Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone here know anything about troble shooting boat motors? My 1980 motor has issues. When cold it doesn't want to idle. I have to play with the idle lever to keep it running for about five minutes. Then it will run but it only seems to run on two of the four cylinders. After running around the lake with it coughing it finally starts to kick in and out then finally it seems to run on all cyls.
    Any ideas? Or do I just take it in and bend over. I seem to think that a power pack is going bad.
    Anyone know of a good trouble forum?

Help!
    Wally
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Powerpack sounds about right to me.I'll bet if you were to get someone to turn the key while you check for a spark you will not get one.

Just pulled the wire off the plug and see if you get a arc to ground..

Whats the old saying?? A boat is just a hole to.............

Opps forgot to mention,alittle gum out will help as well.

[Edited by simpleman on 07-06-2006 at 11:03 AM]

i don't know the answer. always carried mine in to the pros. there's nothing finer than being on the water but nothing worse than being stranded instead of enjoying. good luck ,happy boating!
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

http://www.brokeboats.com

If I had to guess, I would suspect a fuel related problem

This isn't a DIY site. Take your motor to a qualified service technician and pay them what they ask.

Originally posted by troyorr
    This isn't a DIY site. Take your motor to a qualified service technician and pay them what they ask.
    Oh...............................................

Sorry............................................

And here I thought that it was an open forun for us HVAC and related trade folks to kick around ideas and share info on things other than HVAC if needed.

Just looking for a little help Brother.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

motor boat forum for you all motors http://www.tenkillermarine.com/boatp...asp?topic=2772
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Air fuel electrical spark three things req for an engine to run

its either fuel or spark, I feel that you should look at the electrical side of things first check your electrical connections for cleanleness
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Must be the boating season. I have issues with my motor also. I found a new used rebuilt one but to much to ship to me.

Originally posted by The Penguin
    Air fuel electrical spark three things req for an engine to run

its either fuel or spark, I feel that you should look at the electrical side of things first check your electrical connections for cleanleness
    I would go the other way. Without actually looking at the motor and seeing it first hand I can't be 100% sure but by the way he described it, runs better after running for a few minutes, running on 2 and then 4 cylinders and no idle, all indicates to me fuel. Myself, on a motor that old I would take it in and have someone who knows what they are doing tackle it. Not only do they have the knowledge but they have the connections for parts and proper tools for the job.

If you want to know how to fix it right? Scrap that motor and but an Evinrude

those were the early model vro's in which the engine when first started runs the oil mixture lean until the engine warms up then returns to the 45:1 ratio. you are probably in need of carb servicing as well as possible bad engine temp sensor. but thats just my guess.

i like all the ideas guys

But get a honda light weight and plenty of 4 stroke power and torque too - less maintenance and trouble that a two stroke.

But I love the smell of two stroke in the morning
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

All symptoms point to the carbs to me.Has the boat sat long? Old fuel? You'll know when a powerpack goes bad....if it has twin powerpacks, it will only run on two cylinders. One powerpack, won't run at all. You can pull your sparkplugs and see how they're burning. All it takes is a little piece of dirt in that jet......change your fuel filter regularly also. I love my 90hp Johnson.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast