I have a 2nd floor section of the house (2br, 1bath) that isnt adequately cooled by the central AC (but heating is just fine). The house is really too big for a single unit (recently replaced AC system with max size new unit and all ducting too). This problem area, based on worksheet calculation, probably needs something small on the order of 10K to 14K BTU.

Id like to put a small or portable AC in that section of the house to augment the central. If using a portable floor AC or wall mounted, Im concerned that cool air blowing from a single source would be well enough distributed to the 3 rooms.

Is there a small AC unit, self contained, 115vac, and attic moutable, that would allow air distribution via ducts I could install in the attic with duct to each? Ive looked online and can only find wall or portable floor AC units that blow air from the unit with no duct output.

I did have the HVAC people quote a second unit, but they would need to install a 2nd furnace in the attic to blow air by coils cooled from a new small 2nd outside unit that was very expensive especially since I dont need the heat. Seems like there would be small self contained units for something like this.

Any tips appreciated.

thanks!

The portable or window unit with a simple fan in the doorway of the room being cooled will be the cheapest way to do it. On a portable, be sure it is a 2 hose unit bringing in outside air plus the exhaust hose.

A vertical PTAC would probably fit the bill. You can add a small amount of ductwork to distribute air to several attached rooms:

http://www.geappliances.com/zoneline...cspecsheet.pdf

thats good input. Im thinkin some cludge with a portable is good enough for now. Good tip on the input and outputs.
    Can you output to the attic? I guess input always want to be fresh air. If it pulls air from the room is that a problem?

Originally posted by johnsp
    A vertical PTAC would probably fit the bill. You can add a small amount of ductwork to distribute air to several attached rooms:

http://www.geappliances.com/zoneline...cspecsheet.pdf
    OK..thanks. Yea. that looks like heat too? I just need some cooling so probably overkill for me.

thanks again

Originally posted by rkruz
    If it pulls air from the room is that a problem?
    Slight problem as it will suck in air from adjacent room.

Insufficient cooling at attic if it pulls in warmer air.

Inefficient cooling at room if it pulls in cooler air.

What is the size of the house? Have you tried ventilating, attic? How abour insulating, shading, tinting and etc for reducing heat gain?

JM input.