Need some manuals for a York HT

Hi guys, recently came across a york HT that I'd like to understand a bit better and was wondering if anyone has any manuals on this chiller. it's a york HT 320 with MTD 85 compressor. I haven't been able to figure out the oil system and need to get an idea how it works. Thanks for the help

I cannot believe there is still one of them alive! Unfortunately, I chucked those manuals years ago. Unlike the newer machines that have an oil pump all the time, the electric oil pump is on for pre-lube and post lube only. Once the compressor starts and the oil pump shuts off the oil is fed through the jet pump into the low speed pump (attached to the end of the low speed shaft). The low speed oil pump feeds the high speed oil pump (on the high speed shaft) which then feeds the high and low speed bearings. That's the way I remember it.

I don't know if that helps or not. I'll see if I can locate a drawing for it. I know when I first started working on HTs, one of the things I would do is try to trace out the oi circuit so I understood it. I will admit, it is confusing when you first see it.

Found an old manual in the office. Attached is a drawing of the oil circuit.

HT Oil circuit.pdf

Thanks a ton Knewyork. I appreciate the help, this is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know off hand what the oil charge is on a chiller like this? I'm guessing 15gal C oil. Yeah, this is an oldie, looks like it was rebuilt by york about 10 years ago. seems to run great. They upgraded it with an optiview panel...heh, which makes life nice and easy. This is the first one of these I've come across, is this like what came before the YT line?

The oil charge is probably closer to 10 gallons...maybe as little as 7.5. I don't know how they are running the eductor. The original design had a float in the upper sump. When the float dropped, it energized a solenoid which would allow the eductor system to return oil to the upper sump. That usually meant there was a gallon or more of oil in the charge. On YTs the eductor runs whenever the chiller is running and therefore the charge is "stripped"...no oil in it.

The HT (hermetic turbopak) was the last hermetic centrifugal chiller York made for commercial use. At the same time York also made an OT (open turbopak). That gave way to the YT in 1979-80.