Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you have tool you want, but isn't made? Calling out the instrument manufactures!

Not unlike the Thermostat industry that has recently started to enter the modern age, The instrument manufactures we deal with aren't very good at creating solutions that fit the needs of the technician in the field. I think a big part of this problem is a lack of communication between the people who design tools and those who use them. sometimes it results in not taking the technology as far as it could go, other times tools are way more than we need. That's why I'm throwing an idea out there as an example of something simple and highly useable.

So many techs don't take the measurements because just hauling all the crap we could use to diagnose a system in and out of the house, setup, break down, taking readings....

The concept is for a dual temperature thermometer that is easy to carry, setup, read and store. No buttons to push to change the display, a magnet on the back for quick mounting, and a way to store the right kind of probes for taking accurate air temperature readings without them getting damaged.
    Oh, hey, lets get a little crazy too. we'll add a central display that tells us the DeltaT too!

Check out the attached file and let me (and a manufacture) know if you would buy one. I know I would.

Keep in mind that this thread is about a great deal more than just the tool I'm suggesting. It's about getting the tools we need to do a better job in the field and do it quicker.

feedback?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    Not unlike the Thermostat industry that has recently started to enter the modern age, The instrument manufactures we deal with aren't very good at creating solutions that fit the needs of the technician in the field. I think a big part of this problem is a lack of communication between the people who design tools and those who use them. sometimes it results in not taking the technology as far as it could go, other times tools are way more than we need. That's why I'm throwing an idea out there as an example of something simple and highly useable.

So many techs don't take the measurements because just hauling all the crap we could use to diagnose a system in and out of the house, setup, break down, taking readings....

The concept is for a dual temperature thermometer that is easy to carry, setup, read and store. No buttons to push to change the display, a magnet on the back for quick mounting, and a way to store the right kind of probes for taking accurate air temperature readings without them getting damaged.
    Oh, hey, lets get a little crazy too. we'll add a central display that tells us the DeltaT too!

Check out the attached file and let me (and a manufacture) know if you would buy one. I know I would.

Keep in mind that this thread is about a great deal more than just the tool I'm suggesting. It's about getting the tools we need to do a better job in the field and do it quicker.

feedback?

have you not met jim b, russell h, or travis yet???

although i agree completely with the jist of your post. with todays technology and the advances in computer micro chip all thermometers should be psycrometers that not only tell the usual 4, DB,WB,RH,DP. but also the entire info a psych chart will along with memory for delta calculations.

oh i know they are out there but for some you would need to dig out a real drill and 1" step bit. i do drilll lots of holes but hate drilling large holes. its destructive testing . probes need to be small enough for a small step bit that the smaller pocket drivers such as a 10.8 makita can dill all day long.

fieldpiece is hanging around here all the time, so dont paint the entire manufactures with a broad brush.

mr. bergman is also here quite often although i dohbt testo will change much based on this site. they're just too large worldwide arrogant company for that.
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

I've been quite happy with the Fluke 52II for all kinds of temp chores. A couple of Testo 605 h2 would do what you indicated in the pic.

What I would like to see is a data logger with temp, %RH, volt, and amp inputs on a cell phone type service with automatic alerts. That way when I'm running all over town, the cooler I just fixed could report its status to me.If anyone would like to buy that idea from me it's for sale

fluke has a tool that does all of that
    http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/HVAC....htm?PID=56154
    i have wanted one for some time but just cant afford the price tag right now

sorry it cant report to you all over town.

I would buy one but doesn't fieldpiece's ST4 do most of that?

If someone made an instrument that had dual psychrometer probes with display like you have designed i would probably buy one every year! (i tend to be a bit hard on my meters)

First, I should say that the title of the thread got botched it SHOULD have said "Do you WANT a tool that isn't yet made.... blah blah blah" so sorry about my late night grammar

Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    have you not met jim b, russell h, or travis yet???

