Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To clarify...I did not mean to infer that York has been using mag bearings in the Navy, but that the Navy has been using mag bearings for years.

I'm third party to information, so it is filtering in. The 3 grand difference I previously referred to is operating cost/ year, not cost between the two technologies. The local is in S. Dakota and electrical engineer seems to think they have fairly reliable power, and clean. Site has emergency generators that when tested should not affect the chillers; except when loss of power occurs, projected at 6 times/ year. Question is sent to facilities to find out if that is realistic.

The mag chiller is the YMC^2, the other chiller proposed is a YK series.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

find an old r-123 YT and put that in.

Exclamation

This chiller has no way to tell if you have a HARD LANDING , and by the way the only way you can have a HARD LANDING is to cut the cables from drive to motor, a power loss is not a hard landing ,just came back from the test lab at york on this chiller. This chiller will make you very happy,also the next ymc2 will have, oh sorry i can not tell you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkMech3
    and by the way the only way you can have a HARD LANDING is to cut the cables from drive to motor
    Or if the the drive craters...which many did prior to bringing it to market. I know you are still drinking the kool-aid. I have not heard any glowing reports of any of the YMC² chillers as of yet. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of York equipment, but the JCI purchase of York International did absolutely nothing to make the product better. IMO they are slowly making it worse. Bringing the YMC² to market before it had a reliable VSD was a mistake. They are trying to play catch-up with the other manufacturers who are using the Turbocor compressor.

I'd like to see the mag drive chillers for Navy use. My money says they are non-existent. I don't think they'd survive the depth charge testing. Watch this video and listen at about 50 seconds to how cleverly Mr. Montagne chooses his words. He says nothing about mag bearings on Navy ships.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Or if the the drive craters...which many did prior to bringing it to market. I know you are still drinking the kool-aid. I have not heard any glowing reports of any of the YMC² chillers as of yet. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of York equipment, but the JCI purchase of York International did absolutely nothing to make the product better. IMO they are slowly making it worse. Bringing the YMC² to market before it had a reliable VSD was a mistake. They are trying to play catch-up with the other manufacturers who are using the Turbocor compressor.

I'd like to see the mag drive chillers for Navy use. My money says they are non-existent. I don't think they'd survive the depth charge testing. Watch this video and listen at about 50 seconds to how cleverly Mr. Montagne chooses his words. He says nothing about mag bearings on Navy ships.
    Yea I haven't heard good things about the YMC2 either especially the form 7 breakdowns , if your gonna buy a York buy a YK or a YKE or if your set on magnectic bearing type machine do your homework first before you make that choice.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son
    Ok, a few more questions: What is a "hard landing"? I have an idea, but do not want to assume...we all know the saying.
    You may have surmised this by now, but a hard landing is when power is lost and the rotating assembly sits down hard on the bearings. What is supposed to happen is that when the compressor is given a "stop" command and the rotation stops the magnetism of the bearings dissipates and gently sets the rotating assembly on the bearings. What York has attempted to do is have a capacitor bank that supplies the necessary power to keep the shaft levitated until coast down was complete. I heard that wasn't working too well for them.

Yep, got that figured out. The capacitor stuff is good info.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Take a look at the Multistack line, we just completed the training at their Sparta facilty and were blown away by the product! Other mechanics at the training that have several Multistack customers give high marks on reliabilty.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

HERE ya go if u dont already have
    Attached Files Attached Files
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Take a look at Thermalcare we have a few of them in, they were used alot on production cooling but are now finding there way into the comfort cooling market. This is a good product, I am referring to their Turbocor chiller line.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post

You should have seen them in the lab after the explosion. Have to agree, the product was rushed to market.

If they want to take life-cycle cost as the major consideration before purchase, you should inform them that even though no lube side maintenance is necessary, once jci gets that machine on the ground they'll get their money every time it has an out of warranty problem. I agree with the guy who said to get a used YT and put it in. There's a good chiller.

Not to highjack thread just curious of anyones input on the Mcquay magnetic bearing chillers??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast