Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

I've been given a new opportunity in the hvac field

To start off I have read a lot since joining this forum a few months ago, I have learned an enormous amount from the seasoned techs and the folks that are just getting started. A while back I posted that I was getting back in the hvac field and have been given the opportunity to go to work for a company on the coast of North Carolina. I grew up visiting this area for vacations as a child and have returned to purchase a house and now I will be working in the area. Now that I have given y'all some background here is my issue. I have never really worked for anyone other than family in the hvac field, and for the past few years I have carried my tools and equipment in my truck, now that I will be working for someone else, I would like to know how y'all handle the tools situation. I am planning to have 2 sets of tools, 1 in my personal truck and 1 for the service truck I will be assigned. That way I'm not swapping tools everyday. I have a good selection of hand tools for service and installation, and my clamp amp probe and multi meter. The new company provides gauges,torch, vac pump, reclaim, and some other items, that I am not 100% on exactly what but will find out when I start in a couple weeks. This is a new hvac division for this company so I am going to be getting in on the ground floor and getting this up and running. Are there some new products or tools that I need to consider? I know that leaves a lot open for discussion, I am fairly old school when it comes to tools and equipment. We will be doing on residential service, maintenance,and change outs. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give y'all enough information so you can give me the best advice. Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

Post Likes
    I carry everything in my truck and also drive it to and from work. I'm not sure what to tell you. It says in you bio you work on up to 25 ton. I can only guess that you have the tool to work on everything in between? Pulley pullers Hub pullers micron gauge nitrogen regulators xcetera slack tube. Enter commas where necessary

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not sure how the up to 25 ton part is in my bio, but I'll see if that can be changed or it was a typo on my part. Sorry for the miss information. I will only be doing residential repairs, maintenance, and change outs.

Post Likes
    Pulley pullers or pulley, pullers? :-)

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

5. Likes TACKERDOWN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Get the boss to get you a quality set of digital gauges...

IMO once you try them... you will never be without them!
    Ga-HVAC-tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

7. Likes TACKERDOWN, Txvman liked this post
    Post Likes
    I dont see why you need 2 sets of tools. Will you not be taking the van home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Along with the digital gauges I would get a vacuum set up with least 2- 3/8" vacuum rated hoses if not 1/2" and the Appion vacuum rayed valve core remover. If you go digi gauges don't worry whether or not it has a vacuum gauge built in don't vacuum through your gauges.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No I will not be taking a truck home, not just yet, when the after hour calls deem it necessary I will. I will see what kind of gauges they provide when I start to work. Also the vacuum pump setup is just about a must this day and time. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

Post Likes
    Are you going to be starting the HVAC division for them?

You'll need way more stuff if that's the case.
    Sheetmetal brake, shear, pipe threader, rotary hammer, small gantry crane, ladders, small welder, all sorts of stuff.

These types of questions are always tough to answer cause the list of tools is about as tall as I am. So the more specific you could get as to what type of tools your short on would help us point you alot better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I don't get the truck to take home, My Tools go with me on there dime.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I don't get the truck to take home, My Tools go with me on there dime.
    So you load and unload all your tools everyday?

That would take me 2 hrs in the morning and in the afternoon plus 2 hrs travel to site in the morning and in the afternoon take lunch in the middle somewhere and I would be left with 0 time for any work.

Post Likes
    The idea is that if you don't take the truck home, then the company furnishes EVERYTHING except your one (hand tool) bag.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    So you load and unload all your tools everyday?

That would take me 2 hrs in the morning and in the afternoon plus 2 hrs travel to site in the morning and in the afternoon take lunch in the middle somewhere and I would be left with 0 time for any work.

I don't understand happiness as an ambition . . . It's not really worthy. I understand it as a byproduct.

Harrison Ford

Post Likes

I've been given a new opportunity in the hvac field

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    The idea is that if you don't take the truck home, then the company furnishes EVERYTHING except your one (hand tool) bag.
    Thats not how pecmsg made it sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast