Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That is the question. I need a new central a/c unit and have a 19 year old Lennox pulse furnace that completes my system. As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with the furnace other than age. I have been told that these furnaces had some heat exchanger issues and there was a major recall. I understand there is a pressure test that can be done to determine if the unit qualifies under the recall program.

I am trying to decide whether it is worth replacing the furnace at the same time as the a/c given its age and tendency for failure. I hate to spend money now on something that could last 2, 3 or 10 more years and with its 96% efficiency rating, I probably do not stand to gain a lot in replacing it. However, I also do not want to be left in a no heat or dangerous situation.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions??

Thanks

Why don't you call a HVAC contractor in your area to check your system and suggest a solution accordingly. Call a reliable one.

You can also give your general location, so that one of us here can help you out.

I would spend money to have it checked, and have some reserve, in case things go wrong.

You can rent portable air conditioners with heaters when your system fails, and while waiting for new system to be installed.

All the best!

I say get rid of that noisy old thing and get yourself a new HE system. You will be glad you did.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I've had a few people in and seem to get differing opinions. Some say since there is no sign of degradation in the system and it doesn't set the CO detectors off that it is unlikely to have the heat exchanger problem. Others have said it should be pressure tested.

I am in the Toronto, Ontario are BTW. I guess par tof the dilemma is that if I get it tested and it passes, is there any compelling reason to replace it? I do think I will get it tested, but assuming it doesn't fail what next?

Thanks

Your Pulse furnace needs a heat exchanger pressure test every four years, and regular service to include air diaphragm replacement.

Please don't rely on your CO detector to determine the integrity of your heating system.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Your Pulse furnace needs a heat exchanger pressure test every four years, and regular service to include air diaphragm replacement.

Please don't rely on your CO detector to determine the integrity of your heating system.
    -----------------------------------------

I have no reason to doubt that...every reason to believe it

and I dont think you should replace if it's not necessary.

i didnt know canadians needed air condioning

If it's a leaker lennox will provide you with a new G51 gas furnace for no charge. You will have to pay a Lennox dealer to install it though.

Your warranty is lifetime if you are the original owner, 20 years if you are a not the original owner.

Jacob,
    We do need AC if the igloo is melting

Have it presure tested by a Lennox dealer ASAP. 90% of the failures we find do not set off the CO detectors. The failures are on the secoundary heat exchangers, which are kinda in a dead spot in the cabinet. If it fails you get credit for a single stage 92% furnace. So you do have the option of upgrading too.

Again lifetime-original owner, 20 year any owner after.

When you call, always ask if that company works on Lennox Pulses. If they dont know or dont know what your talking about, then they probably dont have the proper kit to pressure test it.

Don't waste any money on a pressure test. If it's 19 years old, it's essentially at the end of it's usuable life (Pulse guys, back off. If it was a 19 year old Goodman you'd all be yelling for him to replace it). The Pulse furnace is noisy, difficult to service, and a death machine. PERIOD.

Why pour money into pressure tests, diaphragms, etc when you can get a nice, complete, MATCHED system with a full warranty? I wouldn't waste money on any 19 year old, Pulse or not.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

I agree with doug the pulse furnace was a horrible invention and a death trap replace it with a 2 stage variable 95 percent efficent trane or carrier and youll be very happy and comfortable

If you dont pressure test it, then you dont get the warranty. If it 19 years old, then its definitly under warranty. Why not get some credit on a new furnace?

Lennox does require them back. So no cheating warranty.

but most lennox even new is junk and ordering parts is a pain in the ass if your not a dealer and if you need info at least a 15min wait on there 800 number pain in the ass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast