Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lennox Pulse - To replace or not to replace?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thomefan2579
    i can fix anything and everything out there buddy Lennox is a pain in the ass to get parts for. I prefer Tarne
    He maybe be able to fix any Trane (tarne) but he sure don't know the spelling of it.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    putting all the bickering and asumsion aside
    there was never a recall on the pulse furnace. it was an inspection program set up by lennox at thier own doing.
    they relized a 1 percent failor rate in the pulse heat exchangers cause by out side pulitaints adhearing to a certain welding compond used on only a certain few heat exchanger. after all was said and done it still turned out to be a 2 percent rate. they also stopped using that welding compond and the hx with the other compond used are still intacked.
    i found in most of the tests i preformed the pulse furnace was not set up properly or maintained propely and these two reasons were the biggest for most of the failed heat exchangers i replaced. high gas presure was the biggest problem. guys not knowing the unit setting it at 3.5 instead of leaving it at 2.0
    the first that came out were higher before it is said at 4.0
    best furnace ever made at 97 percent. also if you are used to or know how to work on them they are the easyest to repair and have a simplicty design imo
    keep the furnace, have it service buy a trained lennox tech and relax.

Post Likes
    I have worked for Lennox dealers and LIKE the pulse furnace, have no problem with servicing them and found if properly installed they were very reliable and efficient. My next comment is that everything does have a life span and I would say that a modern furnace that has been in use for almost 20 years has served you well. If the rest of the system were in good condition I would just have it serviced, pressure tested and keep the furnace. If the ac system has gone south then I would have a lennox dealer pressure test the furnace, you may get lucky and it will fail, but even if it passes the test I would replace the entire system.

Post Likes

Lennox pulse

have a customer with a Pulse who has had a a coil leak into the main compartment. Rust has built up inside the ellectrical and burner area. I have suggested it should be replaced but she insisted that it still works fine. I am not too familiar with the pulse but seeing it in this shape what can I suggest futher? I will be replacing the coil in a few days. I tried to suggest anothe furnace with no evail.

Post Likes
    Richard
    Ask your customer to provide you with date of the last pressure test. It MUST be tested every 4 years, this is very important for safe operation. The kit provides a sticker to record the date of the test on the furnace. If this sticker isn't on the furnace I would bet the furnace hasn't been tested. The pulse furnace is still a good unit if it is properly serviced.

Post Likes
    I was dealing with Pulse's when this program (recall) came about. I don't remember if there was a time limit on the program or not, but it consisted of performig the pressure test, and then based on the results, there were several options that were made available to you, including replacement of the Pulse furnace. Why don't you contact the original installing contractor if the furnace was already in place, and find out if it has been checked? If in doubt, call the code enforcement department and find out who did the original install. A 19 year old of any sort should be considered for replacement. The Pulse was one of the best in their day, but there are much better available today. all the best, John.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    FWIW In my opinion the Pulse is the most reliable furnace I've seen. Most of the people that I know who knock them are the non dealers or otherwise don't understand how to service them. Get the test, if it fails, you get the warranty credit, if it passes at least you know and can make an informed decision.

Post Likes
    The time limit on the free testing has expired, but the warranty is still good. The furnace had a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger for the original residential owner and 20 years otherwise.

Post Likes
    wirenut, thanks for clarification. Lifetime warranty on primary and secondary heat exchangers, but I did not know the status of the program, i.e. expired, etc. If the program is no longer in effect, then I would suggest a professional contractor perform service of the system and determine the integrity of the system.

I agree that the PULSE design was one of the best that has ever come along. It is a shame that the problems that occurred, that were somewhat localized and not national resulted in the demise of this unique and extremely reliable and efficient design.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    We still test lots of them but the service is not covered under the program just bill it at regular rates, usually takes me about an hour to complete the test and flapper valve replacement. The warranty is a bit more complicated now because of abuse of the system. At first you just mailed Lennox the Id plate with mn and sn and they sent you a replacement furnace. NOW you must return the complete furnace and then they ship you a replacement unit after they confirm that the exchanger is defective. You...the customer must pay shipping on both units. I wonder if they really test the return units.

Post Likes
    We used to be a Lennox dealer seen them pass seen they fail with the sorry ass test Lennox has.I say peace of mind is the answer.Be safe not sorry.

Post Likes
    OK here is the deal I pump it up to 4PSI and it must hold for 10 min. if their is any pressure left half a pound or what ever it passes.Kind of having to fill your tire every week and your machanic saying to youYes sir you dont have a leak this is normal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in