+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Time To Get My Hands Dirty

Post Likes
    On the 4th of July, we had a big block party and all the neighbors were out. My next door neighbor, made a comment that his A/C was not working. I told him, I would take a look at it when it cooled down a little. After about 45 minutes, I had about 15 other neighbors ask me to come take a look at their equipment. The problem is, I don't have much feild experience and I really nervious about sticking my hands in other peoples equipment. I can troubleshoot the hell out of equipment over the phone. However when it comes to actually getting my hands on the equipment, I get really nervious. Today I have to change a run cap on a condenser, which will be pretty easy. I can read schematics, I can troubleshoot a refrigeration circuit, I know how to charge via super heat & subcooling. I am EPA certified, NATE certified, I have taken factory training courses, yet that was years ago. I guess my question is, how do I build my confidence? I don't want to be a service tech full time but I know I can make a lot of money out there in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Do as I say, not as I do

Post Likes
    Just goes to show all the certifications in the world can't replace experience. Building confidence is going to take actually doing it and not much else really helps. Just make sure you're not breaking any company rules by taking on these 'side jobs'.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    Are they paying you for this, are they freinds or people looking for a free service call.
    Why don't they just call a contractor, one with insurance and the whole 9 yards?
    15 free calls is a lot.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    NObody is born with experience.

First try the easy ones, the ones that are easily excesable.
    Try to get rid of the owner by letting him swith the thermostat, check the E meter etc, so you can work in peace.
    Do they [the neighbors] have any thing to help you with in return? house painters? carpet layers? car fixers?
    that would be nice you can swap hours with a closed wallet!

They obviously find you trustworthy, be frank with them if you have to return because you have to look things up.

HVAC-TALK is there for you / good luck.
    .................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Diceman
    Are they paying you for this, are they freinds or people looking for a free service call.
    Why don't they just call a contractor, one with insurance and the whole 9 yards?
    15 free calls is a lot.
    Oh they offered to pay. I have a buddy that is licensed, I talked to him a few minutes ago and he is telling me that he is getting ready to venture out on his own and is looking for some help.
    Do as I say, not as I do

Post Likes
    Oh they offered to pay. I have a buddy that is licensed, I talked to him a few minutes ago and he is telling me that he is getting ready to venture out on his own and is looking for some help. <<<<<

Take a deep breath and just wade into it like it is a
    pool filled with cold water on a hot day.

Very slowly till you get used to the water

Start with your own unit let it run for 10 minutes

Take temp readings check the filter,

Go out side look at the coil etc check pressures
    etc till it becomes comfortable for you

Then you can get into superheat and subcooling

Wow won't you be excited.

Post Likes
    always thought the biggest mistake a guy could make is letting his neighbors know what u really do lol hate coming home to relax and they knock on the door cause air has been broke since saturday but waited till u got home monday night after working 16 hours in the heat to tell u they just need u to "look at it" i ever move I'm telling my new neighbors I'm a physicist working on secret government projects and i drive this company van for cover.......i can see it now........relaxation......no knocks on the door..

Post Likes
    Neighbors....

You have good intentions, but, have tapped the the customer base from HELL...

I value your education, but unless you want to quite your day job you are paving the road to disaster...

Are you ready to start getting calls from these "neighbors" at 11 o'clock that their unit is doing somthing "funny"

I am at the point unless you are one of my commercial customers'...

Get the YELLOW pages out...

Stephen
    "Value our Differences"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by btj steamfitter / ref
    always thought the biggest mistake a guy could make is letting his neighbors know what u really do lol hate coming home to relax and they knock on the door cause air has been broke since saturday but waited till u got home monday night after working 16 hours in the heat to tell u they just need u to "look at it" i ever move I'm telling my new neighbors I'm a physicist working on secret government projects and i drive this company van for cover.......i can see it now........relaxation......no knocks on the door..
    LOL I tell them I know nothing and just a desk jockey

Oh wait I cant fix it LOL who am I kidding

Post Likes
    I use to get that. So I started doing invoices at over time rates. word spreads fast. that 1 repair fixed that.

Post Likes
    Yes you can make some decent side money. Confidence is an acquired art just stop take a deep breath and slow down and think about the basics. Tech support folks have helped me out plenty.

Post Likes
    I've been tempted lately to leave my tool pouch & gauges & freon at the shop on fridays. That way when I get called on the weekends, I can just tell em all my stuffs at the shop & theres not a thing I can do.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    I'm lucky here most of my neighbour's are on oil - I don't do oil and my vehicle is not signwritten yet either

on of the guys at work asked me to look at his auto ac - out of gas - broken pipe I said get it fixed then call me
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Hey penguin,.. my dick aint so dumb,.. it got me most of the way through high school.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in