Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I don't know about other UA local unions, but here in California when you become an apprentice you are required to go to school two nights a week. You can be terminated from the program if you miss more than two classes per semester. Your education in the program actually falls under the jurisdiction of the community college district.

I can imagine it would be tough to walk away from a $60K per year job. The only thing I can ask is "Is it worth it?". I believe if there's a will, the way can be figured out. I started in this trade at $2.25/hr., but the last year I made less than $60K was 1985. Money shouldn't be your only motivation. Find something you are passionate about and go for it. I love this trade and love going to work.
    Hey, since you're in San Diego, how's Honeywell doing out there? The BM says there's no Mechanics down there, only Automation Techs. Is it true they closed their Branch Office?

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined
    Hey, since you're in San Diego, how's Honeywell doing out there? The BM says there's no Mechanics down there, only Automation Techs. Is it true they closed their Branch Office?
    Honeywell? Never heard of them... No mechanical presence here.

I don't know about other UA local unions, but here in California when you become an apprentice you are required to go to school two nights a week. You can be terminated from the program if you miss more than two classes per semester. Your education in the program actually falls under the jurisdiction of the community college district.

I can imagine it would be tough to walk away from a $60K per year job. The only thing I can ask is "Is it worth it?". I believe if there's a will, the way can be figured out. I started in this trade at $2.25/hr., but the last year I made less than $60K was 1985. Money shouldn't be your only motivation. Find something you are passionate about and go for it. I love this trade and love going to work.
    Money is not the only motivation. If it was, I would stay put despite me being unhappy where I am. I'm trying to think long-term. The direction my "profession" has been heading is not good in more ways than one. We are all disgusted as a whole. Too many details to go into. The bottom line is, our sanity and security is on the line. Btw, we're certainly not treated like professionals; we're treated like children from both administration and parents. Principals who still have blood running through their veins are hard to come by. Anyway...

Well, I have lots of thinking to do. My hope was to do part-time (late afternoons/weekends) work to gain experience and time put in or go to a trade school part-time and then get work which would pay enough. Looks like that is not an option according to those here. If I could start at around 40k, I would do so in a heartbeat. I would take that cut. Working as an apprentice for $15 an hour, for example, would be about 30k and that probably wouldn't be a realistic option for me. We're looking to have kids, etc. Not sure what types of jumps in pay there are.
    Thanks for all the help so far everyone...

It's a dilemna later in life definitely. You also have to look at yourself. Are you a hands on physical sort of guy? Can you handle extreme temperatures hot and cold? Are you mechanically inclined? If you answer no too any of these, find something else to do. Especially as you enter your 40s. I'm 44, I've been doing this for 12 years and am slowly transitioning myself out of the more physical end of it. IMO, it takes around 5-8 years in the trade before you become proficient at it, not saying you aren't any good before that, but that is where everything starts to click and it becomes more routine, simply because you've seen a lot of issues. Don't get me wrong, I still learn something new every week and get my ass humbled a few times a year, but it doesn't happen as much anymore.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    It's a dilemna later in life definitely. You also have to look at yourself. Are you a hands on physical sort of guy? Can you handle extreme temperatures hot and cold? Are you mechanically inclined? If you answer no too any of these, find something else to do. Especially as you enter your 40s. I'm 44, I've been doing this for 12 years and am slowly transitioning myself out of the more physical end of it. IMO, it takes around 5-8 years in the trade before you become proficient at it, not saying you aren't any good before that, but that is where everything starts to click and it becomes more routine, simply because you've seen a lot of issues. Don't get me wrong, I still learn something new every week and get my ass humbled a few times a year, but it doesn't happen as much anymore.
    Yes, being later in life, it is a dilemma for sure. I am mechanically inclined, or at least I think so. I used to work on cars when I was younger and was considering being a mechanic back then. I just didn't see being a car mechanic as something I wanted to do for a living, so chose not to. It was more as a hobby and just kept it that way.
    I am in very good shape for my age (play ice hockey twice a week, eat very healthy, etc). So, I'm fine now but when age really catches up which it will no matter what, I figure, as you mentioned, I could move to a less physical department.
    Looks like I have to find out starting pay for apprentices here in NY. If it's close to $20, it's doable. If it's about $15, that would be tough. Too bad I'm not a 20-year old kid again; I wouldn't have to worry about the pay so much lol

ever consider being a dispatcher or assistant service manager in an office. might be more of a road to take with being a teacher experiences(what grade and subjects) better money but more politics then the field...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    ever consider being a dispatcher or assistant service manager in an office. might be more of a road to take with being a teacher experiences(what grade and subjects) better money but more politics then the field...
    I suppose it would be a possibility. I still have to speak to someone who is in the HVAC field through a co-worker's husband. He should have more info for me too. As long as the pay is enough and not too many politics involved, I'll be happy. I just want to work and come home. I'm just tired of the politics, endless, USELESS paperwork, parents in denial, and admin who treats us like incompetent children.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt
    Not sure what types of jumps in pay there are.
    I don't know what the wage schedule in the New York area is, but you should be able to find out. Local 250 (Los Angeles) posts the current wage schedule online. You can find it here. Click on the top wage schedule. Shows you everything you'd need to know.

I don't know what the wage schedule in the New York area is, but you should be able to find out. Local 250 (Los Angeles) posts the current wage schedule online. You can find it here. Click on the top wage schedule. Shows you everything you'd need to know.
    Thanks for that info. I'll have to find out what NY is. At least I have a better idea as to the types of increases. They're better than I thought, so that's good.

I don't know how things in NY are but 36K is awfully close to 40K and something to consider especially since it'll be going up each year. Yeah, first couple of years will be tight in comparison with what you're making now, but things could be worse.. I'd love to start at $18 with benefits, annual increases and pension lol

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    I don't know how things in NY are but 36K is awfully close to 40K and something to consider especially since it'll be going up each year. Yeah, first couple of years will be tight in comparison with what you're making now, but things could be worse.. I'd love to start at $18 with benefits, annual increases and pension lol
    I agree. It is more than what I thought, though I still have to find out what the wages are in NY.
    So, the big question is: How do you become an apprentice?? Can you start off as one (as opposed to starting as a tradesman). If so, how? Is there a waiting list of some kind? What if you have a connection/know someone? Are there certain tests that need to be taken/passed? Thanks in advance!!!!

NYC UA as out in LA 250 steamfitters on the 638B side that covers HVAC techs FIRST year in... 10.95 first 6mts/last 6mts 17.60 2nd yr 21.21 3rd yr 24.71 4th yr 29.82 at the end of tht 4th yr right into Journeymen 36.30.every hour you work the union puts 4.50 into a pension.aprentices have to go to the union school one day a week (getting payed) and have to keep attendance and marks up to advance with raises into Journeymen.non union shops have no wage rates just the minimum wage here in NY
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    NYC UA as out in LA 250 steamfitters on the 638B side that covers HVAC techs FIRST year in... 10.95 first 6mts/last 6mts 17.60 2nd yr 21.21 3rd yr 24.71 4th yr 29.82 at the end of tht 4th yr right into Journeymen 36.30.every hour you work the union puts 4.50 into a pension.aprentices have to go to the union school one day a week (getting payed) and have to keep attendance and marks up to advance with raises into Journeymen.non union shops have no wage rates just the minimum wage here in NY
    Thanks maxster! So, how do I get into an apprenticeship program? Thanks everyone for all of your help so far. Very helpful members here!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast