+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Finally Quit

Post Likes
    20lbs underweight and high blood pressure?

Not good. Take a good long look at that wife of yours. Can she do ok without you? Sorry to put it that way but if you are not seeing a doctor, do so now. Start with a physical and after making that appointment, tell the wife you are taking her to one of those large Buffets. Maybe once a week. You're saving money by not drinking, right?

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for all your support. Yesterday was a real challenge for me. I had a really bad day at work, I came home to a angry wife, my fridge broke, and everyone in the house was just yelling. It was the perfect opportunity to go out and get a couple of drinks. Instead I just went to an AA meeting. I felt so much better when I left. I went home everything was quite, dinner on the table, the fridge was just unplugged, and the wife asked if I wanted to go for a walk after dinner. After our walk I went upstairs and just read one of my insperational books and fell asleep.
    Do as I say, not as I do

Post Likes

Hey T/S.

Check this site out........ I can lend you the book.

http://www.homerecovery.net/

Whats your addy? e-mail me. spottsbros AT kci dot net
    Jack

[Edited by jrbenny on 07-12-2006 at 12:33 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Tech, it sounds like you're on the right track. At the risk of divulging my age, I'll say that I never missed a day of drinking in 13 years, and have been clean and sober now for 26 years.

I was beginning to think I was retarded before I quit. It's absolutely amazing how much more focused you become after you've quit it for a while, not just your level of learning and problem solving abilities, but your emotional focus and outlook on life as well.

It also does wonders for your stamina and physical abilities too. I'm much more powerful physically now than I was at that younger drinking age because I can excercise and continue to become stronger now over several years time.

Post Likes
    All I can do is wish you luck and to tough it out - I don't drink allot heck a 24 lasts from Christmas till Easter - my wife and I share it.

Anyway good luck and strenght to you
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    I was fortunate and never got a bad drinking habit, I just don't like the taste. I do however, have close family with a problem. The first few days are the worst physically due to the detox. Medical help is available for this. After that, it seem to be more mental with some physical effects. I'll keep you in my prayers and add you to my sunday school class prayer list if you don't mind. Keep going to the AA meetings and there is a sister organization for your wife as well to help her help you deal with the problem. You should be able to get that info at your next meeting. It sounds like you've got a lot of support here too. Use it.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    From personal experience, a couple of tips for you during this initial time. First, if you get the urge and you can't stop it, go get a milkshake, 2 if you have to. The milk fills you stomach and the sugar conteracts the craving sense in you brain. Keep a pocket full of hard candy in your pocket, the sugar fix is the same as above. If you need to go to a function where drinking may be involved, take your own car that way you can leave if you have to. Make it a point to talk to someone in the program everyday, even if it's on the phone. Maybe have your wife go to an open meeting with you and ask her to read the chapter "To the Wives" in the Big Book. And always let someone else know what's going on inside your head, that way they can help you BEFORE you drink.

Dude, Good luck. It sounds like you got a good start on this and remember it's only for 24 hours at a time.

Post Likes
    Tech, the last time I replied on this thread I had been drinking 8-10 beers a night during the week and 12-15 a day on weekends and had been doing so for most of 13 years.I've made up my mind to quit and now I'm 3 days sober.Thank you for the inspiration and keep up the good fight!I feel so much better already and I know I will feel better and better and so will you.In only 3 days I've noticed things are better at work, with my wife and my kids.Thank you and know that you are not alone
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes
    Originally posted by renaissanse man
    Tech, the last time I replied on this thread I had been drinking 8-10 beers a night during the week and 12-15 a day on weekends and had been doing so for most of 13 years.I've made up my mind to quit and now I'm 3 days sober.Thank you for the inspiration and keep up the good fight!I feel so much better already and I know I will feel better and better and so will you.In only 3 days I've noticed things are better at work, with my wife and my kids.Thank you and know that you are not alone
    I know its not easy. Just remember, 24 hours at a time. I have taught myself to rather think, I don't have to drink today. I think, I don't want to drink today... Good luck brother. And it would really be advisable to do as the others say. Get to an AA Meeting, six days sober and I couldn't have done it without it...
    Do as I say, not as I do

Post Likes
    WAY TO GO just remember tommarrow is just another day.
    no different then the day before and the day before that and next week will be no different then this week

Take it minute by miniute , day by day, week by week and evntually year by year

NOW THIS IS A JOKE

go get a cold one as a present to your self

sorry couldnt help it.

AGAIN THAT WAS A JOKE

Post Likes
    first time reading this thread hang in there our prays are with you

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tech_support007
    Originally posted by renaissanse man
    I know its not easy. Just remember, 24 hours at a time. I have taught myself to rather think, I don't have to drink today. I think, I don't want to drink today... Good luck brother. And it would really be advisable to do as the others say. Get to an AA Meeting, six days sober and I couldn't have done it without it...
    You guys are doing awesome. I am really glad I get to see you guys start on the road to recovery. Keep up the good work!!!

Post Likes

Day 6 And Feeling Fine

Well, The last six days have been great. I got a raise. I checked my bank account for the first time in 2 months and found that I have enough money to take the Family to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Of course, my inital thought with all this good news I should go out and celebrate. Yesterday, I did celebrate, I went out and bought a 24oz can of Rockstar, when I got home I went swimming with the kids, played Volley ball after that, ate a huge dinner, took the wife and kids out for ice cream, watched TV, read the big book and knocked out with a smile on my face.
    Do as I say, not as I do

Post Likes

Re: Day 6 And Feeling Fine

Originally posted by tech_support007
    Well, The last six days have been great. I got a raise. I checked my bank account for the first time in 2 months and found that I have enough money to take the Family to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Of course, my inital thought with all this good news I should go out and celebrate. Yesterday, I did celebrate, I went out and bought a 24oz can of Rockstar, when I got home I went swimming with the kids, played Volley ball after that, ate a huge dinner, took the wife and kids out for ice cream, watched TV, read the big book and knocked out with a smile on my face.
    Dang, three more days and I'll have enough $ to go to Hawaii? This sober business is for me! Day four is almost under my belt. Feels great.I actually sleep better sober believe it or not.
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes

Thumbs up Small Steps. Mean Big rewards...

I would tell you some stories about addition to drugs in Germany, but, all I will say to you is this.

Live life, strive to become a better man without drinking and don't feel bad, just try and stay focused toward your goal..

Take small steps to achieve the goal you set for yourself.

Don't worry about what others say about what you did while you were drinking, that's the past; the future is always the new road to a better life you are concerned with.

Good Luck ! May your future be bright..

<<<Aircooled>>>
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Very best of luck. I haven't had a drink in years, best move I ever made in my life. Needed help to quit, but in time sobriety becomes a habit too. Keep going to those meetings, you'll meet some wonderful people. Use their support because it can be a bit of a roller-coaster at first.
    Question authority!

Post Likes
    Tech. Take it a day at a time. Be careful not to suddenly see things through rose colored glasses. Go to AA. GET a SPONSOR! Call him. He will probably call you often. Let your family know you may need to speak to these "strangers". This seems unusual, but remember, these are the folks who can relate. Most people can't. It is a world of difference to pick up the phone and chat THAN posting e-mails and waiting for responses. Serenity:-)
    meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in