Scotsman Thermistor Question

Have a scotsman machine (cme656) that has run great up until recently. Both diagnostic lights are on all the time and - according to the restaurant staff - the machine isnt producing properly.
    Pulled thermistor plug off board....discharge thermistor in range, water tank thermistor not, reading water temp of 60 degrees when it is in fact 30-32 degrees. Obviously need a new thermistor which was ordered today.
    My question is, could failure of the thermistor be causing SUPPOSEDLY lowered ice making capacity?

Very easy to check production time it and weigh it. 1440 (minutes in a day) / total cycle time (should be around 16 min) = cycles per day x weight of one harvest (should be 6.5-7lbs)

That number should be between 705 and 585

If It's not then maybe something's slowing it down.
    I has been my experience that the machine will work with the thermistor bad

Sent from my amazing 4G device

If the thermistor has failed and both lights are on, it will still produce. Pull the thermistor and put it in a cup of ice water. Then ohm it out while it's in the ice water. This is the actual value from the Scotsman service manual.

32º = 32649 Ohms

If they have to be replaced, i believe the Scotsman part# is 02-3410-21 But don't quote me on that.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Yea, in 32 degree water I'm only registering 15000 ohms. Gotta be replaced.
    Again, they called only because they saw the 2 red lights. Then as im there they just kind of mention that it hasnt been producing as much...took it with a grain of salt and ordered the sensor. Just curious if the thermistors have any kind of affect on production since it was kind of a coincidence...

Ok. New thermistor cleared my fault codes. For what its worth, in case anybody didn't know this....a clogged condenser coil will cause reduced ice making capacity
    Next time ill get my flashlight out of the truck....sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by sandpipertech View Post
    Ok. New thermistor cleared my fault codes. For what its worth, in case anybody didn't know this....a clogged condenser coil will cause reduced ice making capacity

Yes it sure will.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by sandpipertech View Post
    I'm writing that one down!

I keep a mini maglite on my belt because i got tired of leaving mine in the truck.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Hey, no reason to be upset so long as YOU caught the dirty condenser and cleaned it (of course it would've been better on first trip!) The bad thing is when you've looked at it 3 times, can't figure it out, called tech support, then your service manager comes out and its a dirty condenser...

Quote Originally Posted by trippintl0 View Post
    Hey, no reason to be upset so long as YOU caught the dirty condenser and cleaned it (of course it would've been better on first trip!) The bad thing is when you've looked at it 3 times, can't figure it out, called tech support, then your service manager comes out and its a dirty condenser...
    Haha, very true. Fortunately it rarely comes to that. I guess we all just get a little too comfortable every once in a while. Good wake up call though. Check the basics.

The Scotsman CME machines have a default freeze mode that bypasses the very finicky thermistor. You turn the machine off, wait 1 minute, then remove the thermistor from the plug on the controller. Hit off again, wait 5 minutes and restart the machine. Both error lights will be on but the machine defaults to condenser fan always on until the pause at the end of the cycle. It will still show other error codes. This seems to work well unless you have a cold room in which case you have to change the thermistor.