Thread: A/C still not working! need to replace it, help!

Post Likes
    I have a 6 year old split system. The furnace is branded Fridgidaire with an unknown coil and a Gibson condensor outside (all builder grade stuff). This unit has been probelmatic since year 2 after installation (we built the house in 2000). When the unit went on the fritz this summer I decided to stop messing around and get a contract with a big, local HVAC firm. Well, they came out and told me I needed a new coil, safety cut off switch, and plenum -xxxx. OK, that worked for a week (they installed the wrong coil the first time and had to come replace it. I ended up with a Trane 3.5 ton coil). When I called them back out they told me my compressor was not running. But a xxxx "booster" would get it running again. Done. That worked for another day. Now they have found a Freon leak in the condensor coil outside (Gibson 3.0 ton) and are telling me it will be xxxxx to replace it!!!! My wife is expecting and due any day and it's 90 degrees in the master bedroom (we're in Atlanta, GA). I HAVE TO GET THIS FIXED.

I have given up on trying to repair my existing unit. I am considering getting a Carrier Comfort Series (installed by Sears)or a Lennox Elite(installed by Service Experts). Both systems are in the xxx range and both use the newer 410A refridgerant.

I know I got hosed on the coil "repairs" but I went with a reputable local company...really.

Any thouhgs on next steps (Carrier or Lennox, Sears or Service Experts)for me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    >>> Edit: No Pricing. Please review the site rules before further posting. <<<

Post Likes
    Sears uses outside contractors, and don't have any real control over them.

Post Likes
    sounds to me like you found a parts changer alot of the contract company dont pay well so there techs are generally not the best out the id try calling another company.

6 years isnt that old i would at least get a second opinion from a A/C company not a contract company`s

i worked for a large contract company for 5 years as a supervisor they sold replacement contracts on appliances and a/c in all the time i was there they might have changed 10 units

[Edited by imperix on 07-05-2006 at 12:25 AM]

Post Likes

More than 50% of residential installations have low airflow and airflow leakage issues.

Find a company that will perform a heating and cooling load calculation room by room and total load. The total load calculation will be used to determine the correct system size and the room by room calculations used to check the duct sizes to each room. Don't assume the duct sizes are currently correct.

Undersized ducts create low airflow which directly affects the system operation, raises the operating cost and decreases the lifespan of the system.

The correct sizing of the ducts and the quality of the installation as well as matched equipment is far more important than the brand you buy.

Norm

Post Likes
    Don't pi$$ your money away. Get the $88 Wal-mart window unit for your bedroom window so your wife can be cool. You did get hosed,that said....call the owner of this company and voice your concerns instead of this forum. He/She might actually want to help you. You paid for service you didn't receive...tell them to quit screwing around and send out their best tech. You also have a mis-matched system, so it's going to take a "pro" to make it work. You got hosed when you built your house.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Most home builders (contractors) know very little about HVAC and they often just subcontract to the very lowest bidder. And, you get just that, a low bid HVAC job sometimes from genuine hacks.

It sounds like that is exactly what you got. Any HVAC contractor who mixes brands is a hack.

I would not allow the same company to so much as step into my home.

Post Likes
    ..with the exception of certain "rebadged" equipment where it's the same item with two different names on it. I know that Carrier's own product data sheets have Bryant coil models listed, for instance.

Not disagreeing at all that mixing brands is bad, just pointing out that occasionally (and not in this case) it's possible to appear to mix brands without actually doing so.

Post Likes
    stay away from the sears install and get many quotes, have heard nothing good about service experts but have not heard anything bad either. get yourself 4 solid quotes and be comfortable....good luck and congrats with the new baby to be.........

Post Likes
    Baby due, middle of summer, nailed by local guys about 3 times, now may not be the best time to overhaul the AC.

On the other hand you already have found a few places NOT to use, so maybe you don't have too many lemons to go before you find a decent honest guy. Hint, however you were picking them, maybe try a different method.

Some AC is 100% better than no AC, so getting one or two cheap window units for now, just in case, might be smart. Or consider moving in with your motherinlaw for the summer.

Post Likes

Portable Unit

Why not get a portable unit while looking for a reputable contractor (through referral/asking neighbours).

You can rent one of those.

There are some powerful portable units around.

Post Likes
    I have to get this fixed. I just don't want to get hosed again! Does anyone know of any reputable dealers in the Atlanta, GA area?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in