Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    new house, and am looking for a touch screen thermostat, preferably with a blue backlight. The best I have found so far is the white rodgers 1f95-1271, but I don't have a lot of exposure to white rodgers, I am very familiar with honeywell, totaline t-stats, looking for some opinions. thanks

What do you need it to control? How many stages of heating and cooling, do you need humidify or dehumidify modes?

It isn't always easy to find, but I like the Climatouch CT03TS32H.

running bryant 352-2stage gas furnace and 1 stage cool, no humidifier

W-R makes a great stat. Be sure to get the 2 stage model, don't recall if the one you listed is or not. I have a Climatouch and like it. Being new, the jury is out on reliability. 1st one I got from our vendor was DOA. The one I have now is newer and so far so good. Sure does a lot!

W-R make great thermostats. Only thing I don't like about the touchscreen thermo is that they only allow 5 minutes per deg. when recovering from a set-back. They need to use 15 minutes like the 90 series used.

Get the honeywell 8000! Don't waste money on the others because they don't have a product support like honeywell. The 8000 will do everything! No matter what stages you have it can all be changed in the parameters of the stat. It also can be used with an outdoor stat to engage the 2nd stage heat, or if you plan on ever adding to heat pump, since the oil prices are on the rise, the heat pump can be used with 2 additional stages of heat with this stat.

[Edited by solidsison on 07-10-2006 at 07:02 PM]
    The only decision in life is to decide what to do with the time given to you

I personly like Honyewell VP. I seen a few WR, don't like the layout/looks of the WR.

I have the 8320 in my own home, and also put them in my parents and aunt's home.

My only beef with the VisionPro is that it only supports overcooling to dehumidify, not the low speed dehumidify modes that most variable speed air handlers can use. Honeywell is cheaper and easier to get ahold of though, so its on my fall back list if my installer has trouble getting a Climatouch.

I set my VP to do two stage cooling on my single stage A/C w/ VS trane XV90, works pretty well. Dries the house down to about 40%

Originally posted by danglerb
    My only beef with the VisionPro is that it only supports overcooling to dehumidify, not the low speed dehumidify modes that most variable speed air handlers can use. Honeywell is cheaper and easier to get ahold of though, so its on my fall back list if my installer has trouble getting a Climatouch.
    The OP did not say anything about humidity control.
    I have installed both and for basic 2 stage heat control they are equal. If you are talking about a programable model, the honeywell is easier to program for the consumer.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Any special advantage to a fancy thermostat over setting the jumper on the furnace for comfort mode?

You are talking apples and oranges....
    Very few furnances has a "comfort mode" jumper (whatever that is). To answer the question fancy thermostates can set the fan delay, they can set the differental between stages and a couple fo other things that may not be important. A fancy thermostat MAY "Help" with a poor design, but is not a cure all. Now if the home is unoccupied most of the day a set back stat may be a good thing if the homeowner uses it (95% are in the manual mode in less than a year).
    I personally hate the El Cheapo bulb stats most use, we alway put (at least) a basic digital stat on our jobs. All that being said it is very advisable for the homeowner to have a "professional" install and setup the "higher end" thermostats the first time. I have had a number of calls this year to correct/replace burnt out parts from homeowners trying to save money and install a Home DeSlow POC. Sometimes it has ended up costing 3 times what it should have costed.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

i really like the climatouch thermostat, no one at my local parts house has heard of the climatouch, but they do have the totaltouch which looks identical in all aspects, but I can't find enough info to tell if the totaltouch will support outside temperature sensor like the uhf wireless for the climatouch, anyone know for sure. thanks for all the replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast