Anyone Run 1 5/8 Soft Drawn ?

I have a job where the refer lines run under a parking lot. Its about a 40 foot run. The original line is cased in PVC pipe. The engineers said the current line is too large for the new equipment and want a smaller line ran. I can dig up at either end and if I could pull soft drawn it would a wayyyyyy easier job than ripping up the parking lot.

I have never tried to pull 1 5/8 soft drawn... didnt know if anyone has before and if it is worth a shot or just dig it up?
    Two wire hook up, three wire f**k up.

I have never seen AC&R tubing that big. I have seen "L" & "K" soft copper water tubing as big as 2-1/8". But it is not dehydrated. Maybe OK with a super sized drier. :-)
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

No it's acr fully dehydrated. Just don't know how easy it would be to pull underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    I have never seen AC&R tubing that big. I have seen "L" & "K" soft copper water tubing as big as 2-1/8". But it is not dehydrated. Maybe OK with a super sized drier. :-)
    Haven't played with the big stuff yet...no problem getting ACR piping up to 4 1/8 OD in size.

The largest they make soft-drawn 50ft coil is 1 5/8 so it is out there...never worked with trying to push or pull that size. Pulling the pipe would not be a problem with rope and patience, like electricians due with their larger lines. But how to insulate or keep the insulation from ripping apart, is another thing. Then would also have to take in account dips and slight bends in the piping causing minor oil traps..would want to keep that tubing at straight as possible. I know most manufactures and just good practice is to have the suction line drop a 1/4" minimum for every 10ft to the condensing unit or riser...do not know your application, but a few things to just keep in mind if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    No it's acr fully dehydrated. Just don't know how easy it would be to pull underground.
    You cant.

I have a building set up the same way. Occasionally it will spring a leak under ground inside the PVC.

We call a plumber who runs a camera through the PVC and look for bubbles since the line set is usually submerged. He marks the spot and we start digging.

Las time the plumber told the owner he could pull the 11/8 soft copper line and install a new line.

I knew it wasnt possible. He and three illegals struggled with it for 4 hours and then rented a back hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Haven't played with the big stuff yet...no problem getting ACR piping up to 4 1/8 OD in size.

The largest they make soft-drawn 50ft coil is 1 5/8 so it is out there...never worked with trying to push or pull that size. Pulling the pipe would not be a problem with rope and patience, like electricians due with their larger lines. But how to insulate or keep the insulation from ripping apart, is another thing. Then would also have to take in account dips and slight bends in the piping causing minor oil traps..would want to keep that tubing at straight as possible. I know most manufactures and just good practice is to have the suction line drop a 1/4" minimum for every 10ft to the condensing unit or riser...do not know your application, but a few things to just keep in mind if necessary.
    When wire sizes electricians use machines and a lot of lubrication to pull the wire.

That kind of stresa on soft copper would just deform and then tear it.

It's a straight shot no 90s/45s. It seems like in 8 inch pipe it wouldn't be terrible but I was checking to see though from someone's who's tried.