Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by gruntly
    Sounds Totalitarian to me...

Few guys at the top... AND I MEAN GUYS, ladies... making all the decisions for the rest.

I moved out of the house to make my own decisions as my children will after me (I hope). The only compromise I make voluntarily is to my wife.

You guys down there surprise me, really. Negative vibes concerning non-Americans trying to be American, and yet totally accept people who reject that which has made the U.S. what it is today.

In south-western Ontario there are the Mennonite that practice abstinance from social mainsteam as well, somewhat like the Amish but they have different levels of indulgence. The guy who hired me into my first job as an AC mechanic was a Mennonite AC mechanic himself living out of the community, but there are orthodox Mennonites as well.

It's all in the order by which we see ourselves...and this itself always changes to suit the moment.

Do Orthodox Amish see themselves as Americans first and then Amish or Amish first then Americans?
    Religion over Government... Same as many other cultures/people around this globe. Does this prevent them from be conscripted into government military?
    I don't get any indications of a totalitarian family structure. I see men and women doing the same jobs and driving the same buggies. The children seem to be very content and family gatherings are a familiar site.

The Amish are actually a branch off of the Mennonites. The Mennonites are the older of this Christian order of people who keep their lives simpler in order to not be distracted from God. I don't get it, but it seems to work for those who live it.

There seems to be no pressure to stay in the lifestyle. Children are not considered Amish in faith until they have had the oportunity to go out into the world as they wish, including the allowance of alcohol drinking and general rabble rousing. After their year of whooping it up they then decide if they wish to join the Amish faith in which they were raised.

Again; I don't get it, but if it works for those who choose this life, then that is the American way. The Amish are passifists and have no place in the military. Otherwise, the Amish pay taxes without using any government amenities other then the roads which require them to put heftier shoes on their horses. They speak a German dialict among themselves but use English to work within the "outside" world. As far as I know, the Amish consider themselves to be Americans living the Amish way.

Some of the negatives I hear from the hood are;

* Some Amish run puppy mill style kennels that is cruel and inhumane to puppies.

* The Amish hoard money and buy up lots of land that could be better used for developement. (Gee, I wonder who's complaining about that one.)

* The Amish are in the marijuana bisness by growing marijauna among the tobacco crops. (That would sure explain the drive by buggy shootings mentioned earlier )

* Amish are dirty and smell bad. (not something I have ever noticed when in close proximity with Amish in stores.)

* There is an inbreeding problem causing retardation because the Amish are so close knit that they intermarry too close to blood relations.

I think that too many people are just too intolerant of my Amish neighbors. I may think their ways to be strange, but so what?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

They think you're kinda strange too. But they deal with it.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by gruntly
    Sounds Totalitarian to me...

Few guys at the top... AND I MEAN GUYS, ladies... making all the decisions for the rest.

I moved out of the house to make my own decisions as my children will after me (I hope). The only compromise I make voluntarily is to my wife.

You guys down there surprise me, really. Negative vibes concerning non-Americans trying to be American, and yet totally accept people who reject that which has made the U.S. what it is today.

In south-western Ontario there are the Mennonite that practice abstinance from social mainsteam as well, somewhat like the Amish but they have different levels of indulgence. The guy who hired me into my first job as an AC mechanic was a Mennonite AC mechanic himself living out of the community, but there are orthodox Mennonites as well.

It's all in the order by which we see ourselves...and this itself always changes to suit the moment.

Do Orthodox Amish see themselves as Americans first and then Amish or Amish first then Americans?
    Religion over Government... Same as many other cultures/people around this globe. Does this prevent them from be conscripted into government military?
    I don't get any indications of a totalitarian family structure. I see men and women doing the same jobs and driving the same buggies. The children seem to be very content and family gatherings are a familiar site.

The Amish are actually a branch off of the Mennonites. The Mennonites are the older of this Christian order of people who keep their lives simpler in order to not be distracted from God. I don't get it, but it seems to work for those who live it.

There seems to be no pressure to stay in the lifestyle. Children are not considered Amish in faith until they have had the oportunity to go out into the world as they wish, including the allowance of alcohol drinking and general rabble rousing. After their year of whooping it up they then decide if they wish to join the Amish faith in which they were raised.

Again; I don't get it, but if it works for those who choose this life, then that is the American way. The Amish are passifists and have no place in the military. Otherwise, the Amish pay taxes without using any government amenities other then the roads which require them to put heftier shoes on their horses. They speak a German dialict among themselves but use English to work within the "outside" world. As far as I know, the Amish consider themselves to be Americans living the Amish way.

Some of the negatives I hear from the hood are;

* Some Amish run puppy mill style kennels that is cruel and inhumane to puppies.

* The Amish hoard money and buy up lots of land that could be better used for developement. (Gee, I wonder who's complaining about that one.)

* The Amish are in the marijuana bisness by growing marijauna among the tobacco crops. (That would sure explain the drive by buggy shootings mentioned earlier )

* Amish are dirty and smell bad. (not something I have ever noticed when in close proximity with Amish in stores.)

* There is an inbreeding problem causing retardation because the Amish are so close knit that they intermarry too close to blood relations.

I think that too many people are just too intolerant of my Amish neighbors. I may think their ways to be strange, but so what?
    jesus...these folks sound almost as bad as the Irish...of course the worst people I ever met in my life were Italians....Id be up for exterminating every italian from the planet...just all round bad people...no personal hygeine...lazy..ignorant....

I think there missing out on everything. I think it's stupid and ignorant of them. I mean who in their right mind wouldn't want all the luxuries of modern life? This is in my mind progress.

This of course is my opinion, and I am free to express it. It' as if the next guy on here says there cool and he digs the way they live. Each of us has an opinion. It's just mine is not a positive one of them.

