York GY9S*UP Blower Noise ...

Hello from NH:

I have a York GY9S*UP furnace (4 years old now). Recently, I noticed that the blower noise (no heat, no a/c, just fan circulating) is much more loud than what it used to be. There is a loud sucking sound when the fan starts and then the noise settles down to what I can only describe as high speed air movement being obstructed by metal plate or foil. The noise is more audible at floor registers nearer the furnace.

I vacuumed the furnace blower squirrel cage with shop vac. Filter is clean. Removing filter, increases the noise level.

I am suspecting motor bearings.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

could be..... have to determine if noise is actually coming from motor
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

@carmon:

Thanks for the reply. I recently changed out a "pleated" filter and put in an "electrostatic" one. Could this be a reason?

BTW, how would I go about verifying that the noise is from motor vs. fan (out of balance) without taking the whole thing apart?

Thanks.

it takes a keen ear.... and feeling the motor bearings.... and yes some pleated filters are to resrtictive...
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Finally managed to take the blower assembly out. The blower wheel has completely detached from the central hub disc. The noise was obviously due to the blower wheel scrapping against the hub.