Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NATE certification

As I am going to school at the local community college to learn the HVAC/R trade. I am finding a lot of the classes I need to take to further my knowledge in the field, either full or offered at inconvenient times.

In trying to expedite my education, I am wondering if I should try for some of NATE certifications that I see offered?

IF not NATE, what other type of certification might I try ? I guess the main thing I am looking for, is something that would look good on my resume to a prospective employer.

I know I need to get my EPA card to handle refrigerant. On the upside my school does offer a class to prepare for the EPA test ! The downside, that class is full this quarter

If you get your EPA and Nate Core and Heat pump service you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    As I am going to school at the local community college to learn the HVAC/R trade. I am finding a lot of the classes I need to take to further my knowledge in the field, either full or offered at inconvenient times.

In trying to expedite my education, I am wondering if I should try for some of NATE certifications that I see offered?

IF not NATE, what other type of certification might I try ? I guess the main thing I am looking for, is something that would look good on my resume to a prospective employer.

I know I need to get my EPA card to handle refrigerant. On the upside my school does offer a class to prepare for the EPA test ! The downside, that class is full this quarter
    You can study for your EPA and NATE on line at your own leisure. HVAC-Excelence also offers certification.ICE "Industry Competency Exam" is an entry level certification to achieve first. There is also RSES certification that you can acquire down the road after you have accomplished the others.

What's NATE? A certification for non-union techs?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    What's NATE? A certification for non-union techs?
    North American Technicians Excellence.
    Union technicians can acquire NATE certification.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You can study for your EPA and NATE on line at your own leisure. HVAC-Excelence also offers certification.ICE "Industry Competency Exam" is an entry level certification to achieve first. There is also RSES certification that you can acquire down the road after you have accomplished the others.
    Hey do you have a source for this free study material? I'd love to look through it

Thank you for the reply !

From what I understand, the EPA card is probably the first certification I should try for. As was previously mentioned, do you know of a good source on the web that might prepare a person for this test ?

Quote Originally Posted by drkglass01 View Post
    Thank you for the reply !

From what I understand, the EPA card is probably the first certification I should try for. As was previously mentioned, do you know of a good source on the web that might prepare a person for this test ?
    Start with Mainstream Engineering and web search EPA 608 there are a lot to choose from

North American Technicians Excellence.
    Union technicians can acquire NATE certification.
    Union techs get STAR certification, NATE is more for the non-union residential techs.

http://www.uastar.info/

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Union techs get STAR certification, NATE is more for the non-union residential techs.

http://www.uastar.info/
    The Union company I'm working at asked the Local for NATE mechanic. NATE is a sugar pill to show the homeowners.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    The Union company I'm working at asked the Local for NATE mechanic. NATE is a sugar pill to show the homeowners.
    Perhaps you should should attempt NATE certification, sounds like job security from your boss if he is asking the union hall for one.

Start with Mainstream Engineering and web search EPA 608 there are a lot to choose from
    This sounds like a good place to start. I will check into these.

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    So, NATE for HVAC is like ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) for the auto mechanic.

I know when I get my car worked on, and I see those ASE certifications, it makes me think the guy working on my car knows something. Even though I have no idea what it takes to earn an ASE certification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast