+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor overheating and shut down???

Post Likes

Compressor overheating and shut down???

system had a leak fixed the leak and charged unit up. At first the compressor turn on and off, Then i opened the main disconnect and restarted it, Compressor turned on and was making a funny noise then stop making the noise, ran for a couple of minutes and then shut off, At the touch of the compressor it was hot. now compressor will not run?????

History on the unit: hasnet ran in couple of months its a cold room 404A, I barrowed the compressor overload when the unit was unoccupied, to replace a cold room that burnt out its overload, order a new and then installed it back to the compressor wired it the same as the others, charged the system up 22lb of 404A liqiud, and started the unit and now compressor isnt running ????

Post Likes
    We are going to need alot more info than that.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Post Likes
    Soiunds like its broken
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by McLean Air View Post
    We are going to need alot more info than that.
    what kinda of info ?

Post Likes
    Had voltage going to the compressor and ohm out the compressor windings seem good.... even when compressor is off the block warms up...

Post Likes
    3 phase? Amps? Semi herm? What do your pressures look like when it does run? Why did the old overload fail? What kind of overload? Did you pull a good vac? Did you weigh in a charge? Why 22 pounds of 404? Receiver?
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Post Likes
    Part winding start?

Post Likes
    I would Chk my voltage, everything you said leads me in that direction. It could be under, over or you've lost a leg and single phasing. A blown fuse or bad breaker will do this every time. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smjrusche View Post
    I would Chk my voltage, everything you said leads me in that direction. It could be under, over or you've lost a leg and single phasing. A blown fuse or bad breaker will do this every time. Good luck.
    It sounds like a power problem to me as well. Other things could be a large voltage drop on the contactor or disconnect, loose connection, short to ground, or you didn't wire the new overload correctly (I would recommend wiring it as the manufacturer specifies, not how the other ones are).
    The fact that you can not get it to run now period is a reason for concern. I would recommend being very confident in all your electrical before you attempt to start it again.

Post Likes
    Did u check capacitor

Post Likes
    Wired to specs, Contactor chatters a little but its pulled in, got voltage out of the contactor and into the overload and the compressror windings, Compressor trys to start and heats up...

Post Likes
    Compressor has been down for a couple of 4 months,

Post Likes
    My guess would be, you liquid charged it too fast washing away the oil and bearings seized up, the funny noise was the liquid refrigerant slugging the compressor, by the time it stopped all the oil was gone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    My guess would be, you liquid charged it too fast washing away the oil and bearings seized up, the funny noise was the liquid refrigerant slugging the compressor, by the time it stopped all the oil was gone.
    X2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    X2
    X3

Contactor chattering, you sure its not single phasing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteside2831 View Post
    X3

Contactor chattering, you sure its not single phasing?
    I think is a single ph unit cause the external overload, chattering could be due to the locked compressor drawing high amps trying to star and voltage taking a dive. with the limited info provided everything is a guess.

Rocket, try reversing star and run, turn it on and hit it hard with a 2X4

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    If it isn't an electrical problem, I would agree with valdelocc. Check your refrigerant charge. Also the problem could be contamination in your refrigerant line. Check your filter/dryer, if your refrigerant is entering the compressor with contaminates or still in liquid form then that is bad for your compressor. Not enough refrigerant in your compressor could be causing the overheating.

Post Likes
    Write this down-ALWAYS check your power coming in. Then check the contacts on the contactor and power at the motor (compressor). Also never run anything that is over RLA. Also when it stopped what did it stop on? Thermal overload or phase monitor? A safety or did a winding burn apart? What kind of compressor? Ohm out windings. Lost a leg on the 3 phase? Is it 3 phase? More info=better answers.

Post Likes
    Yes it is 3 phase, What i think happen is that flooded the compressor on start up and cooked the compressor bearings, i am going to pump it down. realse the pressure and open the head. I wish it was an electrical problem but seems like i am going to have to replace the compressors maybe??? , compressor tries to start but doesnt crank over.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket600 View Post
    Yes it is 3 phase, What i think happen is that flooded the compressor on start up and cooked the compressor bearings, i am going to pump it down. realse the pressure and open the head. I wish it was an electrical problem but seems like i am going to have to replace the compressors maybe??? , compressor tries to start but doesnt crank over.
    have you try reversing the rotation?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in