+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bacharach FM3600 Fluoromizer.. recovery machine won't turn over..

Post Likes

Bacharach FM3600 Fluoromizer.. recovery machine won't turn over..

It's a machine for capturing refrigerant gases and trapping them into a container.

It's just like this one,except its the older version not meant for 410A.

http://www.bacharach-inc.com/PDF/Ins.../2079-0140.pdf

The motor hums, so the compressor is seized up. At best I'll have to get it unstuck. More likely I'll need to order compressor rebuild kit. What causes compressor to stick like this?

It has an open drive oil less compressor.

Post Likes
    Parts diagram lists start cap and relay for compressor. Maybe hook up compressor to an analyzer and see if it starts, or just test start capacitor? I'd try that first.

Post Likes
    It kept popping breaker. The guy I was buying from kept resetting the breaker over and over trying to demonstrate it. I hope it didn't fry more stuff.

I told him I didn't want it unless he demonstrates it works. he couldn't, but I ended up getting it for free.

I popped the cover off and tried to turn it by the motor cooling fan. It's definitely resisting.

I thought I'd solicit some input before I ripped it apart for scrap....

Post Likes

Autopsy...

I took the machine apart. Yep.. the cylinder was sticking at one point. I turned the rotor by using a pair of screw drivers to force it backward by the cooling fan.

It wasn't going to budge past a point with normal rotation, so I turned it backward until I hit the lock-up again. I powered it up and let the rotor get a running start. I broke through the seize up with the rotor's momentum.

It's a single cylinder compressor with ports on the cylinder head. Looks like an electric motor attached to a weed whacker motor.
    Exterior

It spewed oil everywhere after I got it started. I wonder if it relies on oil getting sucked back to the compressor with the refrigerant... or is oil not supposed to be allowed to get into recovery machine?

It's also been tampered with. The machine is 1999 model and the label only approves of R12/22/500/502 and comparable pressure HP and MP blends. The bottom gauge says 410A but its a Yellow Jacket flutterless that fits wobbly. The top one says Fluoromizer. It goes past 500 psi before it trips on high pressure.
    Not sure if the compressor-motor combination is designed to accommodate 410A though.

The core:

There is a partially pinched copper pipe going from the suction side to crank case. I don't know what this is for. Is it to bring oil into crankcase from suction or is it to equalize pressure for restarting under pressure?

The plumbing:

In case you haven't seen it before, that's what its like inside a recovery machine.

The port closest to bottom is low side. The one above it is high side. The reason both sides are connected to condenser is so that condenser can be purged of air prior to use.

In recovery setting:
    Low side is isolated from condenser. High side goes around the top valve, into the condenser around the valve then out.

In push-pull:
    high side goes straight down the valve to the port bypassing the compressor. This is fed into vapor space of a system. Low side goes to vapor port of recovery cylinder.

Then, the liquid side of system is joined to the liquid side (dip stick side) of recovery tank with a filter in between.

Control isn't anything snazzy. Low pressure switch is activated at some point and controller will cut out the compressor and display "evacuation complete".
    High pressure cut off will cause the same, except it displays "high pressure" on LCD. Not sure who though it was a good idea to put an LCD instead of three LED lamps in the panel.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in