Well... no not personally, no
    But I am aware that there are a number of people here that are connected to manufacturers. My point is how ofter do the tools get developed from looking at the process of the field tech? There are some real simple tools or features that can be developed just by looking at what a good tech does to either diagnose a problem or "commission" a new system.

although i agree completely with the jist of your post. with todays technology and the advances in computer micro chip all thermometers should be psycrometers that not only tell the usual 4, DB,WB,RH,DP. but also the entire info a psych chart will along with memory for delta calculations.

I get where you are going, and I have no problem with it, but my tool was intended to be a plain jane thermometer with all the information displayed at the same time. simple. cheap to make, and durable. It could be easily adapted to wet bulb temps too, but obliviously that would be more to make and probably fewer sold too. I was looking to make baby steps in the right direction. It sounds like you want bigger leaps. nothing wrong with either one.

oh i know they are out there but for some you would need to dig out a real drill and 1" step bit. i do drilll lots of holes but hate drilling large holes. its destructive testing . probes need to be small enough for a small step bit that the smaller pocket drivers such as a 10.8 makita can dill all day long.

fieldpiece is hanging around here all the time, so dont paint the entire manufactures with a broad brush.
    I know. and I support their presence here very much. But if I was fieldpiece, I would be raiding this place like king tut's tomb. All I can see are manufacturers nibbling around the edges of a prime rib. I think the potential to develop tools that people will jump all over is huge, and all they have to do is ask a few good people what they want, what they need, and what they think other techs would buy.

mr. bergman is also here quite often although i dohbt testo will change much based on this site. they're just too large worldwide arrogant company for that.
    I like a number of things that testo has come up with, but I agree, when was the last time they improved a tool based on tech feedback in order to make a product more durable, or better suited to the field?

I'll throw out an example of an existing product (DRM) that as far as I know, has yet to have a model that automatically calculates the compression ratio. Real simple for a DRM to do, and time consuming for the tech. There's a another example where it doesn't take much in the way of brains to figure out a feature that would be popular and easy to implement.
    Last edited by darctangent; 05-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

I'm with you all the way, Darc.

There is a lot of things Fieldpiece does well. Have you tried the STA2 and SRH3?

I love your idea on the compression ratio readout.

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateHT View Post
    I've been quite happy with the Fluke 52II for all kinds of temp chores. A couple of Testo 605 h2 would do what you indicated in the pic.

Nothing wrong with the 52II in my book, but it's not what I'm talking about. BTW, two 605 H2's would NOT do what I'm talking about.

What I would like to see is a data logger with temp, %RH, volt, and amp inputs on a cell phone type service with automatic alerts. That way when I'm running all over town, the cooler I just fixed could report its status to me.If anyone would like to buy that idea from me it's for sale

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    fluke has a tool that does all of that
    http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/HVAC....htm?PID=56154
    i have wanted one for some time but just cant afford the price tag right now
    I'm starting to wonder if anybody is actually READING my OP.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

feedback?

As for the specific tool in your OP, yes, I would buy one!

Haha! Sorry man, for my part I assumed you wanted wet bulb.

A patent attorney would want to know, what is the unique feature of your idea? That might help us understand the difference between this and a 52II, etc.

Is it the on board probe storage? You said you wanted no buttons. To me that says no features, I like features, even if I don't use them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I'm with you all the way, Darc.

There is a lot of things Fieldpiece does well. Have you tried the STA2 and SRH3?

I love your idea on the compression ratio readout.
    Thanks, and yes I am currently looking at both of those as they are very cool tools. (if I remember the model numbers right!) They are for in duct testing of wet bulb, and air velocity, with on board calculations for volume, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post

As for the specific tool in your OP, yes, I would buy one!
    Thanks again. I think either atleast some people aren't getting how much easier my "temperature brick" would be to carry and use, or maybe they just don't care. I'm thinking that some people haven't got the concept that the probes slide inside the body of the meter for storage and protection either.

better probes, more durable, less mess, easy to carry and customized to the way we "do business"

and yes it's true I did leave the field open to other stuff, but it seemed a good number of people weren't getting the original concept and I thought that made for a bad start.

PS- I think this tool is right up fieldpiece's alley.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast