogen charge overnight. I should be able to get it going tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Blow out the evap coil. That dryer could have broken up and sent Desiccants down the line.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in