+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trane CGAE error code

Post Likes

Trane CGAE error code

I have a Trane CGAEC605AEA1DERM chiller. The unit has sat dormant for several years and now we are starting to try and bring it back on line. It all looks function and my service tech has been able to start it but it only runs for around 2 minutes then shuts down and displays "8A" which it says is the inlet water sensor. Is this what this code actually means? Is there any way of verifying that this is the problem that is shutting the unit down?

Post Likes
    8A means 'Chilled Water Flow (Entering Water)'. That means the entering water temp fell below the leaving water temp by more than 2 degrees which indicates loss of chilled water flow. It also could be a bad sensor or loose connection to the sensor.

Post Likes

Trane chiller

Where would these be located? I checked the roof top unit and did not see the sensor. I would like to replace it but need to know where it is located.

Post Likes
    That's a very basic question. Are you a tech or end user?

Post Likes
    I am the end user, trying to get the info for my tech so he can bring the sensor with him when he comes in.

Post Likes
    That code doesn't mean you have a bad sensor. There are several things that can cause that alarm and a bad sensor is just one of them. Your tech should be able to diagnose the problem. You don't just want to start replacing parts.

Post Likes
    This is what he has narrowed it down to. All else seems to be OK

Post Likes
    I don't understand why you would need to know where those sensors are located at so you can get the info for your tech. If he checked out your chiller and came to the conclusion you have a bad sensor, he should be well aware of what sensors they are.

This is not a DIY site.

Post Likes
    look, I am not trying to fix this myself, all I am trying to do is save a bit of time so I can have the part here so he can put it in or so he can pick it up to put in, he is on other calls and is not available every minute of the day, he has other jobs to do. I have a machine down and is essentially going to shut down production so all I am asking for is a bit of help from professionals so I can speed the process up a bit, if that's all right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by e2zmaint View Post
    I have a Trane CGAEC605AEA1DERM chiller. The unit has sat dormant for several years and now we are starting to try and bring it back on line. It all looks function and my service tech has been able to start it but it only runs for around 2 minutes then shuts down and displays "8A" which it says is the inlet water sensor. Is this what this code actually means? Is there any way of verifying that this is the problem that is shutting the unit down?
    Here your asking if this is what the code means.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    8A means 'Chilled Water Flow (Entering Water)'. That means the entering water temp fell below the leaving water temp by more than 2 degrees which indicates loss of chilled water flow. It also could be a bad sensor or loose connection to the sensor.
    Here im telling you that is not what the code means and give you some direction where to check.

That code doesn't mean you have a bad sensor. There are several things that can cause that alarm and a bad sensor is just one of them. Your tech should be able to diagnose the problem. You don't just want to start replacing parts.
    Again, im telling you there are other things to check

This is what he has narrowed it down to. All else seems to be OK
    You said in your opening post you wanted to verify that was what the problem was.

So which is it?

Post Likes
    Here your asking if this is what the code means.

Here im telling you that is not what the code means and give you some direction where to check.

Again, im telling you there are other things to check

You said in your opening post you wanted to verify that was what the problem was.

So which is it?
    thanks for the help.....

Post Likes
    thanks for the help.....
    I'm trying to help you not spend $xxx on a part you may not need.

Did you check if the machine has flow?

What do your entering and leaving water temp sensors read with flow and the machine off?

Post Likes
    the machine does have flow, the flow switch operates, I have physically watched it engage and disengage when we turn the machines' water pump on & off. We have a Johnson Controls A319 temp controller on our process water line, can't read the tag fully for the sensor it has, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I know this is difficult at the best of times, it is just that I was trying to help my tech out. The unit actually starts and runs for a couple minutes, but not long enough to read the freon pressures on either side of the compressor, and this "A8" error shows up. This machine probably has not run in 5 or 6 years so if I happen to replace a couple of parts that it may not need, at least they'll be new..

Post Likes
    What about the water temps with flow and unit off?

Post Likes
    What about the water temps with flow and unit off?
    running about ambient, outside about 69 and inside somewhere around 74

Post Likes
    What does Operating Display Menu 'E' and 'F' read with flow running through chiller and chiller off?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in