But one thing about them. I wouldn't mind paying em like 1 buck an hour to do me a post and beam constructed home. They are good at it.

Ask yourself this, the next time you think their awesome. What can they do you, you being a redblooded air conditioning or refrigeration mechanic. Can't help me in any way. They don't even consume or use what I repair and install. And thats about the only group that don't. Even muslims have to have guys like us.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    I think there missing out on everything. I think it's stupid and ignorant of them. I mean who in their right mind wouldn't want all the luxuries of modern life? This is in my mind progress.

This of course is my opinion, and I am free to express it. It' as if the next guy on here says there cool and he digs the way they live. Each of us has an opinion. It's just mine is not a positive one of them.

But one thing about them. I wouldn't mind paying em like 1 buck an hour to do me a post and beam constructed home. They are good at it.

Ask yourself this, the next time you think their awesome. What can they do you, you being a redblooded air conditioning or refrigeration mechanic. Can't help me in any way. They don't even consume or use what I repair and install. And thats about the only group that don't. Even muslims have to have guys like us.
    A buck an hour? They are set back in their ways, NOT RETARDED! The Amish in general are very good craftspeople, but they don't sell themselves cheap.

I don't recall stating or even hinting to thinking that the Amish are awesome. They seem more like people actually living the way the so called "environmentalists" so hypocritically spew out how things should be. How the Amish benefit me has absolutely nothing to do with my respecting their lifestyle. Like I stated; I don't get it. That doesn't mean its wrong.

I'll tell you what; you move into a predominantly Muslim area and take advantage of their money till you become a headless wonder or die from a bombblastomy. Me? I'll be quite content with my quirky but passive neighbors that don't benefit me financially.

Originally posted by corny

jesus...these folks sound almost as bad as the Irish...of course the worst people I ever met in my life were Italians....Id be up for exterminating every italian from the planet...just all round bad people...no personal hygeine...lazy..ignorant....
    Eastern PA is definitley not for you From the italian controlled Philly area to the German and Irish further into Lancaster and Harrisburg you would definitely have some problems

There is also a lot of mixing of three different cultures being mentioned on this thread. I must admit, I don't always figure out right away who is who when I encounter members of the different groups because they dress similarly to me.

The three groups are;

Amish; the most restrictive
    Mennonites; similar to Amish but not as far behind the times.
    Pennsylvania Dutch; German ancestry of crafts peoples that otherwise are mostly like other rural peoples.

It took me off guard when I first moved into the area and stood in line behind who I thought was an Amish woman who pulled out a cell phone and started talking on it. Turns out she was Mennonite.

The Mennonites are the original group of Christians with these cultural values. While still in Germany, the Mennonites became a bit too easy going for a certain Brother Amish who started a break off faith of his own. The PA Dutch are not even Dutch, they are German. When this group of Germans immigrated to the U.S. they referred to themselves as Deutsch, which is German for "German". Locals mistook that for being Dutch and the Deutsch never corrected the mistake.

geez, I was speaking to the public atg large robo, not at all directed at ya. And you must not forget, I already live in the most predominate area of the US for muslims. . Sucks to admit that, but, what are ya gonna do?

Hey RoBo!

Och naw! Though the cow over the fence some hay! But Wait a minute once! You'ins are pullin' yer Pud too much! I think somebody's running around like a fart in glove!
    ...And while i'm at it, this is all poppycock and Horsefeathers! {you pickin' up what i'm puttin down cuz?} HeHe

Hey Robo

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Well, I am literally right in the middle of the Amish in Lancaster County. The way I understand it is that the Amish simply try to stay behind the times in order to not be distracted by everything new and improved.

The electricity issue is a matter of not being "tied" to the outside world with wires. Same goes for the telephones. Most Amish have phones that are located either in a barn or other outbuilding so as to not have wiring tie their home to the outside world.

There is progression with the Amish, just at a much slower pace. Periodically the elders will vote on advancing into a more modern tool or method of doing things as they see fit that such a move will not interfere with their faith.

It may seem strange, but then again; what religion does not have some strange doings?
    Are you thinking about becoming an Amish-Jew

Somehow I just don't see me giving up Jesus or computers.

The Amish are in a bad position. They depend on competing with us for our business for much of their survival. They even have computers and faxes in their sawmill offices around my area and their work-around is using generators or batteries and converters to power them up. So, it's either advance as much as their elders will allow or suffer financially. A buddy of mine used to live right in one community and had nightly theater for the kids who were allowed to come over and watch TV! They are in a tight spot. They either have to allow what they don't want or fail as businesses. We are pushing our way of life on them rather than them push any thing on us. As for crashing into buggies, if 'English' drivers would slow down and drive sanely there wouldn'd be such accidents and a lot less bloated smelly deer carcasses along the roads for travelers and locals to enjoy! They are loosing their culture, their way of life, because of us. But then, should we stop and revert to life as it was 150 years ago? NOT!!

There is an Amish furniture factory about a quarter of a mile from my house that has one room with electricity to operate an updated office. The rest of the showroom/customer area has no electricity.

There is gas lamp lighting and a ceiling fan in the main area. When I asked about the ceiling fan, I was told that it operates by pneumatic pressure.

I don't see much of a slow down in the Amish being able to work. No one is pushing anything on the Amish, they are making their own decisions on what they prefer to deal with or not.

I personally find myself trying to rely less and less on modern conveniences at home and find it kinda nice. Our large family room that has the wood stove in it has no TV, radio or any other electronics. This room is for sitting, talking and reading.

I didn't even use a full tank of oil for heating last winter. Most of the heat for the house came from the wood stove.

Still don't have a clothes dryer, although I am getting heat about this one. In the summer we hang clothes on the lines outside and in the winter we hang them in the basement where the added moisture helps with humidifying the house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast