New system not much different than 25-yr old system, help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, I observed the whole installation process (literally over their shoulder most of the time). There are times that they tried to hide something from me and also I went away during the brazing because it smells bad. But certainly I know what major steps they skipped. Yes, I understood HVAC system quite well because I have a Bachelor's degree in HVAC&R, but I have moved on to different field since graduate school. I can certainly get a license/permit and buy all the equipment to install my own system. But that does not make sense economically.

Originally posted by thomefan2579
    sounds like nothing is wrong and how do you know that they skipped these steps were you over their shoulder the whole time i sure hope for there sake you were not. operation sounds normala nd to get proper dehumidification long runs cycles are the norm. i would first relx turn the stat to 75 walk away and if she holds 75 on a hot day and turns off at least a little bit relax there is more then likely no issue. If i was the contractor and some home owner who knows nothing says we didnt do things when i know my guys did I would be kinda upset as well. If you know so much why didnt you do it yourself. And save the contractor the hassel also to cut down on run time you coulda put in a 5 ton system it wount run very long but your house may feel like the rain forest

tiger, I'm curious

what's your output airstream temp?

my window-shaker is putting out 58
    (outdoors is about 95)
    room temp is 79

Re: tiger, I'm curious

They didn't do any measurement after the installation, and I do not have the tools to test the output airstream temp. I could try to use a thermometer to measure the air temp of the closest outlet, but that is just a ballpark estimate.

Originally posted by lk
    what's your output airstream temp?

my window-shaker is putting out 58
    (outdoors is about 95)
    room temp is 79

did they weigh in charge or charge by superheat also did they pull a vaccum to 400 microns and let it hold? and i mean electric bill and not gas sorry. as far as a degree it really does not mean too much i know many Textbook techs who are horrible in the real world but they have a piece of paper that says they can pass a test

Hmm

What is the brand and model #?

Is the evap coil and condenser unit an ARI match?

What seer is the unit?

Was any check of the duct work done?

Is the duct work in an attic?

Where do you live?

STUD

During the whole process, no vacuum pump is used at all. They don't follow installer's guide to make sure it's properly charged. Unless they have some trick that we don't know, I don't think they have made any effort the ensure the system is properly charge. And by the way, a major leak was found when the refrigerant lines were connected and he redid the brazing.

Originally posted by thomefan2579
    did they weigh in charge or charge by superheat also did they pull a vaccum to 400 microns and let it hold? and i mean electric bill and not gas sorry. as far as a degree it really does not mean too much i know many Textbook techs who are horrible in the real world but they have a piece of paper that says they can pass a test

TIGER

If you have any ducts outside the conditioned space, some simple temp readings make sense. Take 4.

Return air at the grille in the house
    Return air at the inlet of the air handler

Is it different? Is the inlet temp higher than at the return grille(s)? If so you are picking up a lot of attic heat in the return. Either just from the intense attic heat radiating into the poor insulation of the flex or you have leaks sucking in hot air

Supply air a few feet from the outlet of the coil
    Supply temp at some of the registers

Same point, heat gain in the supply will hurt. The thermometer won't tell of air leaking out.

We checked a house that wasn't cooling well when we swapped a 2 ton for a 2 ton. Air leaving the coil was 60, air coming out of his bedroom vents was 67. Main trunk ran 35' across the attic, had a internal liner but obviously that wasn't keeping out the extreme attic heat.

ok my bad man sorry if they never used a vaccum pump you must have no condensibles in the lines they need to come out recover the charge pull a vaccum and recharge with new r22 if they wont help call the BBB and a company that has NATE certification or is highly reccomended in the area

Hello Eddy wannabe.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

As you suggested, I measured the temperatures today.

The grille in the condo is the same as the inlet of the air handler. There is one and only inlet, so I don't need to compare the difference.

I measured the shortest outlet and the longest outlet in the house, the temperature difference is about 1F, I think that is normal and the problem most likely is not in the ducts but the cooling system.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    If you have any ducts outside the conditioned space, some simple temp readings make sense. Take 4.

Return air at the grille in the house
    Return air at the inlet of the air handler

Is it different? Is the inlet temp higher than at the return grille(s)? If so you are picking up a lot of attic heat in the return. Either just from the intense attic heat radiating into the poor insulation of the flex or you have leaks sucking in hot air

Supply air a few feet from the outlet of the coil
    Supply temp at some of the registers

Same point, heat gain in the supply will hurt. The thermometer won't tell of air leaking out.

We checked a house that wasn't cooling well when we swapped a 2 ton for a 2 ton. Air leaving the coil was 60, air coming out of his bedroom vents was 67. Main trunk ran 35' across the attic, had a internal liner but obviously that wasn't keeping out the extreme attic heat.

so what is the temp reading you've gotten?

Is this house 25 years old, Check to see if you have any insulation left in the ceiling, you may need to have some more blown, just an idea

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast