Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEMA regs

Thumbs down

Has us in some places putting condensing units 12 feet or higher in the air depending on the flood plane. Some people at FEMA years ago got together and decided keeping the condenser dry was more important than a persons safety.

There are no standards for building the stand and I have seen many that shake, rot and are unsafe from the day they were made. I have seen 3 to 4 condensers on them side by side and are big as 5 ton's each. There are no mandatory guidelines in building them, no clearances for standing or rails. One service call you can be on the ground working then the next 15 feet in the air. It is easy while troubleshooting to forget you are that high up. I have never thought keeping these units dry was worth the risk of hurting someone. These stands that are getting older are at risk of falling. Just working on one that high up is another safety problem. Wonder why OSHA doesn't fine FEMA?

When I lived in Key West, we also had to put the CU on a rack, attachd to the side of the house, that was on stilts, because of FEMA.
    Couldn't pull a permit with out an engineer's stamp on the plans that showed how the rack was made and fastened.

Where is this taking place? This sounds like FEMA is making up the rules as they go along. Are you sure this is not some local FEMA official making this up?

Have you seen a copy of the official FEMA regs regarding this?

Norm

Originally posted by NormChris

Where is this taking place? This sounds like FEMA is making up the rules as they go along. Are you sure this is not some local FEMA official making this up?

Have you seen a copy of the official FEMA regs regarding this?

Norm
    Norm. It happens if you build in a flood plane. Most of those places would be coastal areas. We don't put them up there for our health.

I think OSHA reqs require a fixed ladder with a cage after so many feet of height. And perhaps a working platform as well.

Same crap here, I refused to work on this one, they had chicken wire blocking the pigeons (and Techs) out, why put them this freakin high, if the water gets up there air conditioning will be the least of their problems.

Look at any house in Monroe County, Florida.
    The building Dept, FEMA, and DCA will not let you put a condensing unit on the ground if you're in a flood zone. Must be above the flood zone. Usually anywhere from 5 to 14 feet.
    Here in S. Fl. (Miami)a CU must be bolted down. If on a roof top, must be bolted, and strapped or cabled down to the roof. All with engineers stamp on plans......
    You can always tell who didn't pull a permit, as there will be no straps or cables.

So that makes for at least two states I never what to do residential AC in, Arizona and Florida!

Originally posted by arpa
    The building Dept, FEMA, and DCA will not let you put a condensing unit on the ground if you're in a flood zone. Must be above the flood zone. Usually anywhere from 5 to 14 feet.
    Here in S. Fl. (Miami)a CU must be bolted down. If on a roof top, must be bolted, and strapped or cabled down to the roof. All with engineers stamp on plans......
    You can always tell who didn't pull a permit, as there will be no straps or cables.
    Yes, we have to strap them down. My point, they don't care about the danger of working on them. Just that they don't get wet

Originally posted by NormChris

So that makes for at least two states I never what to do residential AC in, Arizona and Florida!
    LOL

Originally posted by James 3528
    Originally posted by arpa
    Yes, we have to strap them down. My point, they don't care about the danger of working on them. Just that they don't get wet
    I agree.
    Also:
    Nothing better than working on a large roof top ac, and some numnuts runs the strapping or cables right on top of one of the access panels......

you Yanks sure do have to do some funny stuff down there. I think some of the "officals" have been smoking something good or really bad down there.

As JAmes said a submerged condensor is the least of their problems when a storm hits
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

2 little condensers sitting on their own private deck, how sweet.
    After the polar ice caps melt, it won't matter anyway.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast