+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoofing tools

Post Likes

Hoofing tools

What do you usually use to hoof tools up to the roof.

I usually use a shopping cart, but then I have to get my tools up to the access roof. I know youd use a rope, but what type of hook or what do you use?

I am asking because I almost fell off the ladder hoofing my vacuum pump

Post Likes
    I use a braided poly rope, approximately 1/2 in thick and 50 foot long. A skinny one cuts into your hands, a thick one is easier to pull. Wear leather gloves to avoid rope burn.
    It makes your day a lot safer and the work easier. We all need to go home uninjured at the end of the day.
    By the way, always tie your ladder to the roof, the wind will blow your ladder down and leave you stranded or something damaged or someone killed. A friend lost his new job a week into it when the ladder blew over and damaged a car.

Some of my co-workers have placed a carabiner on an end of the rope.

My pump has a ring on the underside of the handle, it makes it easy to tie the rope to it.

A normal twisted type rope will untwist a little under load and cause the load to spin, a braided rope won't

When the rope is long enough, you can tie one end to your pump and another end to your refrigerant and scale. This way you can pull each load up individually and only make a single trip up. Leave the center of the rope tied to the top of the ladder or a rooftop object.

A bucket like home depot sells for $3.00 is useful for toting contactors, capacitors , liquid line driers and other minor parts up and bringing trash down.

I changed a 4 ton compressor on a roof on Friday. A co-worker and I hauled them up and down using ropes. I brought the recovery machine and tank up with a single trip, each was tied to a separate end of the rope., bring the middle up and pull one side up at a time. This will cut your trips in half.

Lowering equipment down, you can put the rope through any load that has a hole, such as a refrigerant tank, bucket or scale. Lower the load down with both lengths of the rope, not getting them tangled. When the load is on the next floor or ground you can toss one end to where it lies away from the load and pull the entire rope up through the hole in the load. This can save you a lot of trips up the ladder as long as you learn how to avoid getting the rope tangled.

I think a braided rope of sufficient thickness is a must have tool for anyone who climbs ladders and does rooftop work as part of their trade.
    Last edited by allan38; 05-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    I use this Klein hook on a carabiner with rope, works great

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment....1&d=1338174953
    Last edited by thethomas4; 05-27-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Likes
    I was a boy scout I use simple knots and rope that holds 250 lbs of weight.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    That was a great post. Thank you for taking your valuable time to reply
    Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    I use a braided poly rope, approximately 1/2 in thick and 50 foot long. A skinny one cuts into your hands, a thick one is easier to pull. Wear leather gloves to avoid rope burn.
    It makes your day a lot safer and the work easier. We all need to go home uninjured at the end of the day.
    By the way, always tie your ladder to the roof, the wind will blow your ladder down and leave you stranded or something damaged or someone killed. A friend lost his new job a week into it when the ladder blew over and damaged a car.

Some of my co-workers have placed a carabiner on an end of the rope.

My pump has a ring on the underside of the handle, it makes it easy to tie the rope to it.

A normal twisted type rope will untwist a little under load and cause the load to spin, a braided rope won't

When the rope is long enough, you can tie one end to your pump and another end to your refrigerant and scale. This way you can pull each load up individually and only make a single trip up. Leave the center of the rope tied to the top of the ladder or a rooftop object.

A bucket like home depot sells for $3.00 is useful for toting contactors, capacitors , liquid line driers and other minor parts up and bringing trash down.

I changed a 4 ton compressor on a roof on Friday. A co-worker and I hauled them up and down using ropes. I brought the recovery machine and tank up with a single trip, each was tied to a separate end of the rope., bring the middle up and pull one side up at a time. This will cut your trips in half.

Lowering equipment down, you can put the rope through any load that has a hole, such as a refrigerant tank, bucket or scale. Lower the load down with both lengths of the rope, not getting them tangled. When the load is on the next floor or ground you can toss one end to where it lies away from the load and pull the entire rope up through the hole in the load. This can save you a lot of trips up the ladder as long as you learn how to avoid getting the rope tangled.

I think a braided rope of sufficient thickness is a must have tool for anyone who climbs ladders and does rooftop work as part of their trade.

Post Likes
    I use an apprentice......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    I am an apprentice, but it is still nice to have a rope .

Post Likes
    what?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    what?
    x2

Post Likes
    haha....im really laughing over here

Post Likes
    You should try a two inch wide 30' tow strap instead of rope. If it has the safety catch on the hooks remove any one this way you can use it either way.

Post Likes
    Name:  boom_headshot.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  45.8 KB
    UA LU189

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I use a Warn works pullzall. I attach it to my ladder above the roof at shoulder level then winch equip up and down with a grapple hook while holding ladder away from the roof to clear the building.
    I attach the large 5" carabiners to each load then climb ladder. Rope up Pullzall, attach to ladder, plug in to ext cord and lift away. Hook into carabiners with grapple hook and lift next item.

http://www.pullzall.info/index.php?o...&id=1&Itemid=6

Post Likes
    that thing is freakin awesome!!!

have u lugged up compressors with it?

Post Likes
    I sure have! It has a load limit of 1000lbs but only fifteen feet of cable. So I switched out the orig. cable to a smaller diameter cable that gives me 30 feet with 500lb capacity. The unit cost $300 plus tax. If I look at $100 minimum to get a lift, it has already paid for itself on three rooftops. However, I mostly do comm. refrig. and this unit is SWEET for lifting 200lb compressors out of racks and satellite installations.

I have also used it for moving my hot tub, pulling a dead car up onto my flatdeck, and even for pulling a tree away from my Dad's garage before cutting it down. Works very well.

As a side note, it doesn't come with a case to protect it, so I found an old blowmolded porter cable circ saw case at the local swap shed and with a propane torch heated the inside until I could form it (with gloves on) to fit the pullzall. Makes for an easy carrying, lightweight, protective toolbox like my drill/sawzall/impactor/flashlight kit came with.

Post Likes
    man i really want one. would you recommend the battery one or the 115v?

think you could make a video of how you hoist stuff onto a roof?

Post Likes
    Go with 115v, batteries crap out over time, too much money to replace, IMHO...batteries would be good for the bush if you are using it to pull ATV out of the mud maybe.
    I promise I will work on a video as soon as I have a bit of time to spare.

Post Likes
    i googled reviews for the pullzall and came up with lots of negative reviews. how long have you owned yours?

alot of reviews about the motor smoking, not working out of the box, only getting a couple uses out of it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in