Thread: Shutdown noise

Shutdown noise

Sorry guys. My first blog and pretty sure I am in the wrong area. I have a pair of Trane XR 15's we installed new in June of 2010. Ever since we have had a loud clunk at shutdown. It wakes both us and our neighbors up early, and does not stop. Every 45mins to an hour all day. Sadly, a friend of mine is the local Trane dealer and despite more than a dozen calls to our home and new parts, etc. we have no solution and now are at odds with each other. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by Trane mystery View Post
    Sorry guys. My first blog and pretty sure I am in the wrong area. I have a pair of Trane XR 15's we installed new in June of 2010. Ever since we have had a loud clunk at shutdown. It wakes both us and our neighbors up early, and does not stop. Every 45mins to an hour all day. Sadly, a friend of mine is the local Trane dealer and despite more than a dozen calls to our home and new parts, etc. we have no solution and now are at odds with each other. Any ideas???
    Ok lets start from the top.... You had to new Trane XR 15 installed are they heat pumps or straight a/c unit? What size line sets? What size are they? Ever unit makes a noise at start up and shutdown!!! This includes Trane as far as far as a loud clunk does not sound right.

I am a Trane dealer and will say while quite the Trane XR15 units do have a mild start up noise and shutdown noise but nothing that would should waking you up! What has your Trane dealer/installer said about this? I have a Trane XR 15 heat pump in my home and when it starts up and shuts down it makes a noise but only time I can hear it is if I am outside near the unit.

Changing parts is not the answer unless the problem has been isolated to those areas of the systems. We have installed 100's of XR 15 and Xl15 units with no problems... I have to asks has he checked the charge on Both systems? Without looking at it I would start there along with line set size. If the compressor does not have the proper amount of refrigerant these can be a problem but for it to be happening on both systems is rare to say the lease.

If he can't figure out the problem, it would be rise to get a Trane tech field tech out to your home with the installer and start to trouble shut the systems. This way Trane will be aware of the problem and advise the tech what needs to be done to correct the issue. All in all the XR line is a good reliable system. Keep us posted on what else they come up with. As I no yourself and the installer wants answers and Trane field tech might have them???

Would a long lineset make it louder as well? Are both units just as loud, or only the unit that farthest from the air handler or furnace?

Have you considered installing a short fence 3' away from the units to absorb and deflect some of the noise?

XR 15 Clunk at shutdown

They are heat pumps. As I said, I have had the dealer who installed the units out and he sends his guys out. Frustrating, because the one guy is figity, stays on his cell phone the whole time, and then has left 2 times reporting he heard nothing. Then I finally get the principle to the house a couple of times and he says he does not hear it. The sound occurs around every 45 minutes; you can't shut the units down as they try everytime to make the noise occur. It does it on its own cycle. The noise sounds like someone taking a stainless round bottom salad bowl and dropping it upside down on a smooth concrete garage floor. That is as close as I can explain it. I first have to find a tech in West Palm Beach who will show up to my home at 7 am, grab a chair and a cup of coffee, and sit outside for up to an hour without walking back to the truck, etc. These guys either don't want to believe my wife and I, or don't have the interest in repairing it. I am not looking for anything for free. We just want to stop the problem.
    My two units are XR 15 mod. no. 4TTR5048E1000AB MFR Date 6/2010
    Ser no. 10232HJD2F
    and mod. no. 4TTR5036E1000AB MFR Date 6/2010
    Ser. no. 10253UBX5F
    The units are approx 50 feet from the actual air handlers inside my home. The smaller unit has a slightly longer run.

Both your units use Trane scroll compressors and have factory compressor blankets. I would have them recheck the charge of the systems, however scrolls can make some strange sounds on shutdown.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Oh by the way, a 4TTR is not a Heatpump a 4TWR is and it uses a Climatuff recip and they will for sure make a clunk at shutdown! It's a well known issue if that's what you want to call it.

XR 15 Clunking noise at Shutdown

I will have someone out to check the charge of the units. So - is there a cure for the noise? or is it just a trait?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane mystery View Post
    I will have someone out to check the charge of the units. So - is there a cure for the noise? or is it just a trait?
    If there 4TWR's, there Climatuffs and IMHO its a trait.

Thanks

Check for slop in the hub on the fan blade. Normally I wouldn't post advice like this in the AOP forum, but it's unlikely that your tech would think to check that. FWIW, some fans will make a banging noise on shutdown even when the hub is ok. IOW, it isn't necessarily the compressor making the noise.

Good to know. Thanks again guys.