+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Freeze Stat

Post Likes

No Freeze Stat

Why would a manufacturer depend on the temperature thermistor that cycles the chiller for freeze protection? Yesterday I went out on a MR chiller and found the Glycol running at 2F, everything was iced up. It had locked up the Cold head compressor and one of the LCC Gradient pumps was locked up.

The discharge Glycol/water thermistor went bad and was reading 80F, full speed head at 2F.

Seems like a cheap old Penn control would solve the problem, but its probaly cost $40.

Post Likes
    GE machine? The one with the chinese writing all over it.... Well wait till you see how much that pump is.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Post Likes
    A better question is why didn't the software program recognize the LWT 78*F higher than the EWT and shut the machine down?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    GE machine? The one with the chinese writing all over it.... Well wait till you see how much that pump is.
    I have a supplier that I buy from at 1/3 the cost of the OEM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    A better question is why didn't the software program recognize the LWT 78*F higher than the EWT and shut the machine down?
    Only item in the software that recognizes high RWT brings on the second compressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Only item in the software that recognizes high RWT brings on the second compressor.
    Sounds like garbage.

Does the manufacture require field provided freeze protection?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Or why didn't the software recognize such a high approach?

Also, sn't there a low evap refrigerant temp setpoint?

Post Likes
    that is what i am thinking, i would look at a low EWT setpoint,. i would think it should be set up around 35., if this machine has this option,.
    if not i would install one., but this machine with factory controls should have some sort of protection.,
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Sounds like garbage.

Does the manufacture require field provided freeze protection?

I have complained to the factory about no protection, but it seems the engineers are clueless. They do require a 50/50 mix, which saved the chiller plates. But I bet the pumps were pumping Slush at 2F.

Field provided no, because the thermistor will shut it down.

Post Likes
    I've seen Trane machines with CH530 controls have leaving chilled water temp sensors fail reading high and the machine would limit on low evap refrigerant temp. Also, they will trip when the leaving temp reads higher than entering temp. The latest software will also cut out on high approach. Kinda triple redundant on freeze protection.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I've seen Trane machines with CH530 controls have leaving chilled water temp sensors fail reading high and the machine would limit on low evap refrigerant temp. Also, they will trip when the leaving temp reads higher than entering temp. The latest software will also cut out on high approach. Kinda triple redundant on freeze protection.

That's a great setup for protection,
    Triple safety, nice
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in