Updating the area that our return duct is, I wanted to get a replacement grille for it. Existing *grille* is 32" wide x 8" high. Looking at replacements (specifically AmeriFlows website) it says to size to the return *duct* size.

This is not a problem, but can I assume that the grille will have the same dimensions? The holes for the existing one are right near the edges of the grille, so I would need it to be very close to 32" wide or else I have plenty of drywall covering to do.

Thanks in advance!
    -Chris

The standard size close to yours is 30 X 6. The actual size of that grill is 31-1/4 X 7-1/4. If that's what you have, then you can pick them up at just about any home improvement store. If not, you'll need to dig deeper. Maybe call a local HVAC shop and see if they can help you out.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy

Yeah Im thinking thats the correct size. I checked our local HD and they didnt have anything nearly as big. Checked our local HVAC supplier and they stock Lima/Milcor grilles. Any good?

Ive found the equivalent Hart/Cooley model online, its fairly inexpensive. Would they be a better quality than the Lima/Milcor? The current grill is pretty heavy duty.......definitely not your standard stamped steel, it weighs a good 10 lbs or so. I like the quality of it, its just been painted and repainted about 10 times so it looks pretty shoddy. If the Lima grilles arent bad maybe Ill check out the HVAC supply tomorrow to see if they have one for me.

-Chris

Lima are ok. Any of the brands are going to be about the same. If you really like the one you have. Take it to a local machine shop and have them sandblast it clean. Then primer and paint it. Will look good as new.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy