Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I thought NATE was geared towards guys with 3-5 years in the field, not guys just out of tech school.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

They will take anyones money that is willing to take the tests

NATE means nothing in my area.
    i've never met anyone here who is NATE certified.

i tried to look into it and all i found were dead links to the places that were supposed to give the test.

i've even had a couple of employers try to find some places unsuccessfully.

from what i've heard, the NATE tests ask unusual questions that only people who have been in the field for a while would know

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    NATE means nothing in my area.
    i've never met anyone here who is NATE certified.

i tried to look into it and all i found were dead links to the places that were supposed to give the test.

i've even had a couple of employers try to find some places unsuccessfully.

from what i've heard, the NATE tests ask unusual questions that only people who have been in the field for a while would know
    What are some of the unusual questions?

Check out Pacific Gas and Electric I believe the serve California.

I don't know how credible the certification is, but they are one of the sponsors of this forum. I have seen their advertisements on the right side of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    I don't know how credible the certification is, but they are one of the sponsors of this forum. I have seen their advertisements on the right side of the screen.
    Our local community college offers two years HVAC program, withing the first year the students take the EPA and NATE test, the passing rate is close to 100%.
    Most homeowners have no idea what NATE is, the whole idea wasn't marketed to them, its all geared to us the techs paying them $300+ to get a certification that nobody cares about.
    I heard rumors that NATE is in big financial trouble and they are about to go belly up.

I have no certification other than EPA, the county journeyman license I have and the 5 year union apprenticeship I completed in 1997.

That used to be good enough.

The union apprentices graduating today have to take some silly exam.

In my area many of the HVAC companies want only techs that are NATE certified. IN MY OPINION, I think NATE is like a big shiny button people wear to show off. At least 50% of the techs that are NATE certified can not diagnose a sore throat, much less an oil furnace or a heat pump. Many of the new HVAC graduates get certified with no or little experiance in the field. The experiance one can get working with both outstanding long time Techs. and those that still blow out drain lines with r22 and diagnose a/c with " Well, the big line is cold." is worth more than all the shiny buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybow View Post
    The experiance one can get working with both outstanding long time Techs. and those that still blow out drain lines with r22 and diagnose a/c with " Well, the big line is cold." is worth more than all the shiny buttons.
    I agree ! If that option presents itself, I would jump on it. I hope I get the opportunity to get some experience with a seasoned technician.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Our local community college offers two years HVAC program, withing the first year the students take the EPA and NATE test, the passing rate is close to 100%.
    Most homeowners have no idea what NATE is, the whole idea wasn't marketed to them, its all geared to us the techs paying them $300+ to get a certification that nobody cares about.
    I heard rumors that NATE is in big financial trouble and they are about to go belly up.
    Where did you here this rumor?

Unless you are aware of every major HVAC manufacturer getting ready to go under,I would not believe rumors.

It has taken over 12 years to focus on the consumer but it is here now with advertisement on Tv and radio and a NATE consumer website. They are here to stay along with HVAC Excellence, and RSES.

If your state/county/local juristiction has a licensing program I would concentrate on that.

The NATE cert is basically worthless here because you still need a state journeyman license to work on your own so there's really no point in getting the NATE thing unless your employer wants it to show off. Honestly, I think it would be much more beneficial to advertise having state licensed techs instead of NATE because the state license is harder to come by.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    As I am going to school at the local community college to learn the HVAC/R trade. I am finding a lot of the classes I need to take to further my knowledge in the field, either full or offered at inconvenient times.

In trying to expedite my education, I am wondering if I should try for some of NATE certifications that I see offered?

IF not NATE, what other type of certification might I try ? I guess the main thing I am looking for, is something that would look good on my resume to a prospective employer.

I know I need to get my EPA card to handle refrigerant. On the upside my school does offer a class to prepare for the EPA test ! The downside, that class is full this quarter
    Well if you want the background to qualify to take the test for your state professional HVAC contrator's liciense then I suggest you figure out how to get your schooling at your local college. That helps a lot in addition to your work experience. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Start with Mainstream Engineering and web search EPA 608 there are a lot to choose from
    That Mainstream Engineering site is great! They have a downloadable study guide for the EPA test. I have been using it to further the things I have learned in class.

I think I might be ready to try the test, the next time my school offers it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast