Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contractor didn't remove dry nitrogen

I had a 2 1/2 ton new r-22 outside air unit installed today while I was at work. My father was there with them. They messed around for jhours trying to get it right. A couple hours after they left they called me at work and told me they didn't know it came charged with dry nitrogen and hadn't evacuated it before filling with r22 . They would be back in a hour to fix it. I got home before they got they to discover ther unit had never came close to reaching the house temperature to shut off in the 4 hours since it was started . I shut it down. After coming back and evacuating and refilling with r22 the unit seems to be working alright. Was it damaged by running it with dry nitrogen and r22 ? What should I do about it.

no damage, just incompetent tech/installer.

ouch. I keep hearing about this, it's hard to believe STILL techs are buying dry shipped R22 systems, reading the sticker on the unit stating MUST REMOVE NITROGEN and they still miss it.
    only thing damaged is your power bill with the system trying to cool with no refrigerant in the system. 4 hours should not be long enough to hurt anything. enjoy your working system. I'm glad they got it fixed!
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

vstech..you are assuming they read the sticker.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

STOP is always the first word on that sticker. I always assumed they meant stop reading. What does the rest of the sticker say??

The word retard comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    vstech..you are assuming they read the sticker.
    actually, I am assuming they can read...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Mr. JDD3,

Don't know what state you're in, but these folks really need to be reported....[I'm trying not to say "Raked over the coals]....

You seem like a well informed customer, good for YOU...
    What else do you recon they screwed up?

Did you check them out before using them, or go with the lowest quote?

Good luck...
    "Value our Differences"

The repairman was the same person who installed the unit 13 years earlier and advised me he would change the outside unit and the expansion valve inside. He told me about them shipping the units dry and since no problems for 13 years I trusted him. The day of the install I had to work and he was not here for the install. My father told me the helper pulled the sticker right after he placed the unit on the pad. I'm wondering if I need to call and ask the company if they were smart enough to pull the piston before installing the expansion valve. Arkansas.
    Last edited by Jdd3; 05-27-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

I have to question the ethnicity of the installer and their ENGLISH comprehension skills. Believe, if you live around houston you know it's a problem.

Running the unit with the dry nitrogen has not harmed your unit. I'd be more concerned about the validuty of the installer and your factory warranty at this point.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

it's not all bad... at least they phoned and admitted there error... it happens we are all human.... it does however pay to read instructions.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by Jdd3 View Post
    The repairman was the same person who installed the unit 13 years earlier and advised me he would change the outside unit and the expansion valve inside. He told me about them shipping the units dry and since no problems for 13 years I trusted him. The day of the install I had to work and he was not here for the install. My father told me the helper pulled the sticker right after he placed the unit on the pad. I'm wondering if I need to call and ask the company if they were smart enough to pull the piston before installing the expansion valve. Arkansas.
    You literally can't install a piston and a TXV at the same time.

Don't worry about it. They admitted their mistake. Move on.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

[QUOTE=hvacvegas;13332031]You literally can't install a piston and a TXV at the same time.

Have to disagree with that. I have seen too many new installers forget to remove the piston when adding a txv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast