Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl siding

After many years of hearing the wife complain about the exterior of our house, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting vinyl siding. We live in a typical New England town where many houses are still painted white. My home is a Neo Dutch Colonial and was built in 1930. I'm a conservative guy and I believe in preserving history. It kills me to think of covering this house in plastic, but the prices I'm getting for paint are about $12k-$15k. And who knows how long that will last. I've been trying to painstakingly paint it (sand, caulk, prime,paint), but I just don't have the time.

So,now I'm looking at a quality vinyl job from a real skilled craftsman, who comes highly recommended. Not your typical low budget siding job.

Who has vinyl? How badly has it faded? Have you had to paint or repair it? An old Yankee farmer who's a customer of mine had his 1800's house done, and he kind of talked me into it. I dunno. It just seems wrong.

Siding installs are no differant then HVAC installs.
    It is only as good as the person installing it.

Vinyl siding fades but you can only tell if 10 years later put a saved piece from the install up to your house and compare the two.

Shutters fade very fast and do look horrible after 12-15 years.

Today there are so many great choices why not look into non vinyl.

There are products that look like your wood planks but are not "vinly siding" they even have real nail holes for the perfect look.

It's all about the $

They even have a new product that comes in a large section, several rows and looks like wood.

I have aluminum siding. I'm starting on the garage next month, gonna rip it all off and go with pre stained MaxiTile fiber-cement (cementious) siding planks. Similar to James Hardiplank. Then I'm gonna do the whole house. Supposed to last 20 years plus. My neighbor across the alley has vinyl. Garbage truck hit it on the corner. Had faded bad, didn't match the replacment panels. Not even close. I can't comment if he went cheapo or not. But the one thing about his vinyl, is you have to leave the nails loose, so it expands and contracts. The side of his garage faces west and I can hear it expand and contract when the sun comes out. Very annoying to hear this pop all day when I'm in my garage. Search http://www.finehomebuilding.com

Hardi-Plank.

You will need to be very casreful with the pre-stained or pre-painted panels, because you'll never exactly match what they put on.

We have the old masonite cr*p that is starting to fall apart. We literally signed the contract for the Hardi-Plank tonight and they start in 2 weeks. The entire job , about 2100 square feet) will take a couple of weeks, but they will do everything. Remove the old stuff, wrap the house, install and paint the Hardie-Plank and the rest of the house (it's stucco).

One thing about the Hardi-Plank is to maintain the warranty, it has to be painted every 5(?) years. We know about maintaining warranties, right?

Crane & CertainTeed make insulated vinyl, with a rigid insulation material formed to it. Really helps with impact resistanct if it ever hails like it does out here. Also adds some Rvalue to the walls while acting as a reinforcement to the vinyl. Hardi and other cement sidings have a good wood-like look and aren't too hard to work with. They hold paint well (if you like to paint).
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Vinyl siding sucks! Pay attention to houses with vinyl as you drive around for a couple of months. All I see are the joints sticking out like a sore thumb. The siding gets all wavey looking no matter how it's installed. IMHO it just looks so fake. I like wood no matter how much maintenance is required. Just continue with your scrapeing, sanding, and priming because you will have a better looking home.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

you might check on steel siding. it resists fading alot better. when i was checking on siding alot of homeowners i talked to had it and they loved it. 15 yrs later and it had not faded. it doesnt get brittle and is more durable overall. besides vinyl has surely gone up since it is made from oil. right???

My house is 17 years old and has a brick front and vinyl on the other three sides. The siding is not warped, faded, cracked or any thing else. It may have faded slightly but I can't tell. Personally I like vinyl, it looks good and lasts a lot longer than wood with no maintance. Even if vinyl only lasted 20 years, it would still be worth it not to paint evry two years.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Wow!!! Every one has an opionion on this one.

My house was built around 1895 as near as we can figure. Main St. Vermont USA.

Every house is white clapboard in this neighborhood. I tried to keep paint on the sucker for years because it was the cheapest way out. When I got some money I vinyl sided one side at a time. We have a total of 25 old sash windows that got replaced also to prevent heat lost. $200. a pop.

The secret is to use only white. White doesn't fad. White won't be discounted. The clapboard type has and will be around for a long time. Even when only 25% of our house was sided in vinyl it didn't stand out or look funny. The last side I put up myself. It ain't rocket science. 75% of the cost is labor.

Another tip is to put it up so that you aren't looking into the seam when you are coming (driving) at it. Then you don't see the overlap.

My house is warmer and the historic value, I feel, is not that much comprimised. They didn't have those "Towelhead bastards" back when this house was built. "

Now Now Ben thats not nice we call em curry munchers here much better politically.

Personally I think vinyl siding blows. Hardie planks are nice I like wood I have wood siding cedar siding to be exact and I'm keeping it and painting it myself
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Thanks for the responses. I had the vinyl guy out last night. I just don't know...ripping mouldings out from under the soffits and covering freise boards with the siding material...to cutting my window sills which extend beyond the window trim...I dunno. Trying to make it work, but I'm not willing to change the look of the house. They can wrap the window frames and sills w/aluminum, but I'm leaning towards not touching them and I'll just paint them. But then if I leave the old clapboard up, I'm going to lose the depth of the window frames and the J channel will be flush with the window mouldings. They're willing to work w/me, but the more I look at the detail, the more I hate plastic.

I really don't think I can live w/that. I think we're gonna paint...or move.

Maybe I'm nuts. I can feel the original owner rolling in his grave. I feel like I went to the altar (with the vinyl guy) but I just can't say "I do". I don't think I can do it to this house.

Yeah! Wood siding wins! Plastic may be passable on new starter homes but a nice old house like it sounds like you have does'nt deserve to have that nice wood buried under plastic. You have made the right choice.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

I rather look at vinyl than peeling paint. My house is 2 stories so painting was an never ending chore. But to each there own. I'm glad I did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast