Thread: what size

Confused

I have a 1427 SQFT, single story home in western washington.
    5 large windows, (3 x 4 foot) two small windows, 2 x 2, 2 doors, 8 foot ceiling. I recently had a HVAC salesman look at my house and he just said, a two ton unit would work perfectly in your house. Does this sound about right? he didn't do any kind of in-house walk around or anything else, just noticed that I had a Trane two stage XL90 gas furnace and he said the coils would fit right under that and a two ton unit outside would never be working too hard. is this normal procedure? does 2 ton sound about right?

Have him do the calculations and get back to you. Also I would suggest that you get a least one more bid on your job and they should also do the calculations and not guess at the size.

Craiga,

What is the model number of your XL90 gas furnace? What is your electric rate? You might consider pairing a heat pump with gas furnace for possible savings in heating mode(dual fuel). No longer is nat gas a value fuel for winter heating and a heat pump might be a good addition for your relatively mild winters and save you some dollars. I would think a 2 1/2 ton would be a better choice but you won't know for certain without a professionally performed load calculation. Also your ductwork should be checked for size, overall condition, supplies/returns, insulation properties, and any airflow issues.

My opinion.

Just responded to a similar post. As stated here, calculations are important. You need a Manual J calculation done. Do a google search for "Manual J calculation" and you'll see why. Don't trust them to look around and hit on a number. What might that say about the rest of the work they do. . .?
    Terry McIver, executive editor, Contracting Business magazine.

re: what size

Wow, I had no idea what all went in to figuring out what size ac unit to put in to the house. I think for now, I will have another contractor come in and check the ductwork, and do a full load analysis on the house before I make any decisions. I do know that our electricity rate is higher than NG, but by how much I"m not sure. Lots of homework to do. thanks for all your help.

Don't forget to check the ductwork using Manual D, after getting the right sized AC. You might have to modify the ductwork.