Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Having grown up in dutch country [central pennsy], I thought I knew a bit about Amish customs. Either I didn't or they changed...I had occasion to accompany a friend to an Amish tool and die shop and what I saw ranged from odd to ingenious. First off, the friendly owner was totally forthcoming with answers so I didn't feel like I was being obnoxious by asking *why*, but here's what I found; Machines are Ok, but electricity inside the building is NOT, so the nearly new Bridgport has a Briggs Quantum mounted in place of the original motor!-and there's a little step ladder there so you can climb up and give her a good pull when it's time to mill. Then there's a lot of turn-of-the-century machinery that's powered off a jackshaft that runs outside to some sort of industrial flathead 6 [continental maybe?]. There's a BIG KelloggAmerican air compressor outside that runs all manner of modified equipment from a shopvac with what looks like a smog pump driving the impeller [that somehow sucks quite well], to a bench grinder/belt sander combo that runs off what appears to be an old diesel starter motor-[air of course]. And my favorite-the phone is in a box on the pole outside the shop and when there's a call the folks inside the shop are notified via a solenoid operated airhorn. Strangely enough electric welding is Ok so long as it's outside the shop and things like calculators and DROs are Ok as long as they are battery driven-same goes for all the 18 & 24v DeWalt hand tools in the shop...I would have taken pics but I got the feeling it would not have been well recieved.

Hmm

Back sliding hippocrates
    Saddle Up!

I would love to see a gas powered Bridgeport.

That's a little bit different from the way they do it here. We have lots of Amish furniture shops, and they use all different kinds of electric tools inside. The way I understand it, it's not the electricity that they have a problem with.. it's buying it from the power company.

Their shops look about the same as everybody else's.. except for the big diesel generator out back.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

So instead of buying electricity, they buy gasoline/diesel....things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

yeah pure stupidty to say the least none of it makes anysense at all , I know what you mean I live in Central Pa and what really ticks me off it some how your fault if you hit them idiots in there horse and buggy with no lights and no flashers at night time.

That and a few other things that really bother me about them, oh its also ok for them to use what ever tools when the work for some one but the cant use them at home and also dont pay taxes either

They also smell and look wierd, the wierdest thing you will ever see is them at hershey park , now that never makes any sense what so ever ?

Religious Freedom is the reason the U.S.A. exists. Live and let live, its the brotherly and American way.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Talking Amish quiz

What goes Clop, Clop, Clop Clop-BANG, Clop, Clop, Clop?

An Amish drive-by.....

Well, I am literally right in the middle of the Amish in Lancaster County. The way I understand it is that the Amish simply try to stay behind the times in order to not be distracted by everything new and improved.

The electricity issue is a matter of not being "tied" to the outside world with wires. Same goes for the telephones. Most Amish have phones that are located either in a barn or other outbuilding so as to not have wiring tie their home to the outside world.

There is progression with the Amish, just at a much slower pace. Periodically the elders will vote on advancing into a more modern tool or method of doing things as they see fit that such a move will not interfere with their faith.

It may seem strange, but then again; what religion does not have some strange doings?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I think it's cool the way they have taken things at their own pace. It's kinda like they are the masters of their world and they will live life the way they see fit and not to others standards. Makes you think about it , huh?
    Saddle Up!

At least they are free enough to live the way they want to.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Sounds Totalitarian to me...

Few guys at the top... AND I MEAN GUYS, ladies... making all the decisions for the rest.

I moved out of the house to make my own decisions as my children will after me (I hope). The only compromise I make voluntarily is to my wife.

You guys down there surprise me, really. Negative vibes concerning non-Americans trying to be American, and yet totally accept people who reject that which has made the U.S. what it is today.

In south-western Ontario there are the Mennonite that practice abstinance from social mainsteam as well, somewhat like the Amish but they have different levels of indulgence. The guy who hired me into my first job as an AC mechanic was a Mennonite AC mechanic himself living out of the community, but there are orthodox Mennonites as well.

It's all in the order by which we see ourselves...and this itself always changes to suit the moment.

Do Orthodox Amish see themselves as Americans first and then Amish or Amish first then Americans?
    Religion over Government... Same as many other cultures/people around this globe. Does this prevent them from be conscripted into government military?
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

You gotta admit it, 'dem calico dresses is HOT!!!

Originally posted by -80guru
    Back sliding hippocrates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast