Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry a/c issue american standerd runing all day

Hi I’m bobby. I’m having some issues with my ac. I have an American standard fuernace cub100a936c4 and ac unit 2q7b0030a1000aa. The unit runs all day this was install in Chicago area on a raised ranch brick with no insulation instilled in the walls it’s doubled bricked. I have 3 registers in the living room no returns with thermostat in living room and have big picture windows. 1 retune in the hall and 1 retune and register is all 3 bed rooms and 2 register in bathroom. 2 register in the kitchen. 5 register in the basement. Duck work size is 20x8 for feed and supply tapering down to smaller size running the length of the house. No attic fan just vents not sure how many at this time. The system never works right from install. I had the first installer come back to try to fix it but nothing at first I only had a small 16x16 in wall retune in the hall on the bottom wall, then installed on at the top of the wall for more air cfm. Then two in the basement 6" ducks. It helped only 5% from how it was. I then called a different installer and he told me that the ducks are under side, and need more air to the retune. he told me the he can fix it by putting in a 18 inch round returnee in the hall and feed it from the attic in to the bedroom closet and down throw the floor joists. He said it would fix it 150% but it did not. That did help maybe 25% but I can never get the ac to stop and get to 76 deg that I set on the thermostat.

What is wrong? What can I do to make the ac work right and cool the house it’s been like this for 6yrs?
    The house is 105x25. That’s 2625sft.
    The ac unit is 2.5 ton furnace is 100,000 buts’
    What type of ton ac unit should I have? Should I install an attic fan, and more insulation in the attic I think it has 6 inches of lose fill cellos Thank you all who respond to my post sorry for the long post

If the unit is working properly and not keeping up you either need a larger unit or you need to add some insulation

Angry

thanks for the reply. Dose any one know of a hvac engineering firms in chicago that will evaluate my whole house, and help me build a new system or fix my old one. So that it is working the way it should and the way i want it to work.

2.5 tons is undersized for your square footage without even considering heat load

Add 10 to 12 inches of insulation first or better to have a energy audit

the a/c is way undersized for 2600+ sq' with no insulation.

you'll need bigger equipment or insulate/seal up the house.

your duct work will have to be sized to the new equipment too...this won't be cheap.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

thanks for the replys. Ok so what type of system should i get for ac ton 3.5, 4 ton? what size duct work should i have for main line supply and return, and what size take off's. Right now they a 6" round no insulation on take off's and main lines. im thinking of just doing the work my self maybe. i was looking at a goodman

4.0 Ton 16 Seer Goodman 115,000 Btu 80% Afue Gas System - SSX160481 - CAPF4860C6 - GME81005CX - TX5N4

do think that is a good price for the unit? Price: US $$$$

Removed link to direct purchase site.

I can do most of the duct work and install, i will have some pro's do the gas and elec. and the fill.

Any help of ideas would be great. Thanks again for the help!!!!
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-27-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Pricing and purchase site

promise to post pics when done.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobby181 View Post
    The house is 105x25. That’s 2625sft.
    Are these the overall, outside, dimensions of your house?
    You are correct in saying that 105'x25' = 2625sqft.
    You have to measure each room individually and add up the space inside that you are trying to condition.

Either way you might still be close to 2000sqft and if you don't have the right R value then 2.5 tons of cooling will never do it.

There's just not enough information to help.
    Call a contractor to perform load calculations.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

im thinking of just doing the work my self maybe. i was looking at a goodman
    Now we can't help you.

We don't offer any DIY advise on this board.

What I will tell you, is that anyone who uses the term "ducks" should not be installing ductwork.

Your going to need someone out there to look at the house, and it's not going to be cheap.

Your going to spend alot more trying to do this yourself, than you are having someone do it right the first time.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

thanks for the reply. Dose any one know of a hvac engineering firms in chicago that will evaluate my whole house, and help me build a new system or fix my old one. So that it is working the way it should and the way i want it to work.
    can you say Yellow Pages

Lets see at 500 square pr ton a 5 ton should do it

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Now we can't help you.

We don't offer any DIY advise on this board.

What I will tell you, is that anyone who uses the term "ducks" should not be installing ductwork.

Your going to need someone out there to look at the house, and it's not going to be cheap.

Your going to spend alot more trying to do this yourself, than you are having someone do it right the first time.
    I was using my cell to post it has auto fillin text. Yes i do know that it is "Ducts" and not Ducks..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast