In February, 06, I bought an Extech kit (TK730) on EBAY that included a EX730 AC/DC Amp Clamp/Multimeter, IR temp Gun, line spliter, non-contact voltage detector, k-type probe and a nice case to put it all in. Paid about 2 bucks for it new. I played with the features and learned how to use it according to the instructions and everything was fine. I am not yet in the field so I am putting my tools together to start my HVAC contracting business. Last week I went to use it for the first time to test power to my father well pump in Ocala and it failed!?!? It displayed OL and beeped continously. I wasn't happy.
    I called the guys I bought it from and they said Extech would take care of it but I would be better off doing it myself instead of sending it to them. I called Extech and they asked me to FAX the invoice to them and throw the old unit away! A new one is in the mail!
    That is great customer service!
    Don't argue with an idiot, you'll have to go down to their level and they'll beat you with experience!
    New and Improved, Drain Blaster 2006 Thread
    www.AIR-WIZZ.com

Yeah yeah, use it every day then see. Fluke is where its at man. See this by simply hopscotching a circuit. Takes 3 times as long with any other meter. Flukes read voltage instantaneously. Most other 'cheap' meters autorange and it takes as long as 2 seconds to display the voltage. When you're in a troubleshoot and checking volts in 15 or 20 places time matters.

PS: I own an Extech but use it only for the Kprobe, capacitor, and ohms to 20meg.

Fluke will always be the best. I've used Fluke for 15 years. But Extech sure is nice and they have decent prices.
    Don't argue with an idiot, you'll have to go down to their level and they'll beat you with experience!
    www.AIR-WIZZ.com

ok, that sounds like a great deal.... all except the use of an IR temp gun, they are worthless.

I'm a little concerned though and hope I misunderstood....

you're not in the field yet but are gearing up to start your own HVAC business??????????

Originally posted by docholiday
    except the use of an IR temp gun, they are worthless.
    Not really Doc they work great for getting your cooking grease
    a perfect 350° before frying chicken.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

I work for for a Large (Biggest) Government Transit Agency. I am the Supervisor for the mainteneance crew of over 400 tech's. I've been there for 15 years. I am well experienced in A/C whether its on a car, bus or structure. Government employees are exempt from lots of protocal when working on government property. I am in the process of starting a legitimate HVAC business for my personall use/gain. So to your question, Yes! but I am experienced.

I like the IR gun for some things, like shooting the compressor unit or checking the heat coming off a motor. For Accurater readings like vent and pipe temps, no way. It'll get you close but not for paid work.

I bought this as my back up so I don't get caught with my pants down again

And this is the Superheat meter I bought for real temp readings

I was using the K-type feature on the clamp or my fluke but this is a great all in one tool for SH, SC, WB, DB, RH, multiple display and dual input... I bought two PK80 clamps Deluxe Fluke Pipe clamps at the local supply store.

www.AIR-WIZZ.com

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by docholiday
    except the use of an IR temp gun, they are worthless.
    Not really Doc they work great for getting your cooking grease
    a perfect 350° before frying chicken.
    Your right, I saw Alton Brown do it and I have been doing it ever since on Grease, butter or pan seering temps before putting the meat on and even the BBQ! I love cooking. I experiment a lot and temps are important to get it right.
    www.AIR-WIZZ.com

www.AIR-WIZZ.com

I got this Extech clamp meter about a year ago.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/extech/pdf/380975.pdf

All of my other meters are gathering dust. I had the Fluke combo kit 16/322, but it was stolen. I was going to buy another to replace it, but I've never been happy having to carry no less than two meters to check everything that I need to check. I looked into all-in-one clamp-ons and only turned up two of them that had everything that an hvac tech needs. Those were the Extech above, and the other was a UEI, which I thought was an unsightly and monstrous thing, that would be less handy than the 2 Fluke's.

I carry Fluke's temp clamp in the same small belt pouch with the Extech, and this thing has gotten a good workout over the last year. I don't know if I'll go back to Fluke unless they can produce something of similar versatility in the same compact size. Nothing that they offer has "all" of the scales that we need and most aren't true RMS. At least two flukes are required to do the same job. The particular Extech that I bought has serveral nice extras that the UEI lacks. A model very similar to mine will anylize 3-phase motors and circuits as well, but it lacks a couple of the other capabilities that I need.

My only complaints are:
    1) Throw the alligator clips away, because they'll only work once or twice then they're broken.
    2) Leads too short
    3) Read times are a bit slow, but I adapted pretty quickly to this.
    4) Smells like it's burnt.
    5) Price not high enough, made me feel like I was buying less than I got.

Originally posted by scoho
    This is the clamp kit I bought in February
    It has AC/DC (True RMS) Clamp, Temp (K-Type), Cap test(for what its worth) and all the other typical multimeter functions plus a backlight and hold and call back features. The new EX830 has the same with an IR/ laser gun integrated into the unit!
    www.AIR-WIZZ.com