why do government employees get suspended with pay

can anyone answer this?

isn't suspended with pay just another paid vacation
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Ultimately, because "We the People" allow it...after all, it's all those other politicians that are corrupt, not anyone we would vote for...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I imagine they suspend them with pay while they are investigating to see if termination is in order. If they didn't pay them, they would probably get sued for much more in the end if it was found that they were ultimately innocent. I'm thinking we can mostly thank lawyers for this.

Its part of my union contract with the agency I work for. The agency is smart though they will not suspend anyone with pay while doing an investigation. If there are very serious allegations that need to be investigated they will do a temporary transfer while the investigation is conducted. If at the end of the investigation the agency does move forward with termination per the union contract the employee will be placed on administrative leave for ten days before the termination takes affect. I think that is done to give the union a chance to appeal the decision. Out of the ten or so people I know that have been placed on admin leave before termination only one has ever tried to fight the termination. The rest have just left quietly. I do know in the state im in (Oregon) there are additional protection involving terminating a goverment employee. Im not a lawyer but if I remember correctly the protections have been given to the employees through court cases and a couple of laws. The idea being the goverment must follow dew process procedure just like if it was a criminal case being brought against the employee via the police. Ive never dove fully into that part of it since I am union and there for covered under the union contract.

Simple.....They are paid with OPM. A seemingly endless supply exists for those who would pay them. Sweet gig if you can swing it.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

My experience has seen it is not just govt. employees; read your labor laws.

Suspension with pay is where the employer is investigating allegations, so the employee is not penalized for what could be just accusations or interfere with the fact finding.

Suspension without pay is a disciplinary measure.

I don't think it's cool on these forums to insinuate that others are less of a worker because of who they work for. I'll bet there are lots of govt. employees signed up on this board who work just as hard and are just as smart as any others that work through a union or in an open shop.

Nobody is putting down govt employees here. Sure they are fine people. The way the govt pays and compensates is the issue. I'd promise anyone anything if I'm paying with OPM. That should not be the case is the point.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

This policy comes down to one simple truth as indicated in our laws -- and that is we are innocent until proven guilty.

If a person is found guilty then he/she will pay the price. Until that time they are just taken away from the atmosphere under which they are accused so as not to do more damage should they actually be guilty.

Any form of government is highly regulated under rules of most unions so the accused must be paid until found guilty or innocent. The free enterprise system is not so safe as once accused the public and it's mind can ruin an innocents persons life, both personal and business, just for being wrongfully accused of something.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835