+ Reply to Thread

Thread: testo hook broke

Post Likes

testo hook broke

Anyone know a fix for the flimsy aluminum hook on the back of the Testo550? I love the gauges but the hook sucks. Broke off at the ball. Need to hang my gauges.

Post Likes
    Stupid design and I think it is just pot metal. Somebody had cost cutting in mind instead of durability!!

Call Testo and they should send a new one, it is a common issue. Probably have pallets full.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Stupid design and I think it is just pot metal. Somebody had cost cutting in mind instead of durability!!

Call Testo and they should send a new one, it is a common issue. Probably have pallets full.
    um wondering how you know?? call testo ; they will take care of you just like the ppl at digikewl
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Post Likes
    I store, transport, and work with my Testo 550 in a padded case, and recommend that others learn to do so too.
    Testo makes nice instruments, but they are padded case instruments.

My first generation Testo 523 still works as good as the day it was made, but it basically is never fully removed from proximity to its padded case. Even when I hang it, the case is positioned under it.

My 2nd gen 523 died 4 times under warranty before I gave up on it and quit sending it in.
    It never had a padded case.

My 550 broke from a 16 inch fall off the top of a refrigerant tank, so I got a padded case for it, which I believe will be the key to getting a useful service life out of it.

Post Likes
    Im on #4 with mine. 2 broke hanging on units and the other I had them laying in a bucket and tossed some stuff in on top of it and snap!

Post Likes
    Funny, both my SMAN3 and AK900 have taken 4 foot falls off condensers. I don't think it left any discernible marks. I'm to clumsy for a Testo.

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I'm to clumsy for a Testo.

Dan
    practical application outside of lab conditions is not the place for Testo.

as Mark said, Testo DRSAs have been a poor choice for field work. I have the 2nd gen 523 and had similar issues. Testo refused to fix it the last time, still under warranty, yet they said tuff !!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Any of these broken hooks the new hook that is thicker?
    I guess they made some improvement to the hook but it didn't sound like it would fit the original case

My first gen 523 rolls around in the back of my truck and dropped a few times right on the hook and all good. The second gen 523 hook I thought was silly but is heavy duty compared to the new hook.

I wish they sold more when they were better so now we have less choices today. The stuff that matters has gotten so freggin cheap to hit that price everyone wanted to buy

Even the Digicool hook is not what it used to be. The old one was the eight wonder.

I guess this is what the majority of guys wanted so can we complain lol
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The stuff that matters has gotten so freggin cheap to hit that price everyone wanted to buy
    The pipe temperature sensor for my first generation 523, due to both the overall design of the probe, and that it is a platinum based PT100 sensor, is the most accurate and precise pipe probe I've ever used.
    It is also almost as convenient to use as a pipe clamp type probe.

Unfortunately the replacement cost of just the probe was/is close to the cost of what an entire DRSA + 2 probes are now!

I really like both my Digi-Cool BTD-1000 and DRSA-1250 because the instruments themselves are extremely durable, but the temperature probes for the 1250 have been a real letdown.
    I may try again with some new probes now that they are using better wire, but I also want to separate the probes into 2 separate plugs.

Post Likes

re-made testo hook

I had to have a hanger so I just made one, took about 15 minutes. I just got an eyebolt, welded a bigger head on the end and ground it round and rebent the ends. This one won't break. If you don't have a welder, just silver solder the ball shape.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Wow Looks good enough to rip the back of the unit off now
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    nothing like a airborne 550 falling into some compressor drive belts to wake you up on a cold frosty morning.

But seriously we work around moving machinery TESTO should have sorted it long ago.

Post Likes
    I had hopes that #4 would come with something different to keep that from happening....and when it didn't, it is what it is. That hook that you have made......wow

Post Likes

Replacement Hook

If purchase before this year, please send your shipping address to jbickers@testo.com, and I'll have one shipped to you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    Funny, both my SMAN3 and AK900 have taken 4 foot falls off condensers. I don't think it left any discernible marks. I'm to clumsy for a Testo.

Dan
    I've had two new SMAN 3 exchanges. Fieldpiece took care of me

Testo took care of me too with my 557

But I still haven't figured out how to use the thing Yeah, I know what you guys are thinking...but that instruction manual ain't exactly easy to grasp.

Been using my SMAN instead.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in